Arteta and Edu - In or Out?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by thebigman, Aug 14, 2021.

?

Would you fire them now or wait?

1. Fire them now

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. Wait till we lose more games and the window shuts

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wanted to like arteta as I respected him as a player and when he first came, I thought he spoke wel and had good ideas

sadly, his ideas on the pitch, his controlling the game from the sideline, treatment of players, choice of players we look to buy and his press conferences make it all but definitive to me, he is not the right guy.

personally, I like the idea of a graham potter style attack minded coach who can adjust formation and change style to play against different sides

we just look toothless

SF19 and DaPrince84 repped this.
  2. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Apparently Arsenal have spent more than anyone in the window !!

Suggestions tonight that when Ben White is ready they will play a back three which will suit him

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching NBC’s transfer deadline Chao. Rebecca low just ask Tim Howard this:

R: Tim, you say Miguel was a friend of yours at Everton, was he a leader there?

T: yes, but I don’t see that now with this current Arsenal team.

OK I know it’s Tim Howard but hmm…

4. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    At Brighton he was usually a back 3 pushing up into DM is my understanding.

5. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    At Arsenal, it's the RB who pushes into midfield though

6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ummm, according to orstein, edwards is leaving liverpool at the end of the season. KSE needs to just pull brings trucks up to his house and ask how many he wants.

Super Llama, DaPrince84 and yossarian repped this.
  7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He might even take the offer because he wants to win the league on “ultra-hard”

Super Llama, yossarian and daedalus repped this.
  8. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "i got bored with winning so much. someone give me an LLM challenge."
    "no, no. go hardcore: fix arsenal post-sanllehi."

9. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Arteta looked ready for the big time, but he hasn't adjusted to the top job. He can't handle it.

Looking at this group of players, I think Neil Warnock would do the job:

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just listened to Edu’s interview released today.

And I’m left debating whether I want to hear more from him or less from him.

Regardless of what I want, he probably only comes out like once a year, i.e. to discuss transfer business just completed.

Or maybe twice, if he has to announce a big change in the coaching staff in a few months. ;)

11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    was catching up on arsecast and ornstein was on chatting with andrew and i thought the bit where who decided what was interesting.

ornstein made the point that this "youth movement" (going in the 21-23 range) was all edu and arteta was not most pleased about it. but it eventually came down to, "we ARE going young (and, presumably, resellable) but we will get the people you want within this parameter".

white and ramsdale are presumably arteta picks. whatever the maddison rumours might have been, odegaard was arteta's no 1 choice there all along. sambi lokonga, with the kompany link, is possibly either an arteta choice or at least he approved. tavares was probably more edu being portuguese and low cost/low risk. arteta was not overly keen on emerson royal - dest was his preference but he apparently was not looking to move - so tomiyasu was more of good for both/opposed by neither.

Super Llama repped this.
  12. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What a mess. Arteta is reasonably inferring that he will be evaluated based on short-term metrics and, in that inference, seems like he’s trying to continue our failed transfer policies of the past eight years by continuing to be in win-now mode when we really need a rebuild. At least that part this summer was won—no new Willians except arguably Xhaka re-up. But man, Arteta shouldn’t be (and shouldn’t have to be) anywhere near this process except for green-lighting or red-lighting the proposals brought to him. The leadership vacuum at this club is real.

Interestingly AFCBell among others hinted at background tension with Edu and that he was closest to being canned—gone silent on that since the window. Wonder what’s going on there.

13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bell seems to have been wrong about a number of things this window. Maybe his sources aren't any good anymore?

14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah. i mean, i sort of get it. head coaches are under pressure to win now and their goal is to do so, not to set the team up for future success. but that's also why they shouldn't be the final arbiter in transactions. if true, then this current setup might not be so bad where board+lewis+edu sets up the parameters then let arteta make his choice within them. i can live with that. and, if there was any positive to ever be taken from the willian signing, i guess maybe that this became the operation and arteta losing the final say is it.

without appearing to defend emery, it's a decent middle ground between letting arteta decide everything and what happened with emery where, as andrew mangan described it, he asked for zaha (a right-footed left-winger) and got pepe (a left-footed right winger) and nzonzi (a big bruising defensive midfielder) and got torreira (an undersized lightweight buzzing defensive midfielder). :D

Super Llama repped this.
  15. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Looks like I was correct !!

Nothing to worry about .

That’s five wins in the last six games and that one defeat was with a weakened team and against a free scoring ManC side !