Arteta and Edu - In or Out?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by thebigman, Aug 14, 2021.

?

Would you fire them now or wait?

1. Fire them now

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. Wait till we lose more games and the window shuts

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Their only decent strikers are not close to being fully fit , their most expensive midfielder Partey is out .. plus most expensive CB and also Gabriel.

We can’t judge him until they’re all back playing imho

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I mean in some respects the rebuild it largely in place? The core is super young.

Could use an experienced 8 who is around 25

I do wonder what Rose and Maric would do with these players.

daedalus repped this.
  3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might be correct. I went straight to a trusted source --- Judy --- and texted her this morning asking if Davies played the final day at Highbury. She distinctly remembered Daltrey playing but wasn't sure if Davies did.

NorthBank repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Disagree.

This isn't Arteta's first few games with Arsenal. He's had two transfer windows with which to work, a year+ to learn and shape the side, he's well familiar with the Premier League, and he should know the expectations of Arsenal fans. Plus injuries and player absences are a part of the game for everyone. Similar can be said for Edu. If we can't judge them now then when can we do so? Next season? The season after that? Would we say the same if the manager was, say, Tuchel?

I've no delusions of the real issues handcuffing Arteta at the moment, but I also know Arteta and co. have had weeks to prepare for these matches, and at least some time to adjust on account of personnel changes. Knowing full well the expectation for this season was to maximize points and build a more confident and positive culture. We've seen not only the lack of points but almost none of the cultural shift demanded.

If the side was so dependent on a few players that speaks to roster mgmt. If you know you're gonna struggle against the giants then you make every effort to get points against the laggards. If you know you're unlikely to win a match then you devise a plan that keeps the team poised and working on what individual aspects of the game they can win and use as a building block. Most importantly, you instill in the players that they're part of something big and coach them up, not simply handing off orders. This is a team, not a company.

I want to believe in Arteta and Edu, but since the early, perhaps fortunate, trophies they've done nothing significant to suggest they've righted the ship. And as I've said elsewhere, I'm unconvinced the ownership cares or understands. I'm not sure I know anyone better who's available, but that doesn't mean I have faith Arteta will salvage the season.

So the next two league matches will tell a lot. With the excuse of powerful opponents off the table either the rebuild starts now it hasn't even begun, and if that's the case this club has some major worries.

Not sure about that? Take a look at the table today. S***s sit atop the standings, and Arsenal at the bottom.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  5. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not the point—in our financial class as a club, every single manager should be considered a baby when it comes to transfers. City can let Pep do whatever he wants because a 60M player is an oopsie to them. Every other club vaguely in our financial range—or at least used to be—has an entrenched technical staff that handle the squad-building. With coaching input of course; but they don’t hand the proverbial gun to the proverbial baby like we have.

6. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    “We” can’t do anything about anything so we might as well at least accurately assess who’s to blame

7. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Guess who won the most PL points from Christmas to the end of the season ..

ManCity .. followed by Arsenal .. including TWO trophies in that period

9. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Guess someone should call the Premier League and ask them why decided to include all of the pre-Boxing Day fixtures in the final standings.

song219 and bandwagongooner repped this.
  10. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  11. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cherry picking to double count games against the bottom 5 makes the numbers look very nice

12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I was illustrating what a great run they’ve been on since last Christmas when they weren’t without 5 key players

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I said club. The football operations team is broken.

Super Llama repped this.
  14. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Being on a good run isn't indicative of underlying strengths though, just as a bad run isn't indicative of a bad team

Emery had a good run too, but it wasn't meant to be.

What we see on the field is the biggest evidence we need to make a judgement. Arteta's team, even at full strength, was not playing so well that it gives us legitimate hope that we'll be a very good team even our best players return.

15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ray Parlour claiming on TalkSports that he received a text from Marc Overmars claiming he would like to return to Arsenal to help fix the club

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminds me slightly of the Swedish guy who "offered" to take over the club from KSE. So I'll believe it when I see it.

However, Overmars sure has a lot more cred and experience running an elite football club than that Spotify guy!

I know it's been mooted before, but what are the realistic chances that we could pry both Overmars & Ten Hag away from Ajax? I assume slim to none?

17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think decent. Overmars has been rumored to be interested in coming back to Arsenal for a few years now. If those rumors are true, he should be an easy get. Ten Hag was on a couple lists for manager searches this summer. Most notably Spurs. And from I recall he was receptive to a move. I would think that "receptive to a move" combined with Overmars doing the hiring would be a slam dunk.

18. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Marc Overmars to replace Venkatesham
    Michael Edwards to replace Edu
    Ten Haag to replace Arteta

Senderos to replace Holding
    Djourou to replace Chambers
    Sagna to replace the non-existent RB we don't seem to have

BIGHMW repped this.
  19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Trend data is valuable. You're within your rights to argue that the dataset is potentially misleading, but it coincides with when ESR got healthy and started playing.

Look, I get the start to the season is an all-time low, and that the game against Man City was probably the worst game in Arsenal history (way worse than the 8-2). But we knew the start to the season, with games against Chelsea and Man City, was going to be really tough. But we're basically drawing conclusions on games where a whole bunch of starters were out.

See where we are in late-October - the signings that have been made suggest a plan, and we need time to evaluate the execution.

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The real question is whether it is a new trend - i.e is the apparent change in results statistically significant to justify the cherry pick? IIRC it is as we looked at it before.

Realistically the team is -3 compared to expectation. i.e. you would have hoped Arsenal would have 3/9 and not 0/9

21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It was significant, but the shot data still isn't good by any means. Arteta's inability to get a team with some good creative players to create shots is a real problem - need more data, but that might be reason to fire him.

This is what I've been saying. People are losing it because Arsenal lost an away game against Brentford where Auba, Partey, Lacazette, and Gabriel weren't available and Arsenal's starting striker was someone who'd never played at the top level before.

Maybe there is a real problem, but there's nowhere near enough data to make a conclusion.

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am guessing this is why Arteta signed Willian (replacing Ozil). His final Chelsea season he had 9 league goals.

The failure of the gambit could be fatal.

Auba is 32 now. Can he pull out 20 league goals?

Pepe had 10 last season.
    Laca had 13

Ideally you would then need another 20 from the rest - Saka, ESR and MO mainly plus the odds and sods.

I don't see it.

23. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Liungberg ?

24. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daniel Ek, founder of Spotify

25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Points are one thing, but there's a lot to be said about how the players are carrying themselves and the attitudes radiating from the locker room. Against Brentford even the B-team players should operate like they've earned the right to wear a badge of a team that should win that match, but they didn't do that. When Chelsea and Citeh opened their scoring the Arsenal players looked accepting of defeat rather than still fighting for what they wanted to achieve that day. The clubhouse demeanor at Arsenal right now is the opposite of the big-club bravado they should use to pull them out of this. That's part of what fed Chelsea and ManU as they pulled themselves from their doldrums the past few years, reminding themselves that they should be doing better.

It may we'll be that Arteta's vision is spot on perfect for a Citeh-calibre roster, but that his man-management abilities are insufficient to lead a team from a quagmire. (To wit, how often have critics said of certain coaches like Pep "Can he do it without the big $$$$?") Or maybe he's just not the motivational type, in which case that's a void no one else has filled and the team can't find heart on its own.

So the issue for me is that if Arsenal always purely reliant on raw talent then they will struggle to punch at their weight, let alone above it. Great teams don't just have talent but they work together and exude motivation, and that stems from coaching. Arsenal had a great run at the end of last season, but it was one that may have flattered to deceive and, more importantly, the clubs still ended up just 8th in the table. They may yet have another wondrous back half of the season, but if it only yields another mid-table finish then something remains wrong.

We'll see, I guess.