As long as Democrats think like this, they will continue to lose...

Discussion in 'Elections' started by USAsoccer, Nov 5, 2004.

1. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    http://slate.msn.com/id/2109218/

Why Americans Hate Democrats—A Dialogue
    The unteachable ignorance of the red states.
    By Jane Smiley

Excerpts...

Here is how ignorance works: First, they put the fear of God into you—if you don't believe in the literal word of the Bible, you will burn in hell. Of course, the literal word of the Bible is tremendously contradictory, and so you must abdicate all critical thinking, and accept a simple but logical system of belief that is dangerous to question. A corollary to this point is that they make sure you understand that Satan resides in the toils and snares of complex thought and so it is best not try it.

Next, they tell you that you are the best of a bad lot (humans, that is) and that as bad as you are, if you stick with them, you are among the chosen. .....The history of the last four years shows that red state types, above all, do not want to be told what to do—they prefer to be ignorant. As a result, they are virtually unteachable.

Third, and most important, when life grows difficult or fearsome, they (politicians, preachers, pundits) encourage you to cling to your ignorance with even more fervor. But by this time you don't need much encouragement—you've put all your eggs into the ignorance basket, and really, some kind of miraculous fruition (preferably accompanied by the torment of your enemies, and the ignorant always have plenty of enemies) is your only hope. If you are sufficiently ignorant, you won't even know how dangerous your policies are until they have destroyed you, and then you can always blame others.

The reason the Democrats have lost five of the last seven presidential elections is simple: A generation ago, the big capitalists, who have no morals, as we know, decided to make use of the religious right in their class war against the middle class and against the regulations that were protecting those whom they considered to be their rightful prey—workers and consumers. The architects of this strategy knew perfectly well that they were exploiting, among other unsavory qualities, a long American habit of virulent racism, but they did it anyway, and we see the outcome now—Cheney is the capitalist arm and Bush is the religious arm. They know no boundaries or rules. They are predatory and resentful, amoral, avaricious, and arrogant. Lots of Americans like and admire them because lots of Americans, even those who don't share those same qualities, don't know which end is up. Can the Democrats appeal to such voters? Do they want to? The Republicans have sold their souls for power. Must everyone?

IMHO...if those who run the Democratic Party think just like the author, they will continue to lose seats and elections...

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have been titled "How Democrats Delude Themselves"

Seriously, people who show up in an Emergency Department rambling on like this get 72 hour pink slipped for observation and a dose of lithium.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    A. Do you have any proof that they do?
    B. Do I really need to post some of Coburn's speeches here? He's actually an elected Republican official.

4. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest that you do that and do that only. It would be interesting to see how they refute the stuff from Coburn's speeches.

5. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    If a Democrat was able to CREDIBLY run on that platform, I'd strongly consider voting for him.

6. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Jesus Christ and his see-through hands. One popular vote win in four tries, and suddenly the sun shines out of their **************s.

7. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (

8. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Republicans are 7-3 in the last 10 presidential elections. One Dem win was razor thin after Watergate. In the other two, the Democrat got less than a majority. And, GWB? He retires undefeated.

"Undefeated" - clap - clap - clap - clap - clap!
    "Undefeated" - clap - clap - clap - clap - clap!

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Just out of curiosity, does it count as retirement if a president is successfully impeached?

Hey, I'm only asking.

10. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, I would count Bill Clinton as retired.

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I said successfully impeached. I assumed you would've realized that meant a convicition.

Oh well, they say you should never assume.

:D

12. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He was successfully impeached.

Impeachment - "a formal document charging a public official with misconduct in office"

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    The impeachment was not successful, because he was not convicted. When it comes to the POTUS, impeachment is an accusation of high crimes and misdemeanors, and if a POTUS is convicted by the Senate, his term is over.

Impeachment is being charged, successful impeachment is being convicted. Subtle difference, but I really thought you'd get it.

So, let me ask you again, if a POTUS is successfully convicted after being impeached, would he retire?

14. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Impeachment means being brought up on formal charges. It's like being indicted. Clinton was successfully impeached. The trial is a separate event.

And a potus who is successfully convicted would be retired, hypothetically speaking. Got anybody in mind?

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Nope, just asking.

C'mon Ian, you must have at least an iota of a sense of humor there somewhere, don't you?

16. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    The House impeaches, the Senate convicts.

Mike, he's got ya.

If ya don't believe me, read the Constitution.

17. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is correct, still it was a waste of time.

18. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'd like to, but it's pretty tough to read the remaining words in between the spots where the Bush administration has shat upon it.