Atl. Madrid vs Barca [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by njonkers, Sep 26, 2003.

1. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Atl. Madrid vs Barca

Forza Barca.hope for the best against Atl. MAdrid Sunday night then.
    I wonder will Gerard play.
    We'll see.

2. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rijkaard has stated that Gerards ban was only for the one game in which the infraction took place. He will be available for the lineup this Sunday at Calderon.

As far as I can tell no new injuries from the UEFA cup clash on Wed.

We desprately need to get our offense going. Does thta mean we make some changes? not sure, it looks as though we are creating chances, just not converting them. That line sounds an awful lot like last year.

This team will hopefully begin to gel, and light up the board with goals. I want to see the exciting brand of soccer I came to expect from FCB, not the version of the last 2 years.

3. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rijkaard should decide which is more important scoring more goals or shutting down the other team's attack.

Even w/ this new system.. Barca continues to allow 1 goal to teams we should be outscoring. Rijkaard needs to add some offense to the system. More pace (Saviola + Overmars) as well as Physical presenace ( Kluivert) to keep the ball deep in the opposition half.

4. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Quaresma is having problems with his knee, I say bench Xavi and use Gerard and Motta in the middle, LE21 (or even Garcia) on the left and Overmaars o the right and the usual suspects up front, Ronnie behind Kluivert (and if he misses his chances go Saviola!)

5. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Overmaars with a muscular problem, he's out, maybe Garcia's chance?

6. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on my way to Nevada Smiths in the east village to watch the game.

Excited as this is my first chance to see tyhe team live!

FORCA BARCA

Hope we can get a critical away 3 points!

will report after the match

7. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    0-0 Cocu and Motta (way to play for the team for the first time this season) sent off, Ill comment after Chris' report.

8. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UGLY

Boring

Lucky

Sloppy

Uninspired

We were extremely lucky to walk away with 1 tonight tonight.

Marquez' own goal should have stood, no one touched him and he scored a beautiful header...too bad it was against us :(

The defense was ok, there was no midfield, PK9 seemed to be wandering around falling down (Ath Mad's defenders marked him tight and rough).

Ronaldinho missed our 2 best chances. One early in the game where he didn't quite settle the ball enough after a great header from PK and had to try and flip the ball over Burgos, who made a nice save.

Later he received a great ball from LE21 (I think) and after a poor first touch was unable to score in a 1v.1 because he had to slow down to recollect the ball and was caught by the defender.

I think we had 9-10 yellow cards. Reiz took down Torres (i think) just outside the box with a hard and awful tackle.

Valdes saves us late in the game with 3 nice saves.

Someone at the bar commented that he stays on his line to much on corners, after watching that, I tend to agree.

We lacked creativity in our attack, and had no service to the forwards.

This was a frustrating game to watch.

We are not looking good.

Granted the game changed when we drew all the yellows in the first half (5 of them), but we are seriously lacking the creative midfielder.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHH

but lucky to get one point.

FCB MOTM: Valdes

Suprising substitution - Anderson (granted we needed defenders when we lost Cocu) - didnt know he was healthy (he actually did ok)

Worst performance: MIDFIELD (except LE21 who served our only chances

I am worried about his team for next week.

9. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I fully agree

It's Valencia in Camp Nou, Im worried too! :(

I'll post more tomorrow

10. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God-awful Refereeing.

The Own Goal was called back..actually made sense. there was player between Marquez and Torres. Marquez wouldn't have gotten to the ball w/out the HALF-Shove.

Half of most of the Atl. Midfield should've been carded. Too much diving at home.

Xavi should take all free kicks when Ronnie is unavailable. GvB took it and it pissed Xavi off. I trust Xavi to at least hit the post.

There was NO Width. Nobody moved down the wing. This is what happens when you play 3 central midfielders and LE21.

Where was Luis Garcia?

This isn't making sense. Whomever Rijkaard believes has earned a Start. OBVIOUSLY, shouldn't START.

If Rijkaard is going by who's been earning the spot in training well..go the opposite.

Otherwise, I'll say it again. This system does not work in Spain. We're playing Freaking Italian soccer in Spain. That's like calling Roberto Carlos a Defender...you know its not true. but yet, people continue to believe such things.

Saviola should've started out on the Right side. there's no reason not to, his pace alone would give Gaucho, and Kluivert more space up front.

Ronnie continues to do all of the offensive work, drawing fouls and trying to get something going on counter attacks, which for some reason is the only way we seem to gain possession..off of blown corners.

COCU as the Cerebro? for this alone Rijkaard shouls be reprimanded.

Reizigers' poor tackle was necessary. It was a professional veteran move..he wasn't as late as it looked in slow-motion. the ball wasn't far off his foot. Reiziger prevented a penalty, with that tackle.

I'm getting sick of seeing Long Balls out of the Back for Kluivert to head down and build from there. Here's a genius idea..try moving the ball up the wing.

This match was more evidence why Barca should go get Davids in January and not let Roma make off w/ him.

Valdes did save Barca from losing 3 points. but now Villarreal are ahead of us. If we could beat Depor as Osasuna did..we'll be in better shape. Injuries seemed to be the reason for the lineup change so I didn't come down on Rijkaard as hard as I wanted to.

11. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    DFR a las 1145!!!????

12. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DFR, I have to disagree o nthe Marquez own goal, I watched that replay over and over, and fail to see what you mention. I didn't see any Barca players in the ref's face either. They were stunned that he was calling a foul (IMHO).

But, 2 people can see 2 different things.

The fact of the matter is that the Ref called a horrible game, missing handballs and being over zealous with the Amarillos.

I do not like the style of play we are exhibiting now. It is boring and choppy.

DFR, you are right the freakin Long balls to PK9 were pointless. Ronaladinho was our only source of offense.

Something needs to change.

13. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronaldinho is the only reason we aren't in the Relegation zone. We've scored 4 goals in League play. 4. Cocu has 2. COCU...Phillip F'n Cocu is are leading scorer. Ronaldinho is tied w/ him.

Why are we playing Italian soccer? What's the point of having World Class attacking players if you don't let them attack?

The Call was weird I saw Torres or De Los Santos put their hands on Motta's back. But Motta didn't move forward, its possible that he grabbed Motta. However, Marquez Heading in an own goal!? WTF! This isn't the MLS! if u can't head it out of the box..don't F'N head the ball.

14. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    What a painful game.

The ref's shortcomings led to zero flow. Even so, Carlos Aguilera stil got away with murder all game. That dive to get Cocu sent off did Simeone proud I'm sure.

That wasn't the reason we drew though. Barça were so predictable. Substitutions should've been made early on and someone should've told Marquez to stop thumping long balls out of the back. Van Bronckhorst was pretty useless as well.

FR will learn quickly. He has no choice. Something tells me we'll be seeing Overmars and Quaresma against Valencia.

15. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

And hopefully a player by the name of Javier..something..

If FR believe he can hold the Valencia attack by playing this poor man's cantenaccio someone should subdue him and dress as an impersonator.

IMO, you beat Valencia by holding possession and not blowing chances..force Valencia to outscore you. Make Aimar prove he's the best Argentine player.

16. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Pablo is injured right now, it is an advantage ?

HELL YEA!

Let's hope he's not fit next saturday!

17. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I am reading that he'll probably play this coming weekend. Even without Aimar, Valencia still have a suffocating midfield. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see Xavi and company having any success against Baraja and Albelda.

18. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Albelda (although the galacticos seemed as if they were playing in the middle of a really shi++y hangover ;) ) nulified the midfield, Baraja is a great DM too, Xavi would be eaten alive!

19. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    play Gerard and Cocu. or LE21 in the center. I think LE21 can provide the mental capabilities. Especially since its in Nou Camp. Use the ref..draw fouls..frustrate them. Add width w/ Overmars And Quaresma or Saviola and stir with a mix of Gaucho = 2-1 victory.

20. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I imagine Cocu will be suspended for the game.

21. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    DFR, no Cocu and no Motta next fixture for the red cards.

22. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I think we should play a strong midfield line with 3 DM's maybe Gerard, Xavi and the innovation might be Marquez? since he played like that in Monaco, I remember I read an article in Sport about Marquez' abilities in midfield.

23. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Marquez in the midfield is not a bad option. On some other boards they mentioned that as well.

24. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right...I keep forgetting about the 2 reds. Dammit. So its Marquez, LE21 and Gerard w/ Xavi (unless he's hurt too) on the bench. At least its at home. and Aimar is unavailable for Valencia, Saviola should start w/ Kluivert and Ronaldinho..provide some type of attacking punch. . But..its only Monday.

25. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Are you hoping that he's unavailable? Because right now he is listed as questionable.