Arsenal's Director of Football

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by antifan, Apr 22, 2007.

1. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    During the course of an interview about his Football center in Senegal, in reply to a question, Viera gave his opinion...why the guillotine?

2. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I doubt Vieira is crying himself to sleep with playing for Inter. A bigger club than Arsenal, and a club who won something last year.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    But of course. Isn't it everyone's dream to win promotion while playing in front of 18,000 fans per game. :rolleyes:
    http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/current/aveita.htm

(...and I'm not betting they accomplished this cleanly, either! :D)

4. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Vieira does not play for Juventus. He left the club after the Maggiopoli scandal.

He plays for Inter, who won the scudetto this year and put in 48,000 people a game.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ha! Tell's you how much I rate him and the Italian game as of late. I'd completely forgotten about him jumping ship. :p

Yeah, I saw those stats and got a nice chuckle. Way to go, Ultras! :rolleyes:

6. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of like Henry flirting with Barca the last two summers!

Oh, no. That's different....

7. thesoothsayer

thesoothsayer New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    No, definitely not the main reason. I think Arsene saw that he was disinterested, other clubs were still mildly interested in him, he was past his peak AND the constant flirting. ;)

8. CTGooner

CTGooner New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    The Cut
    Has anyone seen anymore about Grimandi for the position?
    Also, from arseblog, Karbassiyoon is the new North America scout.

9. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Good on ya, Danny! Glad to hear that his sad injury story might have a happy ending.

10. jameslamont

jameslamont Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norfolk, GB
    ....isn't gonna be Ken Friar. That Henry deal was absurd.

11. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    You're telling me. Crikey. C'mon KF I know you can do better than £16m. I know Bent is solidly overpriced, but at least put it over the £20m mark.

12. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I suppose you don't have to rate the league that produced the World Champions and the European club champions, but that doesn't make me think very highly of you. Makes me think you're the type who buys the Sky propaganda hook line and sinker.

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe he just doesn't get whatever channel shows Serie A. The last Italian league game i saw, i was sitting in the San Siro. I wonder if i'm also a victim of Sky propaganda?

14. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Don't write off a league simply because you don't know it, especially one as successful as Serie A. GG said he didn't rate the Italian league, ergo he doesn't know that Vieira left Juve. He even laughed at their attendance numbers. Since Inter aren't a poorly supported club - 48K is nothing to laugh it, that was once a very very good crowd for the Arsenal at Highbury - it smacks of ignorance.

And Gol TV had it, it's not like GOL TV is some out of the way channel if you're a soccer fan. FSC actually will have it this upcoming season.

It's become passe among fans of the Premiership to believe that Serie A is a crappy league, but that's simply not founded in fact. Considering the league's at an all-time low and still produces some quite superb football, I'd say it's extremely undervalued as a league.

Also in my experience a lot of people who naturally assume that the Premiership must simply be the best league in the world are often brainwashed by Sky and the Premiership's marketing. Look at the current buzz about how the Premiership is superior because 3/4ths of the CL semi-finalists were from the Premiership. Last year only ourselves made it past the second round - Man U finished BOTTOM of their group - and there was nary a peep commenting on the superiority of Spain (since they provided 1/2 the semifinalists and won the thing of course). Double standard, if you ask me.

15. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    finally a decent perspective on the subject......some seem to believe that football would cease to exist w/o the premiership.

16. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He was obviously referring to Juve's attendance numbers. If you weren't looking to pick a fight that would have been pretty obvious. I know your on a one man quest to stomp out ignorance on soccer message boards, but do you always have to be such a dick about it?

Actually, if you don't have a satellite dish, it is pretty out of the way. Trust me.

I've never heard the Italian league accused of being crappy. I've heard people call it boring.

I doubt someone from Georgia is operating under the control of Sky's brilliant marketing schemes.

17. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    1. "Tells you how much I rate the league". That's pretty obviously a kiss off to Serie A.

2. I can get GOL TV on digital cable here. I have to pay extra for it, so I don't get it, but I *could*.

3. I've heard people say it is crap because it is boring. Nevermind there's been more goals per game scored in Serie A than the Premiership for a couple years now..

4. Sky and the EPL produce Premiership broadcasts, and a lot of the pundits we read who constantly big up the Premiership are in England and so do watch Sky. And Sky has certainly been guilty of bigging up the Prem.

18. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Guardian is reporting that Gilles Grimandi will be appointed as Arsenal's new Director of Football this week.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/06/25/wenger_turns_to_grimandi_as_he.html

19. wwnyc

wwnyc Member

Sep 5, 2004
    '

it's a good read - also mentions the possibility of wenger signing an extension this week till 2011 and the possibility of dein coming back at the end of the upcoming season once fiszman sells his stake to kroenke......

20. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    The Grimster appointment is no surprise to me. But this quote in that blog is...

"There are strong hints of an announcement that the Arsenal manager has signed a £15m-plus, three-year contract extension that would tie him to north London until 2011." :eek: :D

21. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did i miss that? There's so much in that article, i just wonder how much of its accurate? Nothing sounded too far fetched.

22. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    I know. It is a "blog" but some blogs are more reputable than Old Media...cough cough NoTW....

For all the wailing on BigSoccer, I think the Arse board are a very shrewd lot and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they announced a deal like that.

23. jameslamont

jameslamont Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norfolk, GB
    Im not too sure I believe the article about the Wenger part because Wenger has said that he will only discuss a new contracr after next season, perhaps the board and Arsene have realised there is such an uneasy feeling about Arsenal FC and it's future in the wake of Dein and now Henry leaving they need to put the fans mind at ease, which IMO is a great thing to do.

24. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Uh...the Guardian is very, very old media.

And I'm happy with Grimandi as Director of Football and with Wenger staying. Now go buy some players, you damn Alsatian bastard.

25. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra

Uh...I know. I happen to read it.