Atlanta Beat sign Monica Ocampo!

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by Nedved*, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Nedved*

Nedved* New Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Bath
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always nice to see another blog with WPS coverage.

Also glad to see a Mexican player in WPS. Anyone know what her greencard status is and how that impacts the Beat's 5 international player limit?

3. Nedved*

Nedved* New Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Bath
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question - considering that the Beat picked up a Swedish international (Sara Larsson) in the expansion draft anyway, it seem unlikely they will sign all five of the international draft picks (unless I'm missing something here).

If Ocampo has a green card does that exempt her from the 5 international player limit? Wouldn't any international player have to get a green card at some point to be employed in the US?

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Remember that Larsson became a free agent last week, too.

IIRC, the likes of LeBlanc, McLeod, and Nonen weren't counted toward the international limit, while I know Tancredi was not, and there's been a big deal that she got her greeen card recently. I don't know the details of the matter, though.

5. Nedved*

Nedved* New Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Bath
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait! What does that mean? Has she been released by the Beat?

Where do you get your information from? There is nothing on the Beat side about anything you have mentioned.

6. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    FROM WPS SITE:

Sept. 30, 2009: The Atlanta Beat exercised the 2010 options for Amanda Cinalli, Noelle Keselica, Katie Larkin, Sharolta Nonen and Leigh Ann Robinson. Sara Larsson was declared a free agent.

7. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    I don't think a foreign player needs a green card to play for a pro team in US...I think all he/she needs is a visa...

I think Japanese and Dominican players, who play for MLB teams, have visas not green cards.

I guess Maribel Dominguez was too old...

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McLeod did count as one of the Freedom's 5 international players (McLeod, Bompastor, Sawa, DeVanna, and they kept a spot open). LeBlanc and Nonen are dual nationals and therefore do not count as international players (b/c they are Americans). There were a couple of other dual nationals in WPS who play international soccer for other countries (eg Dieke).

Non-USA citizens need an appropriate work visa to be legally employed in the USA but a greencard is not required. A greencard is a residency card which also allows legal employment.

9. Nedved*

Nedved* New Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Bath
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, she's no longer on the team? Sorry to be so thick.