Article: Onyewu elbows Bellamy

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Wahoo, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Onyewu gives Craig elbow

Just an article I found interesting about the game between Newcastle and Liverpool.

Here is a tidbit from the article:
    "There was a moment when he was complaining that I elbowed him in the head," revealed the giant centre-half, who will be unable to play in the Uefa Cup this week as he has already appeared in the competition for Standard Liege.

"I responded and said `look at where your head is, I can't help it if you're so short you only come up to my elbow.

"He just looked at me and smiled and said `you've got a point there.'​

So - will this endear him to the Newcastle faithful or not?

2. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Gooch for US captain!

I love that attitude especially with a little shit like Bellamy.

Jared, Craig, who's next?

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Crackin' Bellamy, of all people, in the noggin oughta go over pretty well with Toon Army.

4. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Oops I just realized this link was also included in another thread down the line... I may merge it.

5. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    We love random acts of violence

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    elbowing Bellamy in the head is more like the world getting back at him than a random act of violence

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch=Smash

thats a scientific fact :)

8. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Love it!! I love how Roeder said Gooch still has to prove himself but we all know Roeder already loves him and is probably already making plans to sign him permanetly.

9. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    onyewu should be the captain at the world cup in south africa at 2010 and how do you post a thread i can nver find out where it tells you to plz some1 help

10. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I find all the Borgetti/staredown references on this site pathetic, but if Gooch told me the elbow was accidental, or that my mom wore combat boots, it 's likely my response would be "You've got a point there."

11. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya someone needs to doctor the borghetti/gooch pic with bellamy's face on it.

forza inter

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    What would really have been cool is if Gooch had looked over at Bellamy, spit, and said "Rubbin's racing"

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am a lot more interested in seeing him improve his passing and his agility. The elbows do not get your team goals. It is the EPL, not the WWF.

14. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It never fails to amaze me just how many mind readers that YA manages to produce. Why are you here! Go out and buy some lottery tickets you foolish man!

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Hey Bruce, Clint Dempsey isn't with 5M pounds of the range of Gooch's transfer value. Plus, he's not nearly as good

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    the voices in your head- the rest of us can't hear them.

17. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    If we sign him. The transfer fee won't be more than £2.5 million

18. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    You're right, it wasn't the elbows that got him man of the match honors from certain news sites in a win against a top 3 Premiership team in only his second game.

19. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    It's pretty awesome how Oguchi Onyewu has already become the most beloved and greatest player in the history of Newcastle.*

*with the nickname Gooch

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    seriously, why glory in stupid foul play.If he played well, I am pleased.if he is improving, that is even better. But that he fouled Bellamy in the head, when getting cards has been a problem for him is hardly a cause for celebration. Can you imagine fans of Cannivarro, one of the best defenders in the world, being so excited because he hit someone upside the head?

21. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't speak for others, but I'm impressed with the composure of someone playing their first EPL home game against a strong opponent in terrible conditions having the composure to stay calm and give as good as he got in his exchanges with an avowed smack-talker.

22. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I think you're missing the point - there probably wasn't any foul.

Craig Bellamy is probably one of the biggest pains in the ass to play against. He's always trying to get into your head and get you off your game. For American fans of the NBA - think Bill Lambier (probably helps if you're older than dirt like I am)

I honestly doubt that Gooch really elbowed him.
    Most likely there was minimal contact at some point rather than an intentional elbow. There was no call. There is no call for the game to be reviewed to find this "elbow" to Bellamy. Liverpool aren't fussing that Onyewu played dirty. In other words, there was probably nothing there.

This was simply Bellamy trying to annoy Gooch (the new guy in the EPL) and Gooch just wouldn't have any of it. Rather than get flustered or annoyed, he just had a better comeback and went on about his game.

23. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Great story and quote from Gooch.

OTOH, what I found disturbing about Roeder's comments was his reference to what he thought represented a good defender. That's different from what coaches would say in Holland, Spain or Italy.

24. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    When I first saw this thread title, I thought Gooch elbowed that douchebag Bill Bellamy, the former MTV VJ. I'll settle for Craig though :)

[​IMG]