Arthur Numan to United Rumor

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DigitalTron, Sep 5, 2002.

1. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    On PlanetFootball.com, they're reporting a rumor that Rangers' defender Arthur Numan, who just signed a contract with Rangers, is interested in moving to MLS, possibly with DC United or New England.

http://www.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=106269&clid=&cpid=&Title=Dutch+duo+eye+MLS

I have no idea whether this rumor has ANY truth to it at all. It also mentions Ernie Stewart possibly to LA and a Dutch goalkeeper exploring MLS. None of these scenarios seem likely to me.

Stewart might go to MLS, and I can definitely see the league putting him in LA -- because the league wants to pump up the big market ahead of the new stadium. I might also see an older UK defender moving to New England in place of Carlos Llamosa in the offseason, but I cannot fathom why United would be the least bit interested in him. I don't buy the moving of Nelsen into midfield as a reason to get an older defender. And, to top it al off, why on earth would MLS acquire a non-American goalkeeper?!?!?!? Hell, DJ Countess isn't even starting, and he's the GK version of Landon Donovan.

While it may be valid that there is some interest, I don't see anything happening. If the Dutch leagues money woes continue then maybe Stewart would come over, but that seems unlikely. Numan might be interested, but probably not for another 3 years or so realisticly.

-Tron

2. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    I don't see Earnie Stewart coming to the US to play because, as has been said, he hates to fly, therefore he enjoys playing in the Netherlands, where that's not a problem.

As for Numan to United...ummmmm...why?

Being as we don't need defenders as compared to any other positions. I just wouldn't get it. Probably just rumors.

But still a good pickup Tron.

3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    He hasn't started a game this year for NAC Breda.

4. Beaker

Beaker Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Vienna, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff reported the same thing in the Post this AM. Could be the same source, I guess.

5. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Assuming that they were really considering doing this, Milton Reyes might also be an option to move to D-Mid.

6. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was also reported in the 9/4 edition of Soccer America's MLS Confidential email. It mentioned a few players from the Dutch league who want to come to MLS, beginning with Earnie Stewart. Numan was mentioned as having spoken with DC and someone else (the Revs, maybe?) via his agent.

7. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Could we afford him though? And we'd need to move and SI, no? How many years does he have left?

Lots of questions. But didn't Hudson allude to a big name that we'd all heard of a while back?

8. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    The Revs are a better bet. They have an SI slot open and need help in defense. Expect some sort of salary purge to pay for it.

Obvious headline: Hello, Numan!

Dave

9. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Yes, and I'd wholeheartedly support that, but just as likely it would mean that either Nelsen or Prideaux were being shipped out.

In the back of my mind I keep thinking about Prideaux being benched. I keep wondering if Hudson is thinking about trading him for Dante Washington or some similarly extreme thing. I wonder if Hudson's now testing how the team would do without Prideaux. Man I hope this is just my imagination. Prideaux is the only dependable defender we have. Pope is injured every year and often has Nat callups. Nelsen is at the end of his contract and has significant interest from Europe I understand. Those three are our only central defenders. McKinley just could not do the same job those three do.

We need Prideaux.

-Tron

10. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Well for those who think we should trade Pope Numan would be a great replacement. Another thought, can he play d-mid. Maybe he's ABMOD's replacement. Numan is a very skilled defender with very good speed even at 32. As for Stewart, I think he will be in MLS next season. He has stateed publicly about wanting to play here and I believe he is in his last year of his contract. He could be released before the MLS season starts if Breda is safe from relegation and not really threatening for anything better. He hasn't been playing because of a leg injury but should be back in the line up once he's fit.

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Numan is denying that he's talked to MLS.

I hope he never wears a DC United uni. We don't need some Euro reject over here.

Sachin

12. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    A few thoughts on this issue..

1) Having one maximum salaried player in defense (Eddie Pope) is enough..

2) As DT and others have mentioned, defense is the least of our off-season worries at the moment..

3) If the player is European, on the wrongside of 30, and is generally a has been (Gazza, Ginola and now Numan), my money is on Hudson being VERY interested..

All this is of course is just another rumour for us fans to get all worked up over..

13. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I wouldn't call Numan a has-been. He'll be 33 in December (two or three years younger than the average European who says he wants to play here) and still starting for Rangers. Without the Old Firm, I don't think the SPL is any better than MLS. It could be that, now that Dick Advocaat, who has coached Numan at three different clubs, is no longer coach he's looking for a different soccer environment but a comparable level.

Dave

14. cdunnington

cdunnington New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Numan is no has-been, and there are a lot of teams that would like to have Ronald Waterreus as keeper. Maybe some of you don't remember, but Waterreus is the GK who stuffed the US Nats in their final tune up game before Korea. I'd pick him over Hartman/Reis/Brown/Jordan in a second. I love Nickie, but Waterreus is better.

As for Stewart, the last rumor I heard was that he has a clause in his current contract allowing him to possibly leave NAC Breda at the mid-season break. Same rumor said that his MLS preference was Dallas.

15. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I think it was Alfred Neuman.

16. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC