Article on Gomez in Catholic Standard

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by GDopplerXT, Jul 1, 2005.

1. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    For all you heathens out there who don't subscribe to the Catholic Standard, there is a short article on Christian Gomez in the current edition. It's a pretty lightweight piece, but it does give a glimpse into his off-the-field persona. The print edition has two color pictures of him in action against the Fire from a couple weeks ago.

http://www.cathstan.org/news/current/2.shtml

2. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I no longer refer to him as Gomez or even Gomito. He'll always be GOLMITO to me.

Anyway, nice fluff piece.

3. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Nice article - I knew I liked him for a reason. It's always good to know more about a player through pieces like this. He'll be an asset no matter what he does upon retirement from active playing.

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    What Lisa said. Sounds like a wonderful person. DCU scored bigtime when it signed him.

5. wjones3044

wjones3044 Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Borinquen
    Is it true that Gomez has only scored 5 goals since arriving in DC?

6. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    That's odd. The article in the print edition says 9 goals, which sounds about right. I know he has scored more than 5 for us.

7. wjones3044

wjones3044 Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Borinquen
    I thought maybe I misread it, so I went back. The article says:

"Gomez's professional soccer career started in 1991 with Nueva Chicago in Argentina. After moving to the United States last August to play for D.C. United, Gomez has started 12 out of 13 games for the team, scored five goals, (including one game-winning goal) and made two assists."

The two assists doesn't seem right either...

Is it just me or should we check the church credentials on the next Argentinian recruit? I love this guy's attitude:

"To step onto a soccer field with a packed stadium to play a game...a beautiful game...(It's) a wonderful opportunity to play and enjoy myself."

Can you imagine Ryan Suarez saying something like this?

8. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    According to the DCU Webpage, Gomez Stats Are:

GP Goals Assists
    14 6 2

So they probably meant he had had 5 goals and 2 assists this season. They arent counting last season.