Ashlee Simpson LIVE?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ian McCracken, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    damn you skipshady for throwing my "prank" theory out the window

2. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Who's Ashlee Simpson?

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    The sad thing is that all her fans who worship her won't give a ******** that she lipsyncs. Her fans are mostly young airhead girls so its not like they are suddely gonna revolt and protest and start destroying her cd's and stuff. Her fans are too young and stupid to know shes a fake and a fraud and not a real artist and if they did know I doubt they'd care. They just like her because she's hot and she dated a hot guy and she is the in thing to like thats being pushed on them by MTV and such. Her core fanbase are just a stupid bunch of little kids who are mostly concerned about hair, makeup and boys.

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Thats true but why does society hold bubblegum singers to such low standards ? Why shouldnt they be held to the same standards as everyone else. Is it because their fans base doesnt really care if they can really sing or not. They like them mostly for reasons other than singing. Its like MTV and the media is telling them thats who they should like. Seriously why would a 12 yr old girl care if Ashlee Simpsons can really sing. Its time to stop marketing music to the lowest common denominator and stop signing puppets to major labels and shoving them down our thorats.

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Because they're bubble gum "singers".

6. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Where have you been for the past 40 years?

But seriously, Ashlee isnt that popular, it seems that way because she's on TV but she is not that popular.

7. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    What a lame ass,instead of realizing that the tape goofed or there was an error,she breaks out into one of the most ridiculous dance routines I've seen in a while.She should've just gone with the flow and started really singing(if that's possible).

8. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do if you can't sing.

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should be upfront about it then.

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    And this has been pointed out to me - it's common for less talented singers to have a backup vocal track to pick up the slack when they can't hit a note. It's likely that Ashlee didn't lip synch the whole song, but she did have a little help.
    SNL frowns upon any pre-recorded tracks, but if it becomes obvious during the weekday rehearsals that a performer needs backup, they will allow it. And it was in SNL's interest to not make Ashlee look bad - her label is Geffen Music, owned by Vivendi Universal, NBC's parent company.

Sidenote: Ashlee was also supposed to appear in 3 skits besides her musical performance. It appears those skits got 86ed based on the dress rehearsals (which is open to public) earlier on Saturday night. So yeah, stay in school Ashlee.
    Any seasoned performer would have done exactly that, but the thing with Ashlee, it's only her 2nd or 3rd time performing outside a controlled environment. She doesn't know how to take control. For that, I blame her father/manager and her label more than I do Ashlee herself.

Also, you might have noticed that the track also contained some of the instrumental, and the band guys started playing along to cover it up. So technically, she is right when she blamed the band during the closing credits - they did play the wrong song.

11. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Every musical performance this season has been absolut shite.

This upcoming week is Eminem which could be a bit interesting.

Hell, at this point I'd even take Green Day.

12. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You've aluded to this, but not actually said it: She thinks she's a rock singer.

That's the big thing. She's lip syncing to "rock". She's a terrible version of Avril Lavigne and that's really saying something.

13. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  14. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The girl had her own show on MTV before she had released her first album. The "show," which I've watched on more than one occasion, centered around recording her album. (I really don't want to discuss why I've seen it; but suffice it to say, it was traumatic). So, basically, after watching her half hour show, you have that pop hook stuck in your head, regardless of logic telling you this is the worst piece of sh!t song you've ever heard. The album comes out, the people who watch the show buy the album. To me, this explains her success. Her music is just horrible. She owes her career to MTV.

And, seriously, if you are going to lip-synche, bust a move!! Geez, I've never seen such lame dancing, even from someone really singing. (And I mean her first song, not the hoe-down mistake).

15. PScott8502

PScott8502 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    50th state
  16. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    another talentless pop singer. that craves attention and would do anything to make it. problem is jessica beat her to the punch and she pretends to me rock n roll when she actually is pop n hore. oops! just slipped. oh well!

17. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  18. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Your correct on that.

This who incident should be put into the "what else is new category".

19. fatboy slim-fast

fatboy slim-fast New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Jersey/NYC
  20. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Ashlee Simpson.
    Who give a penny farthing about here musically?

21. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I never heard of this "singer" before yesterday. I guess I can go back to bed now.

22. scottinkc

scottinkc Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    To be fair to pop "singers" it's not just them. I was backstage at a concert (brother in the crew) where the guitarist (very famous, although I can't remember the name) broke several strings as he whirled his guitar around his head, spun it around, played it with his tongue, etc. and it never seemed to affect the sound coming out of the instrument.

Frankly, as one who spent 9 years in voice study, and can fill a 1000 seat auditorium over a 80 piece orchestra, I think calling any pop singer a real "singer" is a bit disingenuous.

23. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yep
    What's less commonly discussed, or accepted, is the rash of enhancements used at rock shows. Even a group as respected as U2 clearly needs synthetic help to boost its three spare musicians.

As Rolling Stone editor Joe Levy explains, "When bands go on tour, they often use anything from an added rhythm track to a keyboard player hidden under the stage. The drummer can trigger samples from his drum kit, the guitarist can hit a pedal that adds a guitar part.

"It's real Wizard of Oz stuff."

Levy says this occurs because "people still want to hear something live that sounds like the record. Plenty of rock bands overdub 15 guitar parts in the studio to get that massive sound. Just three guys onstage couldn't [do it].

24. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

I've never understood why bands consider this to be a problem. People don't want to go to a concert and hear exactly the same thing as on the CD anyway. What is the point of that? If they did they would just stay home and listen to the CD. When I go to see a live band, I want them to sound live, and see what they can do with just four or five musicians.