Article from Soccernet

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dead Fingers, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=315540&cc=5901

Derek Rae's impressions on several players in the Champions League. Some observations on Beasley, and a comment on MLS development

"Like Klasnic, Damarcus Beasley at 24, is no youngster in football terms. Yet a brilliantly taken goal to give Group E leaders PSV a 1-0 win against Rosenborg suggests a bright future for the American, who signed a 4-year contract during the summer. Blessed with pace and sharpness, Beasley learned his trade in the perplexing environment of his country's Major League Soccer, where hype and marketing rule the roost and loud music and corny adverts blare through the tannoy while games are taking place.

Nevertheless, Beasley and Carlos Bocanegra at Fulham are proof that if you look past the American league's presentational oddities, they've been getting quite a lot right on the player development front. That above all, must be the priority for a domestic league still trying to find its personality in a fledgling football country. "

2. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nice read, but Beasley is only 22. He has a long career ahead of him.

3. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    love your sig, as I am an Atheist--guess I should lose my citizenship :0

4. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Exactly, ESPN sucks at fact checking. 22 changes the whole tone of the analysis.

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, he's still "not a youngster in football terms."
    This isn't a reference to age, but to experience, and DMB does have quite a bit of experience (more impressive in a 22 than a 24 year old, but the article couldn't be more praising).

6. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was a Scottish player, Rae probably would have said he was only 18 and a sure-fire star in the making.

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If he was scottish, every Scot would have DMB's name, age, shirt number and style of play memorized. We may have (we do have) a better national team than scotland, but we can't touch their fan commitment.

8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for sharing.

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, you're welcome. :)

10. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is yet another case of "you don't do it like Europe, so there must be something wrong". :(

11. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Too bad stupid, snide remarks are not Euros (or Pounds, whatever the case)...that way, they could pay for their impending Social Security timebomb (makes our problem look pretty tame, in comparison)..

12. Shures

Shures New Member

Mar 29, 1999
    NYC area
    I'll add criticism of the fact that the article is also pretty wrong in its core premise. Sure there are plenty of things different about MLS game presentation. Still, at least that games that I attend don't have music blaring during the match. I've only been at the Meadowlands though. Do others?

13. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I guess "Tannoy" is generic for loudspeaker over there, just like "Hoover" for any vac. cleaner -- or "Coke" here for practically any soft drink (except in NY, where we say "soda" for everything, including a Coke).

Anyway, only a few of our stadiums still blow the corn through the Altec/JBL/ElectroVoice during a match -- and maybe they'll get it right next season.

But if there's a deal on at Popeye's you bet I wanna hear about it -- screw the Euros. ;)

14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And they do play music over the speakers at 1Bund games, at least at the renovated olympic stadium, site of the next world cup final.

15. skilmon

skilmon Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Derek used to be a very good play-by-play man for the Revs broadcasts from '96-'98 (I think...I could be wrong on when his run ended). I'm not sure what he's been up to (beyond Soccernet articles) since then, but he has more than a passing familiarity with MLS.

16. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    He does the commentary on ESPN2's Champions League broadcasts, along with Tommy Smyth. You're right, he is a great play-by-play man.

He also hosts ESPN's press pass, a soccer discussion/interview show- unfortunately I believe it's only on ESPN International, as we don't get it here in the States. However, they often post clips from their interviews on the US section of soccernet.

17. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    then why do so many argentinians,brazilians you name it ians all want to play in Europe ?

18. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Not DURING the game

19. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Christian Gomez (of DC United) said that one of the reasons he loves playing in the US is that the paychecks come on time...I imagine that is a reason for many.

20. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarioKempes
    This is yet another case of "you don't do it like Europe, so there must be something wrong".

More money, maybe? Mike, I think you took this quote out of context, football in Europe is clearly better, but I think the point is we're sick to death of Euro-snobs(like Rae, not yourself) telling us exactly how we should do things. Most of us feel absolutely no need to do things exactly like Euro leagues, we need to find our own identity and brand of football, and well if they don't like it, screw 'em.

21. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    "Major League Soccer, where hype and marketing rule the roost"

That's the part that makes me laugh. As if it doesn't rule the roost in Europe. MLS bigwigs can only dream of the "hype and marketing" that goes on in England football.

22. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is called a non-sequitur

23. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money. Why is this so hard for people to understand? Do you think Brazilians and Argentinians would run to Germany or England if they could get paid as much to stay in their own beautiful countries? Pleeeeezzzzeeeeee.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I think Derek is the best soccer play-by-play man in the US ... but that article was a bit weak.