Asia's 4.5 spots go to... ( Predictions )

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Mani, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Here is my prediction:
    1. Japan
    2. Iran
    3. South Korea
    4. Uzbekistan
    4/5. Bahrain

I didn't include Saudi Arabia because they couldn't even make the top two teams of their Asian Cup group so I don't see how they can finish in the top two spots of any of the final Asian WCQ groups. I can see Saudi Arabia playing Bahrain for the .5 spot playoff. In my opinion, Kuwait and North Korea are long shots too.

2. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    saudi hardly beat sri lanka
    anways:
    1. Japan
    2. Iran
    3. Korea
    4. Bahrain/Uzbekistan
    5. Uzbekistan/Bahrain beating Guatemala in North America

Kuwait could replace Bahrain ofcourse

North korea i dont thin k so

3. SAUDI

SAUDI New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
    we sent saudi kids in saudi vs. srilanka match. i am a saudi league fan and i only recognized three players in the team.

and they won 3-0 while totaly dominating the match.

Saudi Arabia
    Japan
    South Korea
    Bahrain
    Australia

4. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Saudi didn't need to. In the event the second string (I've never heard of some of the players) won comfortably, they didn't have to break into a sweat. It compares well with other teams who've played the bottom teams in their respective groups in the last round, like Japan.

We probably won't win our group, but I'm confident we can finish in the top 2.

5. persiantiger

persiantiger Guest

Asia will get 5 without a doubt. All 8 teams in asia are capable of beating the teams from concacaf, but the same can't be said for the concacaf sides. mexico, usa and costa rica are probably gonna be their 3 teams that advance automatically, which lives crappy sides like panama, guatemala and T&T to face asia's 5th. If one of those 3 teams qualify to face asia's 5th like expected, i expect the asian team to beat them home and away with huge margines.

Asia's 5 will be

1.IRan, without a doubt. I am willing to put my bigsoccer membership on the line.
    2.Uzbekistan
    3.Japan
    4.Saudi, Kuwait or Bahrain (they are all the same very hard to predict which one is better than the other, but there will be at least one arab team that is gonna make it out of these 3)
    5.South Korea after slapping the 101st team in the world panama by a score like 13-1 on aggregate.

North Korea has no chance.

6. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The reality is that Saudi golden era is over and it takes a decade or so for Saudi Arabia to once again become what it once was!
    Iran was in the same position in the 80's and early 90's after our golden eras of 60's and 70's!

7. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    what got australi in the story?

8. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    1. South Korea
    2. North Korea
    3. Japan
    4. Iran
    and the Uzbeks will be playing for the .5 spot

9. Bonizzoni

Bonizzoni Member

May 4, 2004
    São Paulo - Brasil
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkmenistan
    1 - Iran
    2 - Japan
    3 - Saudis

And I think S.Korea,Bahrein and Uzbek will fight for the 4th spot / ½ spot...

10. Xevor

Xevor New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Holland
    1. Iran
    2. Japan
    3. Uzbekistan
    4. South Korea
    4.5 Mexico, USA, Jamaica or Costa Rica

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamaica has been eliminated in CONCACAF so they won't be playing an Asian team.

12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, yeah. Right. Mexico or USA is going to finish 4th in a group of Mex, US, CR, Trinidad, Panama and Guatemala. Ain't gonna happen.

CR I can easily see, or Guatemala. Panama an outside chance. Trinidad? No way.

Your #5 will almost certainly meet CR or Guatemala.

Then we'll finally get to see which country has the more intimidating home field.

Those of you that think it's going to be an Asia walkover are delusional. Note that I'm *NOT* saying that the CONCACAF #4 will easily win.

13. ferx203

ferx203 Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Chile
    Direct places.
    - Japan & Iran, best teams in Asian Cup.
    - S.Korea & S.Arabia, always qualifying in the last cups. The Final Round is the real tournament, teams with tradition always have better results than the new teams.

Playoff Place
    - Uzbekistan.

Teams eliminated.
    - Kuwait & N.Korea, teams which bad Asian Cup results, it´s a wonderful result for them only play the final round.
    - Bahrain, in the Asian Cup only won to Indonesia.

14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh wait. Let me modify my previous statement. If for some bizarre reason, South Korea ends up #5, then we're looking at a barnburner, with SK the obvious favorite.

And after last Cup's bizarre final qualifying groups (both Iran and Saudi Arabia in the same group? China the strongest team in the other???), it doesn't take a stretch for me to imagine a similarly unbalanced pair of groups. Which would lead to a strong team coming in 3rd in one of them.

So everything really will depend on the draw.

When's the draw?

15. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm really looking forward to the AFC/Concacaf playoff, I came over to see what y'all were thinking, it's pretty much what I expected, seems like most of you think Asia is a lock to send 5 team to Germany. While over on the Concacaf board most everyone seems to think our 4th place team will win the playoff. I think it's a coin flip, depending on the match-up. If S. Korea or Saudi Arabia fall to 5th in Asia, the Concacaf team is in trouble. But then again, if Costa Rica slides to the 4th spot in Concacaf, the Asian team is in for some trouble. Should be fun!

16. hooshimaro

hooshimaro New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Texas
    1- Japan
    2- Iran
    3- Saudi
    4- S.Korea
    5- Bahrain or Kuwait

there is only one problem, iran likes to take the hardest way to the finals so i guess eventhough they can be in the top 2 they ll loose and fight for the 5th spot. Saudi gonna go directly i dont how, but i m sure they ll make it.

17. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    1. Korea
    2. Japan
    3. Iran
    4. Uzbekistan
    5. N. Korea

North Korea will surprise you.

18. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the teams that the Asian fifth will play are almost certainly Guatemala or Panama. Mex/USA/CR will likely qualify direct, and T&T is the weakest of the bunch; they only got into the hex because they were drawn into an obscenely easy group.

As between Guat/Panama and Uzbek/Bahrain/Kuwait, it's a tossup, but I think you're all in for a surprise if you think the Concacaf team won't put up a fight. Guatemala is tough as nails, qualified early out of the hardest semi group, has a deadly goalscorer in Carlos Ruiz, and plays in the utter hellhole that is Mazatenango. Panama is an up-and-coming team with speed that has the advantage of having nothing to lose; they almost beat the US in Panama and I think would fare at least as well against the fifth-best Asian side.

It'll be close, but my money's on Concacaf in this playoff.

19. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    1. Where is Iran?
    2. WTF is Australia doing here?

Anyway my opinion:

Iran
    S.Korea
    Japan
    Uzbekistan
    S.Arabia (no way these guys will get eliminated, not because they're any good, just because AFC won't let it happen)

20. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    i liked ur question
    1. WTF is australia diong there
    but i didnt like: 'where is iran'
    its his opinion, if we had to yell at ppl for not saying things we want then imagine how this world would be

21. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    He has a right to hold a blind and biased opinion, and I have a right to challenge him. Did I force him to change his opinion? I don't see what the problem is.

22. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    December 9, IIRC.

They need some time to get those ping pong balls nice and cold.

23. tato_Top

tato_Top Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Auckland,NZ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    1.japan
    2.Iran
    3.South korea
    4.Kuwait

24. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

I loved it when it was only 2 spots for Asia back in the day when competition to get those two spots were abso-********ing-lutely fierce. If Asia weren't given more spots, it would be South Korea and a middle eastern team going to every World Cup.

My prediction:

1. South Korea - masters of Asia will always qualify even when we're playing like a bunch of crackheads as in recent years. To not qualify are words missing in our dictionary.

2. Iran - A part of me tells me they'll ******** this up somehow. Yes, I think they are currently the best in Asia and hopefully they'll make it this time around. They say a 3rd time is a charm.

3. Japan - through boring, dull, semi-defensive football they will get there for their 2nd world Cup qualification.

4. N. Korea - will spark a surprise

5. Kuwait - I don't know, I'm just tossing them in there.

25. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Your bigsoccer membership is free. What kind of deal is that? Iran won't make it.