Atlanta Beat WWC Heroes [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Poachin_Goalz, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    So far Sawa has two goals in the Japan opener and Cindy has tallied one for the home team. Scurry has also chimed in with a strong performance against Sweden. Hopefully Kylie will get some PT. I think that she could really contribute in a positive way. I am also looking forward to Sawa vs. Hooper/Nonen for a chance at second round glory. So far the Beat players are doing us proud. What is everyone's opinion of Germany? They look tough (and huge). I hope we have what it takes to face them.

2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    First; in spite of other issues Kylie should start against Nigeria. Nigeria is VERY physical and she can handle that as well or better than anyone else. Also Nigeria looked VERY vulnerable to the kind of flank play she brings.

On Hooper; Canada’s coach is playing her in DEFENSE and that is a stupid move. The excuse is that her leadership is needed in the back BUT she is not a defender and that play is taking away most of her best abilities. She is OK as a defender but there are players that are almost as good in the defense sitting on the bench and there is no one that can produce goals like she can at this level.

The defense might give up one more goal a game with another defender in the back BUT I believe that the attack would be two, or more, goals better per game with Hooper up top.

Nonen has looked fairly good but she still seems hobbled a bit and her passes are off; Maybe she is missing Hooper as a target for her passes.

Cindy made Sweden’s defenders look silly a lot and scored on a great header but I would rather see her as the attacking mid against Nigeria as her distribution will frustrate the Nigerian center and she is one of the few players tall enough to see over the tall Nigerian center and win headers against them.

Sawa is the best midfielder in the tournament so far. She’s everywhere - she’s everywhere.

Bri has been solid and very intimidating in goal. Would anyone expect different?

The Beat players are doing well but the Canadians are not doing as well as I hoped.

After yesterday’s play we better NOT be looking at Germany as our main obstacle. It looks like Norway not Brazil will end up second so we will, most probably, meet Norway the only team in the world with a winning record against the US, if we are number one in our group. If we are second, not at all out of the question, then we will meet a VERY hot Brazil.

After watching the Brazil/Norway game I believe that Brazil might be the team to beat in this tournament.

We must play each game as they come. We cannot look at the snake on the path ahead or the snake we are stepping over at the time will reach out and bite us.

3. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Haven't seen Brazil play but I still think Germany is the team to beat. Tall and physical, with good passing and playmaking abilities.

I was impressed with Sweden. I don't think Norway is going to be the team it has been in the past. Remember those NA friendlies of 2003? Granted they've changed their squad up a bunch but was it too late?

Hooper needs to be moved up the field if Canada hopes to beat Japan. At this point though I won't be surprised if Japan does go through. One not bad performance against Germany and a dismal one against Argentina. Don't know what gives with this team. We know Japan has a strong midfield as they've got Sawa. Canada doesn't have an answer to her..........

Agreed Kylie should see some playing time with Nigeria. She's a good player who made a very bad judgement call leading up to the WWC. Hopefully April will get past that and put her on the field.

4. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    I thought Kylie would get a chance to play against Nigeria because of her physical presence. I was thrilled she got to play a full 90!! I think she's still getting used to the team and trying to find her groove there. Don't get me wrong...she's doing a good job, but she hasn't played up to her standard on the Beat. I think she needs to let go and find the same confidence with the Nat'l team that she has with the Beat. You are awesome Kylie!! Show 'em what you're made of! Show 'em your game!! We're proud of you!

I was hoping to spend a week in Boston to see the Japan vs Canada and then the quarterfinals. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone to go with me...:( ...I really wanted to go. However, I wasn't going to go alone... I'm a social person and would not enjoy being by myself in an unfamilar town!!!

5. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    In order to properly enjoy the WWC I have to put on my Beat Goggles (Beat players can do no wrong). Kylie had a good game considering that she had to have WC jitters. She made one questionable pass in the first half that resulted in an opportunity for Nigeria but other than that she played well. She made two long passes in the second half that created great chances which went unconverted. Parlow continued to shine in the twin towers formation for the USA. I don't know if she can go the full 90 anymore. Bri was her usual kick @$$ self. All in all, the WAR BEAT continues to be heard from sea to shining sea and worldwide.

6. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Hooper played well tonight. The Canadians came out to play and looked better than they have all tourney. Still too many balls blasted to no one and a lack of general support (eg Sinclair stripped the keeper of the ball no one there to finish it, three on ones with no outlet passes), but not a bad effort, especially in the second half when they passed the ball (on the ground) around more...........

Sawa went down in a heap after colliding with Hooper in the midfield. Didn't look like a foul. Sawa landed hard and had to be stretchered off the field. It looked like she was clutching her back. On the sidelines it looked like they briefly iced it and then she was back on the field and played the rest of the game.

Would love to see more of the US games but Komo doesn't appear to be airing them. Maybe they'll air the quarters...

Would've gone to Portland, but the weekend games were Sunday evening. I didn't have any vacation left. Would've gone if they'd play Sunday morning or Saturday. C'est la vie..............

Article on Bivens' first cap
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/03/en/030927/1/ag4.html

7. MsHyde

MsHyde New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    OKAY! The Beat Strikes Again

Conny Pohlers, the last of the Beat's seven WWC players to appear in the cup games played in the Germany-Argentina contest and scored a goal. She also placed a good ball to Prinz minutes later, but the striker could not finish the goal.

8. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    Against NK, Bri was her usual awesome self. Kylie started at Right Mid but it seemed to me that she is used to playing RB and therefore was a little conservative. All in all she had a solid effort. She was denied an assist on her beautiful low cross to Abby that resulted in a goal called back on a phantom PK. That looked like a really bad call. Cindy comfortably chilled on the bench. I didn't get a chance to watch Germany vs Argentina. I'm glad to hear that Connie did well.

9. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    Vs. Norway.....

Bri was solid in the net again with another shutout. Cindy was in her more comfortable attacking mid role. Kylie had a few nice touches in limited minutes. The real challenge is the next game. On paper, I have to pick Germany. It will be a real test of desire for our ladies in this game to overcome the the Germans. Good luck to the U.S.A.!!!

10. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    That was a horribly called game!! I was on my feet and livid when the goal was called off and a PK given! Kylie deserved the assist and Wambach deserved a goal off the run of play instead of a phony PK. That ref sucked! I completely disagree with the yellow that was given to the NK player in the last few minutes of the game...rediculous. Kylie also had a brilliant slide tackle that was called a foul...:rolleyes:

Beyond all that, it was nice seeing Kylie get her 2nd full 90!!! The US didn't play very well against Norway...fortunately, Norway didn't play well either. Mia was way off her game...the PK... several give aways...her focus was off. Wambach was amazing, but tired towards the end. Henrichs really hurt herself by putting people with injuries in the player pool. Mac, Hucles, Slaton...were all injured prior to the team being put together. Millie still isn't playing well (actually Mac looks better than Millie). There aren't any real subs out there.

I'm worried about Germany. They've looked very dangerous. To get past them, we'll need everyone to step up and play the best game of their lives. I feel they can do that... and if they do, we'll go on to the finals. If we get past Germany, the final will be a breeze compared to playing Norway and Germany. Odd how that is playing out.

11. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Hooper does double duty and scores Canada's goal versus China! Sun Wen had a productive game, but just couldn't find the net. We held our breath everytime she got the ball. Twice I think she turned on a dime and missed the net. Canada played a better game than the last one. China had all the possesion but none of the goals. Nonen had a good game Hooper neutralised Sun Wen on defense........

12. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    "Millie still isn't playing well (actually Mac looks better than Millie). There aren't any real subs out there."

I thought that too. If Millie and Abby get some PT together, Millie may get the timing down to run onto Abby's headers. Abby wins every high ball in her 3rd of the field. We really miss Mac. She is my favorite USWNT forward when healthy. I know this is sacriledge but I would put Mac's name on my team sheet before Mia when they are both healthy. Mac just has a combo of power and speed that no one else on the team has. She has the most powerful shot too.

"Nonen had a good game Hooper neutralised Sun Wen on defense........"

Hoop is an @$$ kickin' machine no matter where she plays. I kept thinking that the Beat should get rid of her and not risk building their offence around and aging player..........I am developing a real taste for crow......

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  14. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    Great pix Andy. Thanks!

15. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    Congrats to 2003 WWC Champion Connie Pohlers. You will always have a special place in the heart of the Beat fans for your dedicated hussle (not to mention the awesome WUSA semifinal equalizer). Best of luck to you!!!

Congrats also to the USA team. I know people think that not winning the tournament is a huge disappointment but we are the only team to medal in every global women's tourney. Good Job!!!

16. MsHyde

MsHyde New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Hooper, Wang are FIFA tops

No one has mentioned the fact that Hooper was picked for the FIFA first team!!

Also we have failed to note two Beat former players Sun Wen and Wang Liping were in the thick of things. In fact "Pinger" was picked as one of the top midfielders in the tournment.

The Beat strikes again.

17. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    The Beat striking from the grave.

WAR BEAT!!!

18. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
  19. MsHyde

MsHyde New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Thanks for the PIC!

Hey, thanks very much Woody 99. Every little bit of news about our team is welcome.

20. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    Cool pic of Sharolta and Connie!

Does anyone else jump back in fright when they see that German Goal Keeper? :eek:

:shiver:

I watched the final with my 12 year old neice and if the camera would have been on the German coach 100 times, my neice would have busted out laughing each and every time. All she could say was..."Check out the mullet!!" I gotta admit, it was funny!

Seems the rumor is that we will have a shortened season for 2004. I don't look for there to be any internationals since they will be training for the Olympics. I don't expect TV coverage. Actually, I'm not sure what to expect. I'm just glad that the WUSA is continuing in some way.

21. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Who's the chick with the Corona?

===

And never fear Kim ... As long as there are scary keeps in the world, Drunk Bonnie Will be there to harass them ....

22. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    WOOHOO...My Hero!!!!!!!!!!! :D

**somewhere Kathy is running away in anticipation of the confrontation**

I would like to see Janine (scary GK #1) go up against the German GK (Scary spice #2).

;)

23. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    You mean the one with the hairy chest???????????

24. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    "You know Maren, the only reason I bother liking the German team is because of you ..."

GK: "Don't do that! Don't belittle the rest of us like that ..."

"*#*#*#*# you. What I meant to say is ..."

"Wait. Where are wee going Kim? And where's Kathy?"

======

I don't think it would ever have gotten that far with Silke (?). I'd be laid out before "Ffff" ever got out.

====

Is that her holding the Corona? I can't tell at all. It's such a bad angle.

25. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    Woody-99 thanks for posting the pic.