Arsenal vs. Southampton [R] Pre/Dur/Post Match Comments

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the lads will come roaring back from the loss to Man Utd. I know this sounds COMPLETELY INSANE, but I think the loss will be key to us having a successful season. Maybe the slap in the face was a way to motivate our side? Maybe all the wins got boring to the Gunners? Just maybe Henry will rekindle his fire to destroy opponents? I pray that I'm right. 3-0 is my prediction for this match. Reyes, Pires, and Bergkamp will each put one past the Soton GK. Philips and Beattie are injured.

Come on Arsenal! Come on!!!

2. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No its not insane to think that Arsenal will come back stronger from the loss. And if you look at what the media are likely to cover in the coming weeks, much of the attention is bound to shift from the Gunners to Manchester United.

Arsenal will win 4-0 against helpless Southampton. Complete domination. I feel sorry for Niemi already ;)

I would go with this squad

---------------------Lehmann----------------------
    Ashley Cole-----Campbell-------Toure--------Lauren
    Ljungberg-------Vieria----------Edu------------Pires
    ------------Reyes--------Henry--------------------

DB10 needs to come off the bench. He has just looked out of sorts recently.

3. Henrik

Henrik New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    4-0 Arsenal and manure (which I shall ALWAYS call them now, until horseface, the granny-shagger and purpleface retire) will draw away vs P'mouth.

Arsenal will be back firing on all cylinders. After this game we have Palace away, should be 6 points.

Should be good to catch up with Rick and the gang again, are you there mate, I have mailed you loads-a times?At you at the Tavern 1.30?

4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm hoping Edu gets the start. He had a fine game v Man Utd and hope he's able to build on it and shrug off his poor start. Plus, Cesc will get the playing time against a pretty full strength Man City team, so Wenger'll want to rest him.

5. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    6-1 to the Arsenal, just like the first game after we last lost.

6. gooner_913

gooner_913 New Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia
    this might get ugly, southampton have one striker whom they recalled from a loan to leeds. I think we'll be seriously pissed, what's our all time biggest victory?

7. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    that I'm not sure of.

I think it is a coincidence that we are playing Soton after a Prem loss because we played them the last time we lost to Leeds in the Prem in '03.

8. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely agree that the boys will want to bounce back quickly and really take it to Southhampton. This match will be important psychologically - a clear win is critical.

I'd like to see Edu start again; he played very well against United.

3-0.

9. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
  10. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wow I dont know about the 6 or the 1.

Six is a lot to ask, but then again we put 4 past Everton and Charlton, and our whole first team squad will be well rested. I'll stick with 4, with goals by Freddie, Sol, Thierry, and DB10.

More importantly, one is a lot to ask from a Soton side that have no first choice strikers and who are in last place anyways. :p

This should be an easy one, and I can see Arsenal racing ahead to a 3-0 lead by half-time, giving Arsene a chance to rest Thierry, Paddy, and the other walking wounded for Tuesday's more important clash.

11. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    A hattrick for Pennant and another for Pires. Pires' third goal was really good.

I think Soton could be in for a real hammering. We're playing at home and the lads are incensed and have a point to prove. I don't think the last game has hurt the team mentally, as in we'll start a loosing streak. In fact I think it'll have excately the opposite effect, because there of the (percieved) injustice done to them. The team do seem to thrive on a siege-mentality, which Wenger should be able to instill in them.

KJ

12. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    I don't think that the loss will be a key to a successful season for them, but I think that they will rally back from this loss to put in a dominating win this weekend
    3-0

13. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    If I recall the last time we went on a lengthy unbeaten run it was ended abruptly by Wayne Rooney (then for Everton), and our very next match was against Southampton who we trounced 6-1.

We just got stiffed by Rooney (now for Man U) and our next home game is against Southampton.

Im all for history repeating itself. Bring em!

Does anyone happen to know the goal scorers (and time?) from that 6-1 game?

14. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pennant had a hat-trick that game...

15. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Ah yes and so did Pires. I remember now!

16. AmericanGunner

AmericanGunner New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    U.S.A.
    All I know is that 2 things need to happen to convince everyone the Man Utd game changes nothing. 1) we need to win and 2) look good doing it.

"Normal service" needs to be resumed.

17. Henrik

Henrik New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    ....and with The Boys team beating City away, Soton struggling to overcome Colchester at home, we could be in for a treat on Saturday. How many of you guys are going?

18. runes777

runes777 New Member

Oct 15, 2002
    chicago
    ive head cole,cambell,PV4,and henry are all out for saturdays game(little niggling injuries),have you guys heard anything?

19. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i would consider resting some or all of those guys...Tuesday's CL game "looms large..."

20. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    I'll be there. North Back Upper (west wing block). Ill wave to ya :D

21. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sol???

Someone's always picking Sol to score. Which is amazing given that our corners are pathetic.

22. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Sol???

He did hit the post a couple of weeks back... and come to think you raise a good point. For such an attacking team we get too few corners.

23. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cole will bag one as will Campbell! I say hat tricks all around.

Go Gunners!!

24. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think that is so much that we don't get corner kicks, but more like we don't seem to score many goals from set pieces....we get the opportunity but generally can not capitalize on it.

25. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes