As Baseball Struggles in Newark, Soccer Is Thriving Nearby

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tk421, Aug 21, 2011.

1. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 person likes this.
  2. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet the newark bears( the minor league team) are less fustrating than the red bulls.:eek: *ducks*

3. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not sure if its worth bagging on a minor league baseball team, but this was hilarious.

4. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WRONG there.

I'm just thrilled my tax dollars are going towards the Bears stadium until 2029. Here was a recent piece in the Newark Star Ledger in July about the team.

Newark Bears: A Tale of Sidetracked Baseball Team

5. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I love the way that MLS fans decry our lack of media coverage, but the Bears guy talks about how Red Bull gets all this local media coverage and you can't compete with that.

6. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why people in an area with two MLB teams aren't turning out for Newark bears games? I mean surely someone could solve this incredible mystery?

1 person likes this.
  7. This article could probably apply to DC if they ever get a stadium there.

8. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Baseball struggling, soccer thriving........................that's great!

Anyone with common sense knows the modern demographics will favor soccer over baseball. I don't really feel sorry for them making such a dumb mistake.

9. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    major pro soccer beating out a team that plays in something called Canadian-American Association of Professional Baseball and shares a market with the Yankees and Mets. Surely this is a sign of future MLS dominance and not, you know, nothing.

10. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a soccer fan. But we really can't talk until the Red Bulls compete with the Yankees and Mets for that to be accurate.

11. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we proud to compete with minor league baseball?.. What a waste responding to this nonsense.

1 person likes this.
  12. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    the ny times is in a league of its own to come up with nonsense, so i didn't bother reading this.
    i'll just say that newark's big bet wasn't on the bears, but on prudential arena a few blocks away. prudential arena is a state of the art facility (it makes madison square garden look like crap) and has been tremendous for the city. iirc there's well over 200events/year at the pru. its location and presence in the urban fabric is better than rba, which tbh sits in a little nook of muddy, industrial wasteland.

13. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    "Thriving" isn't esxactly the description I would use when talking about the NYRB, but compared to the Newark Bears, the soccer team might as well be the Yankees.

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Pro soccer > minor league baseball?? Who knew??

15. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From reading the posts here, looks like that is a "gotcha" article, since people are reading it.

16. gears

gears Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newark bet on hockey, a few years of basketball and an infinite number of events by buying the Rock. They're not going to regret that decision. By themselves, the Devils sell almost twice the number of tickets the Bulls do over the course of a season, at higher prices.

I'm not being entirely fair to RBNY though. Of the three pro sports teams, only one (RBNY) has an obviously upwards trajectory, which is more important than outdoing a minor league baseball team. While the Devils are having serious ownership problems and suffering a dip in ticket sales, and while the Nets are leaving town forever, the Red Bulls are drawing bigger crowds and can only get bigger with the growth of MLS.

That said, Newark isn't going to regret the Devils/Prudential Center, which is what the Red Bulls should be compared with.

17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    If the Bears' owner calls about joint promotions, I'm calling back. Did you see those ****s. I'm weak.

18. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    The Brooklyn Cyclones average about 7,000 a game.

19. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Regardless of soccer, i think baseball is a dying sport in any event. Too slow. Loved it as a kid, but totally lost interest after the strike.

20. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    The Staten Island Yankees also pull down 5,000 a game or so.

21. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    In a lot of places, pro soccer isn't > minor league baseball, at least if you look at season attendances. Here's some minor league baseball teams compared with their MLS neighbors in 2010, in terms of total home attendance:

Salt Lake Bees (AAA): 510,000 vs. Real Salt Lake: 256,000
    Columbus Clippers (AAA) 651,000 vs. Columbus Crew 220,000
    Pawtucket Red Sox (AAA) 592,000 vs. New England Revolution 194,000
    Bowie Baysox (AA) 252,000 vs. DC United 218,000
    Frisco RoughRiders (AA) 562,000 vs. FC Dallas 162,000

22. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved this, from the Newark Bears' publicist:
    And when, pray tell, was this?

23. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all honestly, if RBNY can't outdraw and outperform a non-affiliated independent league baseball team then RB and MLS would have near fatal problems.

If RB starts challenging the Mets and Yankees for fans and media attention, we'll have a real story.

24. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    I'm guessing that being an affiliated team makes a huge difference. They can sell the prospects and have natural fan bases to draw from.

25. gears

gears Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That story's never happening. All of MLS has a hard time getting as much media attention as the Yankees.