Atlanta Area General Soccer News Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by USvsIRELAND, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    lol

One of the guys I got to start paying real attention to the game called me during a Manchester United game years ago.

"Yeah, man, I'm watching your game. Manchester United v. _________. The red haired dude is a baaaad man... I don't even watch and I can tell, he's the truth..."

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defending champs tied for 4th...lol

[​IMG]

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GunnerJacket repped this.
  5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son does training sessions there once a week --- more during his off-season.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I wish the ATL soccer community would give the Silverbacks a little more respect. They kept the hope a float (at least for me) that there would be pro soccer in Atlanta. I played at thier park in my 50's, old mens and coed leagues. Now the 'plastics' pretend there was no soccer foot print in Atlanta before they came to town in 2017.

I am a caveman... get your insurance through Geico.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. I started playing 7v7 (co-ed and men's) in 2003 and only stopped just before shutdown because I had meniscus surgery.

VFish repped this.
  11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I don't it.The AU crew doesn;t seem to like the old crew.

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's a core of hardcores, who appreciate the Silverbacks days---Jason Longshore being a prime example. But yeah, I generally agree.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I wear an old Atlanta Chiefs T-shirt to games. There are two camps, those that know who the Atlanta Chiefs were and buy me a beer and those that are fan's of Paul Newman's classic film 'Slap Shot' ask me if I am one of Hanson bros before buying me a beer.

14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well....both are cool. Definitely saw a couple of Chiefs matches at AFC stadium in my yute. And here's some weird Atlanta trivia. Anyone remember that they actually had a "Who Shot J.R." party after a Chiefs indoor match at the Omni. I was there---really strange---brought out huge projector screens. I was old enough to know what Dallas was, but also in those pre-teen years when I certainly didn't give feck about it. I was just there to see Jomo Somo! :p

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I thought the indoor team was called the Apollos. Did the Chiefs play indoors too?

I fell in love with football in the 70s when visiting Holland. In Europe everyone vacations at the same time so all my relatives were at their places on the beach. To call these places cottages would overstatement. They were mostly old farm houses that somehow had survived the war. My uncle was the only on that had a TV at his beach place so we had about 50 aunts and uncles and cousins over to watch the '74 final (in color!). My uncle worked for the cigar company Wilhem II and was handing out cigars, I think he even gave me one and I was but 12. Anyway we were all crammed into one tiny smoke filled room only to have Franz Beckenbauer and the huns ruin the day. Even so, it was a magical summer for me.

yossarian repped this.
  16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I watched the '78 final on closed circuit at the Omni. The only way you could watch soccer back in the dark ages. Now, the games are blackout in my area. Apparently we haven't come that far after all.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    NASL had a brief run at playing both indoor and outdoor.

I think one problem with the Silverbacks was the name. Unique as it was a lot of people thought it was childish and didn't get the connection. Seemed strange to honor a captured gorilla, they would say. Plus, but then the local scene had cycled through so many other names and brands - Generals, Ruckus...

Didn't help that the organization was run on the cheap. Methinks they hoped for bigger returns on the venue, which was fair for minor league stuff but hard to reach for some and ill-fitted for other uses. But if you didn't move within soccer circles you probably didn't know they existed.

yossarian repped this.
  18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Hey, Willie B was the star of TV commercials and was bigger in this town than Steve Bartkowski. The plastics wouldn't support any team in Atlanta, now they look down on those that did for decades. They'll also be the first to flee if the new coach doesn't get things turned around.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I played against you. And at least you have a meniscus. They replaced my entire knee.

20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. There were so many divisions. I played Prem in both men's and co-ed up until about 2008. Men's team was a bunch of Sting guys, but I can't recall what we called ourselves.

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chiefs (in their indoor persona) might have been affiliated with that splinter league that started playing indoor separate from NASL, but I can't recall with any certainty.

Nope, just googled, apparently it was NASL indoors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Chiefs#Indoors

22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I won 3 national 3x3 over 30 national championships, not becuase I am a great player, but because I knew how to pick my teammates. I played 5 days a week in every league until my wife said I have a problem. I am pretty sure I played against you. I wish you were on my team because you would be a great team mate.

yossarian repped this.
  23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And a good guy to have when the bar tab came do and my teammates where a little short.

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Funny that the biggest and most dynamic thread here it this one.

25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impressive. Nah, I was good but not great. Played as a 6 usually on 11v11 sides because I was smart and could cover a ton of ground without getting tired. Played wherever they needed me on 7v7 sides.

As a 12 year-old, my son is miles ahead of where I was at his age. So fun to watch him.