As an MLS fan, do you feel insulted

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by lond2345, Apr 23, 2005.

1. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    because MLS is calling the galaxy vs chivas usa the mls superclassico?

how can it be the superclassico if Chivas just started in the league and has no history? Superclassico is spanish for derby, such as Real Madrid-Barcelona, man u vs liverpool etc. It is a name given to the biggest rivalry, the most storied rivalry. Chivas vs Galaxy has no history!

the real mls superclassico, as we all know is DC United vs The Galaxy, the two most storied and most popular teams in MLS. Don't other mls fans feel insulted that the league would just get on its knees for Chivas and forget the history the league has made? forgetting DC United that has 4 stars. Couldn't they have named the Chivas vs Galaxy the "battle of l.a" or something?

2. ISiddiqui

ISiddiqui Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Um... Barca-Real Madrid and ManU-Liverpool AREN'T derbies. ManU's derby is with Man City. Derby means intracity rivalry. So yes, Chivas-Galaxy is the best MLS derby, because it's the ONLY one!

3. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    I have read sports sites from Europe and often they call the biggest games in other countries "derbies." I read a spanish site and called man u- liverpool the english derby, the same in an english site about real-barca. The word derby is not solely used for intracity rivalries.

technically superclassico means "super classic," the game with the most history, biggest rivalry. Chivas vs Galaxy is neither. DC United got screwd.

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It's just a name. What matters is the actual game and the passions involved.

5. ISiddiqui

ISiddiqui Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Then they've bastardized the term :p. Derby is an intracity rivalry and that's it. If people want to use it to describe intracountry rivalry, then they are misusing the term.

It was a term originally created for a rivalry between teams in the City of Derby.

6. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it used to be played at the County Fair, too boot. Does California have County Fairs? Or is it just State Fair.

7. pylon

pylon New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Chi-Det corridor
    Sometimes derbys can be slightly broader than intracity, like Portsmouth-Southampton is sometimes refered to as a south coast derby. But there has to be some sort of reasonable geographic connection. I think I heard the Galaxy-Earthquakes fixture called the California derby once or twice...perhaps that's stretching things a bit.

I'm glad we've got a true MLS derby finally in LA and I'm glad they are hyping it up, but it would seem they're getting a bit ahead of themselves calling it a superclassico. We'll see after tomorrow night!

8. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically Manchester and Liverpool would be a derby. They aren't much farther than 30-40 miles from each other. That's hardly a drive across a midsized US city's metropolitan area.

9. FFan

FFan New Member

Oct 27, 1999
    Naperville, IL
    Problem is MLS is using two different terms.
    Derby for English speakers and Superclassico for Spanish...

All it really is is the first game between those 2 teams which will play many... many.. games in years to come. I hope to see great games!

10. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'course, you could just act like rob stone and call it a dArby. :rolleyes:

11. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Rob Stone is correct on that pronunciation isn't he? Don't people from Derby actually pronounce the name of their city as "Darby"?

Also, the term derby is used in many different ways. In Germany, Bremen vs. Hamburg is the northern derby (St. Pauli vs. Hamburg is the Hamburg derby, but St. Pauli isn't in the Bundesliga often enough for this to take place). Any game between Schalke, Dortmund or Bochum (or Duisburg next year) is the Ruhrderby. Stuttgart vs. Freiburg is also sometimes described as a derby. In Austria, Innsbruck vs. Salzburg is the "Westderby". As pointed out, Barca vs. Real is very often referred to as a derby. I think the term is loosely used whenver two teams with a historical tradition of rivalry play one another - i.e. whenever the emotional stakes are higher and bragging rights are on the line.

I am so psyched about the first true MLS derby. Nothing creates a buzz like a derby, and it's been a long time coming. And it was a masterstroke to put Chivas in LA and create an automatic association (albeit somewhat tenuous at first) with the U.S. vs. Mexico rivalry. Vergara is a genius.

Now put a Club America offshoot in Houston and you instantly get a couple more heated rivalries (Chivas vs. America, H-Town vs. Dallas vs. San Antonio, etc.).

12. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    To answer the original question, calling it a Superclassico is a bit overboard IMO, but it's nice to see MLS doing whatever it can to promote the ******** out of this game. So I'm not complaining.

13. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bingo.

Guys this issue has been BEATEN......TO........DEATH

Sure it's being called a Superclasico...who cares??? Honda shelled out some nice dough to make sure it's called a superclasico so let's just take the cash and enjoy the game!

14. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yeah, people from Derby call it "Darby", everyone else calls it "****hole" though. :D

15. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    I want to pistol whip everybody who calls it a "Darby". If it's called a Derby because it began in a city called Derby, who the F changed it to Darby? And considering Chivas sucks and the Galaxy doesn't...it probably won't be much of a rivalry. More like a domination.

16. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    No one changed it to Darby. It is spelled "Derby" and PRONOUNCED "Darby", at least in the city of Derby itself and a number of other places.

I realize that is difficult for you to comprehend, but try anyway.

17. conrad

conrad Member

Mar 7, 2003
    England

Yeah well... no

Going from a pure distance argument there are several sides within that distance in the premiership alone. Liverpool, Everton, Man City, Man Utd, Blackburn and Bolton, But seeing as its England and not america reletive scale really doesn't come into it.

Everton and Liverpool is a derby; they share the same city; where-as say Liverpool vs Manchester is fundalmentally a rivalry, I understand that the rivarly between these two (and same again for other teams) gets hyped up alot, but I would disagree that it is a derby.

18. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You've confused a rival and a derby. Derby must be two local teams going at it....

Arsenal Vs Spurs (this is North London Derby)
    Man U Vs Man City
    Pompey Vs Soton
    Liverpool Vs Everton
    Celtic Vs Rangers
    Real Vs Atletico
    Roma Vs Lazio

Sure, there are great grudge games in the between hated rivals (Man U and Leeds and Liverpool, and prob Arsenal too)...but that doesn't make them a derby.

19. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You say TomAto, I say tomato. I say garage you say Gar-raje.

It's proncounced Darby. Period. You can call the Kentucky Derby what ever you want, but in football (soccer) terms it's called pronounced with an 'a'.

20. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It's only insulting if you're paying a lot of attention to MLS hype machine :) Same as with Adu etc

21. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. The LA County Fair is huge - bigger than most State fairs in the U.S. Other counties have respectable fairs as well.

22. Gaffer69

Gaffer69 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    NC
    1. Both the City and the match are spelled Derby and pronounced Darby.

2. Derby matches don't have to be intra-city but they have to be close. Liverpool-Man U doesn't qualify as a Derby game. Portsmouth-Southampton does. It's difficult to define. There's a thin line between a local rivalry and a local derby. In recent years. Swindon's local rivals have been Reading, the Bristol teams, and the hated Oxford but I don't think any qualify as a derby. If any were in the same county then that would probably be 'the Wiltshire derby' but as Wiltshire consists of three small towns and several thousand pigs we can't really support two decent teams (and there's obviously the question of whether we can support one). I'm digressing. Maybe you could argue that Galaxy-Quakes has been up till now the California derby, or the West Coast derby. If you could be bothered.

3. Someone above suggested 'The Battle of Los Angeles' which is waaaay cooler than 'Superclasico' or 'LA derby'. Isn't that an RATM song ?

4. That's all. Thankyou.

23. wonderman

wonderman New Member

May 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    out of curiosity,

do you know which teams played the first official "derby"?

I'll assume one was Derby FC

24. Gaffer69

Gaffer69 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    NC
    Pre-dates Derby County.

From wikipedia ...
    also ...

25. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It'll just be known as 'The Blowout' by Sunday.