Arsenal's Penalty Policy

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Val1, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can't remember where I read this, but after Pires took the penalty v Villa, it was explained as standard procedure if Henry was the player brought down.

But yet reading this from Arsene:

This makes it sound like Henry's passing to Pires was more optional. Can anyone shed any light?

2. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I think Henry is the number one guy for penalties, but he personally passes when he has gotten fouled. It's more of an "Henry Rule" rather than an edict handed down from Wenger.

3. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I've heard the same thing before too. Whoever gets fouled doesn't take it, someone else does.

4. SH diddy

SH diddy New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Livonia
    Watch the replay and you will see that Henry was pointing to Pires to take the shot almost as soon as it was called, to me it seemed that Henry was set on Pires taking it to make sure he was riding a wave of confidence going into this big week ahead with CL/ManU matches,,,prehaps I am grasping at straws on this.

5. rgrayson

rgrayson New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I thought Pires always takes the PK if Henry is the one who is fouled.

6. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I remember an interview with Arsene or Titi saying what Wenger does is pick 3 people before the game that he want to be the PK team with a priority then lets them decide if/when it comes up. Player 1 (Titi) could defer to player 2, player 2 if they did not feel up to it could let player 3 do it......something like that.

7. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They couldn't go on like that. Imagine if they got down to Dennis :eek: