AS Roma vs. Livorno [R] Pre/Post Match

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by fatdanny99, Feb 19, 2005.

1. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Catfish, where are you? Roma should easily defeat Livorno. I see a 2-0 win. Hopefully Sampdoria will lose to Reggina.

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Re: AS Roma vs. Livrono [R] Pre/Post Match

Not so fast, with Cassano and Mexes both suspended and Chivu STILL not back, it could be a little harder than that. Plus Livorno has been a good team lately. They've definitely outperformed most people's (including my) expectations for them this season, especially since Di Canio took over as coach. The GdS predicted starting lineup for Roma:

Pelizzoli; Panucci, Dellas, Ferrari, Cufre; Perrotta, Dacourt, De Rossi; Montella, Totti, Mancini.

3. SICILIANSOCCERFAN

SICILIANSOCCERFAN New Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Toronto
    I agree with sueb on this one....Livorno is a tricky little team that is much better than i had expected...Roma should be able to pull it out, but no cakewalk this week.

4. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A win would put Roma on 38 points, only 3 out of 4th place.

Livorno has beat both Milan and Sampdoria in recent weeks, but they have also lost to Atalanta and Chievo. In addition, they have only scored 3 goals in their past 5 games.

I won't predict a shutout (no Mexes) but if Roma can score 2 goals I think Roma will win.

I predict a 2-1 score with early goals from Montella and Lucarelli and a late penalty from Totti.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm here. Watching the match....been really busy.

Roma should win 1-0 because Sue brings up an excellent point about Mexes, Cassano, and Chivu being out.

6. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What did the white t-shirt say that both clubs were wearing? I don't know Italian, yet....lol. Still mastering English, wink.

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    GOAL!!!

Montella in the 8th minute.

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Free Gabriella, who's the Italian hostage being held by Iraqi insurgents.

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    VERY, VERY COOL that both clubs did that...thanks for the info. Mike!

Beautiful build up and pass by Totti to Montella!
    1-0

Let the cakewalk begin.

10. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Roma Supporters sure do know how to get behind their club....quite loud.
    Considering that they are playing Livorno, their chants are impressive.....constant and very boisterous!

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    GOAL!!!!

Perotta in the 24th minute of the second half.

Livorno gave him an incredible amount of space.

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Totti's goal was called back 10 minutes later because the AR called him offside.

He was definitely onside. Montella was off, but he was not involved in the play.

The score should be 3-0 right now.

BTW, what the hell is the dog barking I keep hearing on the broadcast?

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    GOAL!!! Totti in the 86th minute.

Now it's 3-0.

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    And Montella missed a wide open sitter in the 88th. I don't know how he missed that one.

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Full time and Roma wins it 3:0.

La Roma completely dominated the match, except for a few brief stretches prior to half time.

16. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Sweet, Sampdoria won though.

17. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    this scoreline doesnt even reflect the dominance of roma today... on another day it would of been 6-0! livorno isn't Juventus so i wont get too excited... for some reason, i think we are seeing the last games of totti in a roma kit.. :sad:
    its weird, ive recently watched a video tape i have from 2000 (the title clinching match vs parma).. we all remember the game, the supporters flooded the pitch and nearly raped totti in the 84th minute.. anyways, the stadio olympico is packed to the gills, flags in every other supporters hand. screaming the entire match..
    such a different atmosphere than today~

18. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I really think (re: hope/pray) that if we can finish Top 4, Totti will seriously consider staying on. I would like to transfer Cassano regardless of our finish and get some midfield (LW) help for next season. Only time will tell. If Perotta didn't put the 2nd one away, Totti was all over it like a hobo on ham sangwich :) Clean sheet for Peli!!!

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Guess I was wrong after all about it being a hard game for Roma, despite the suspensions. Goes to show you how an early goal makes everything so much easier, especially at home against a smaller club. Livorno probably hoped to keep it 0-0 as long as possible and hope for a counterattack goal as Roma pressed. Giving up a goal in the 8th minute threw that gameplan right out the window. BTW, Totti's goal was wonderful.

20. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I wish they hadn't called his first goal offside. I thought that one was even better.

21. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Anyone have highlights or clips or goals for this match?

22. Shawshank

Shawshank New Member

Oct 25, 2004
  23. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
  24. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would enjoy a link to the torrent.

25. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    So true, although Roma seemed to slow down about 25-30 minutes in during the first half. Del Neri must have been breathing fire at the half because they came out to play in the second half. I shared your pre-match concern about the defense. But I have to say that Roma showed that an attacking side can take the pressure off the defense and the defense did hold up well. Both Ferrari and (I hate to say it) Cufre played very well. This was big (even if they were playing a smaller side). I'm also glad to see at least one other goal came from someone besides Totti, Montella, Cassano, or Mancini.

Now I can't post without complaining about Roma's play. (After all, I want the scudetto and success in the CL.) Totti better figure out that blasting balls into the wall during free kicks isn't going to get him anywhere. Those power shots are good from way out (as Roberto Carlos and Totti have shown) but that move is a wasted effort when just outside the penalty box. If he's not going to curl it over/bend it around the wall or blast a ball low (and hopefully under a jumping wall) then he needs to be removed from free kick duties. Two weeks in a row he's pulled the same move and every time the ball just hits the wall. Second, it's official in my mind, Mancini is not cutting it. Yes, he scored a game-saving goal a few weeks back but beyond that he is a disaster. Every single cross is at the defenders. He got lucky when a cross bounced off a defender and eventually made it to Perotta but that was not by design. If he's not going to score goals and he's not going to cross well then he needs to sit. (Of course I can't see who will take his place at this point.) I would try to sell him during the off season. Take care.