Arsenal vs. THFC (The North London Derby) Pre/dur/Post Match

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Win or lose, I would rather play Flamini over Cole in the CL purely due to his spirit and hard work over the last few months at LB.

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    i know this is the wrong thread for it.. but ******** it.. i dont care..
    thats a tough choice cameron. what do you do? cole is one of the best in the world, not really matchfit, and has obvious off-field issues with the club.

but how can you bench flamini (assuming we get there) after all he has done to get us there. i dont know what the answer is, although i think the right thing to do is play flamini, I personally would play cole.

3. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    makes me glad I am a supporter and not Le Boss.....tought decisions coming......do you feel the same about Sol v. Phil?

4. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    love how this girl knows her football. :)

dont know what i'd do... another tough decision. thank god we have the best manager in the world to sort this out. :D

5. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    I think the Sol vs Cambell thing is a bit easier. I would put Phil there without a doubt. The reason why im saying this is that we KNOW that Cole is one of the best and if not THE best LB in the world, and once back to fitness is consistent. However, CB i think is a bit harder to break in terms of a partnership. I mean Toure and Cambell were partners a long time but Phil and Toure have gained a good partnership over this CL game sand to break it up for 1 game can be costly.

6. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree. if healthy, Phil plays over Sol.

And I would also play Cole over Flamini, again, if healthy.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think it will also be dependent on who the opponent is and in what shape that team is playing. Barcelona with all players ready would be dramatically different from, say, Milan with 1-2 players suspended. Different styles of attack, etc.

As it pertains to the Derby... again, depends on things we're not seeing in practice. I hate the fact that the CL match next week is on Tuesday, but no use crying, etc. I expect s**** to push the pace and force the game, and I expect Le Boss to counter with something similar to the conventional CL formation to clog the middle and rely on Arsenal's superior skill players to win the day. An early goal will easily turn the pressure back onto Tottenham, who'll then have to be more frugal with their advances and more selective in trying to get goal scoring opportunities. Jenas is easily frustrated, IMO, and I imagine that Wenger will again settle on sacrificing some of Arsenal's creativity in exchange for nullifying any such chance for s****. At least, early on.

Do this and manage a decent work rate out of the midfielders, and the defense will suffice regardless of the lineup.

8. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I see this being a typical derby game. Not much football being played, more trench warfare in midfield. Wouldn't mind seeing Diaby in this one to be honest. And where's Ray Parlour when you need him? I'm thinking 1-0 with a goal coming from a set piece. Freddie will be the scorer of a messy goal that is a long time in coming. Could be a sending off or two in this one also.

First goal is crucial.

9. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Who do you guys think the lineup will be? I know AW said that there will be a rotation, anyone have any clues at who will get rotated? I think Cesc will be playing, since he had some rest when injured.Im assuming Reyes will play, Abedayor, not sure who else.

10. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    this is who i'd like to see versus them.

-------------lehmann--------------
    eboue---toure-----senderos---flamini
    hleb-----gilberto---diaby------reyes
    -------adebayor----henry----------

11. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    I know I do. This is transfer-thread-talk....but buy low/sell high seems like a good policy here.

12. i404

i404 Member

Apr 19, 2006
    .ca - .de - .hr

Healthy is one thing, form is another...I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    I would play Cole if he signed a new contract :p But lately it's very hard to
    like the little prick.

13. LedleybetterthanSol

Jun 16, 2004
    Gold Coast/Australia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    LOL, we passed Man U off the park for the first 20 mins, then Ronaldo and Rooney linked up on a brilliant counter attack, something your 30 something year old wingers definately are not capable of. To say our play against ManU was pathetic is a laugh, or match was of a much higher standard than yours last week. If you think Dawson is a "mug" you are sadly mistaken. ;)

14. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    he JUST did before the season.. he is under contract for 2 or 3 more years.

15. i404

i404 Member

Apr 19, 2006
    .ca - .de - .hr
    Yeah, but I want him to sign another one, and say that he's happy haha ;)

16. Skizz

Skizz Guest

It's all good passing a team off the park for 20 minutes but it's a shame that a match is generally 90 minutes long. Your team had a 'mare, face it. And can I just point out:

Thierry Henry 28
    Robbie Keane 15
    Robin Van Persie 11
    Hossam Ahmed Mido 11
    Robert Pires 10
    Jermaine Defoe 8
    Jermaine Jenas 7
    Jose Antonio Reyes 4
    Gilberto 4
    Emmanuel Adebayor 4
    Ledley King 3
    Dennis Bergkamp 3
    Alexander Hleb 3
    Cesc Fabregas 3
    Pascal Cygan 2
    Paul Stalteri 2
    Michael Carrick 2
    Edgar Davids 1
    Teemu Tainio 1
    Aaron Lennon 1

Top scoring midfielder from both teams? A 32 year old winger? Don't you feel silly? Do your research before you come over here harping on about what our "30 year old wingers" are and aren't capable of. Now run back to your sh!tty little stadium and start worrying about Saturday with the rest of your scummy lot.

bigg

17. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. RobC

RobC New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Trivandrum, India
    Just a few points before the game:

1. Spurs are ready to ask UEFA to overrule the new rule which will allow Arsenal to go to the Champions League as defending champions even if they finish outside top four in the league. For all the tough talk from the Spurs, not too confident are they, of making the Champions League? Oh, and what makes the Spuds think that UEFA gives a shit about whether they make the Champions League?

2. The Gunners will probably have to watch out for a messy, physical game from the Spurs cause a draw would suit them fine. Reyes better make sure that he keeps his legs out of harms way. See, it is a well recorded phenomenon that the lesser teams try to break Reyes' legs.

3. We are likely to have a problem with squad choice. Rest Fabregas. Let Toure and Henry play only for 50 - 55 minutes and then bring on the Iceman. I would love to see Dennis ripping the Spuds to shreds by going old school. Simply feel that it is going to be one of those days which will see Dennis writing few of the last golden chapters in his Highbury life.

4. Oh, and I would love to see Diaby kick the circus clown Keane in the nuts. Just for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

2 - 0 to the Arsenal (Adebayor and Eboue)

19. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some words of encouragement for Spuds fans, courtesy of Martin Jol.

'We will have more disappointments in the future,' said Jol. 'It will probably take me a day or two to get over not being in the Champions League but then we will still be in Europe and that will be another achievement.

'If you had told before the season that we would be in Europe next year, I would have been happy - whatever the competition.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=365433&cc=5901

Good attitude there, Martin. :)

20. Skizz

Skizz Guest

skysports.com predict 3-1 Arsenal, and Mark Lawrenson says 2-0. Everyone seems to be leaning in the same direction, except the Spuds.

bigg

21. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    You can't base the derby on previous form. Which is basically what those 'experts' are doing. Not that you could really call that whinging scouse git an expert.

22. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Hey dude, just made a statement. Nothing in it at all.

bigg

23. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Anyone know if Davids, Garner, and Mido will be playing yet?

24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    a) Even I won't begrudge the s**** for lobbying this point, given the amount of money that's at stake. Sadly the disparity in revenues produced by the league meant this would be a formality for any club in their position, even Chelsea or Arsenal.

That being said, I think the rule is correct and was fairly adopted. The opportunity remains for clubs to earn their berth within the field of play. In this particular case, if the team finishing fourth is dissappointed about this then they should just strive to finish third.

Course, this point would be muted if some of that money was paid to leagues in general rather than just the clubs...

b) I think the points about Tottenham playing a tight game, possibly for a draw, are spot on and cause for concern. It might even be in their best interest to field as many professional fouls as they feel they can get away with, perhaps in hopes of forcing Wenger to pull 1-2 stars of the pitch "for their own protection/ rest." It'd be a shame to see it go that way, but seems a very real possibility.

c) I want to see the ball played w-i-d-e a lot during this game. Refering to the discussion above I think the Arsenal wingers are in fine form and the team has the speed to make this a nuisance for Tottenham. Moreover, I think keeping the ball outside as much as possible would do well to frustrate their midfielders and strikers, allowing Arsenal the bulk of possession.

d) Make no mistakes. A win is all but needed and Arsenal is rightly under pressure thanks to some poor early season form. Tottenham is not complete rubbish and they will press.

2-1, Arsenal. A third would be possible if the run of form finds the whites giving in to the pressure late in the game. Home crowd should be in fine form.

25. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    "Whattya think of Tottnumb?..."