Article: Earthquakes to Houston closer to done deal?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by wufc, Jun 30, 2005.

1. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Thanks for the info. I used to live in SF and that spot at China Basin would be cool. I assume thats right by the Giants stadium. you could make a whole night out of going to a game plus it would be more in the center of the bay area population. I'm sure you guys in the South Bay don't want it there though.

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I'll go ahead and make a prediction.

The "nameless" investors in SJ are well known.

They have deep pockets.

They know soccer.

The hitch is indeed the stadium situation. I don't think it's the cost of the land that is a problem, I have a hunch that they want a "bigger" usage then just a stadium. Office park, perhaps a soccer academy complex. Those are a lot harder to get done then a simple stadium with a parking lot.

CA is (was?) the fallback plan. They get a discount for a good team, or they have to bid with Hunt for the Wizards.

I'll also say that if the deal falls through, we'll never be told who this nameless group was. They don't want negative PR in silicon valley.

I still believe the deal is done and SJ is staying put.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I so wish we were both playing at the same poker table right now.

-G

4. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Steve Jobs or Larry Ellison?

5. rhymeorreason

rhymeorreason Member

Nov 16, 2004
    OPKS
    Any tax attorneys out there - please feel free to correct my spouting here;

A business group can't take the $35K the local investors are spending for the local study unless it is for a business. If they don't buy the team and they're not operating (hence no "operating" loss), they lose the money. No deduction - it's $35K they're out without getting it back.

Now, when they buy the team, then they can use it as a deduction.

If I'm wrong, would someone let me know?

6. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it read any better? Doubt it.

7. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I'm sure that any group that is formed to buy the team would incorporate before doing much of anything....including funding a feasibility study.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca

They don't pass the "they know soccer" test.

It won't be a computer tycoon......

9. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just move everyone!

10. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Well, at least in most forms of poker, people have to show their cards. As far as I can tell, SSV is playing liar's poker in the dark.

11. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    IMHO, bottom line is if the local investors are encouraged enough by SSS negotiations (since nothing will be final in the next month or two), they will make an offer soon. And if the offer is 75 to 80 percent or more of Club Am's offer, AEG will take it. Or try to get Club Am to make a better offer ... and so on ... and so on.

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SSV doesn't have to show publicly show any cards until the end of the round, and would actually be foolish if they did so.

And it ain't the end of the round yet.

-G

13. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL

14. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Yeah, but it does appear that SSV and their "mystery" partners are playing with the short stack.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It doesn't read any worse - and I've made much the same post.

16. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This stuff is such spin the league puts out.

"Team X will play in Massive Stadium Y, but only until a new stadium is constructed."

Translation: Owner of Team X has told local leaders what a SSS is. Team X will play in Massive Stadium for a minimum of 5 years while new team in new professional sports league tries to gather hundreds of millions of dollars for new stadium, basically on spec, while hoping occasional low attendances don't kill the prospects in the meantime."

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the "mystery" inside source that's made the same "Club America has an agreement in principal with AEG to buy the Earthquakes" claim seven or eight times in the past two years isn't?

-G

18. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I don't know about any deal with AEG, but I do know they are spending an awful lot of time in Houston talking with the right people. Televisa is a large company, one of the largest in Latin America. They don't have the time to mess around with this just for fun.

19. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense but why are you focusing so much on the "mexican" potential fans. What makes you think a CA owned team wouldn't attract soccer fans in Houston beyond the mexican ones? I would think CA has learned a bit from Chivas USa's folley and will field an international team much like the one that plays in the DF.

20. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    AND.....they won't be walking into a market where they have given another club a 10 year headstart on capturing the non-Mexican soccer fan. IMO, that's one of the biggest reasons why Chivas USA is struggling at the gate.

21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Maybe someone should post a screen shot of Arrowhead's game yesterday for perspective.

22. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure thats a contributor as far as Chivas goes...but their ineptitude abd suckitude on the pitch is an embaresment and the biggest reason most stay away. Now if they start winning then i think you would see a resurrgence in fan support. They have a proud and determined owner so i don't worry about them too much.

If i lived in Houston and i heard we were getting an MLS team...i would be like hell yeah. I would assume CA would make this a Houston team not a Mexico team.

23. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I disagree, in their second home game, when they had lost a game to last year's champion and drawn with San Jose away, they only had 12,700 at the game. Compared with the Galaxy's regular attendance that's horrible. They were second to the market and gave their biggest competitor a 10 year head start.

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what they need to be doing for running an upcoming expansion team. :cool:

-G

25. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to add about the info on SF...

The parking lot around the SBC Park (Giants baseball) area was considered last year when Tony Amanpour was in the fold. When then Alexi Lalas and one of the SSV heads appeared at a round table in late March, they said that San Francisco was still in the mix, but they haven't heard from the mayor's office since last year.

Ideally, near the baseball grounds in SF is a nice spot for a SSS, but in all likelihood it will be reserved for parking or a hotel/office complex. To add, the 49ers also need a new home and they want to be first to get their digs.

While it's still a remote possibility that the Quakes could explore SF, the stadium effort is concentrated in the South Bay and a future venue will be most likely there within a 10-20 radius of San Jose. Cheers!