Arsenal vs. Red Bulls- (R) Emirates Cup final

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by supercooper, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of which has nothing to do with the attitude and display from the announcer. It was a straight admonishing of NYRB and by further extension the MLS and their "level" and "ability."

Same thing happened when Jozy debuted for Hull (the ESPN match that was shown). The entire commentary started out as a "polite" tell all on why he shouldn't be there and was out of his league but was switched at the end a bit reluctantly as he put in a good shift and showed the promise that got him there. Ditto Holden on debuting with Bolton ...

2. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    1/10.

3. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Sounds like you have a big chip on your shoulder.

Btw, how did it work out for Altidore at Hull?

4. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

You're worse than DCU/WSW when it comes to being able to follow a conversation and keep comments in context.

Actually, Altidore's time at Hull was pretty good ... and his best stop in Europe by a long shot. Hell, he won over the supporters, which tells you something about his work there.

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Says the guy who wrote:

"the brits get butthurt when yanks show up and are either a- good or b- better than expected."

This about a game that was a pre-season warmup. Good grief.

One goal in the Premier League says rather more. The guy was crap and pretty much a laughing stock.

6. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, what does that have to do with the commentators and their approach/attitude ?

I'm commenting on the FACTS of the situation in regards to the discussion in this thread. You're trolling my comments. Huge difference.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, he only scored one goal. However, such soccer savvy fans as they are in England, certainly wouldn't be a fan of a "laughing stock" would they ? Or are the Hull patrons just not proper fans ? His work rate was very good (on the pitch) and he presented more on the pitch to offset his lack of scoring (not that Hull was scorching the net anyway).

He didn't set the place on fire, but was far from a laughing stock. Of course, I highly doubt you actually watched much of/paid much attention to his time there.

7. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    PSG reinforcement themselves more than entire MLS salaries.

(I could be wrong)

8. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Ah, at least your posts are worth reading for their comedy value if nothing else. So exactly what is factual about:

You're a troll. And a pretty poor one at that.

9. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He thought MLS was crap before the game, and isn't the kind of guy to let any kind of evidence get in the way of his opinion.

His whole stance was "Arsenal should not be failing to beat a team of "this" quality". And while the quality was a lot higher than he game them credit for, the overall sentiment was right. It was a game, even on the day rather than just on paper, Arsenal should have won easily.

They didn't, and displayed the exact same frailties that cost them last year. And that, I'm sorry to say, is a much bigger story in England than a foreign club's plucky underdog performance.

10. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

QFT

The English media couldn't care less about how an MLS club performed. It's a continuation of the storyline that's been going on at Arsenal for years. They also blew a 2-0 lead against Boca Juniors, and I doubt the storyline was "The AFA has raised the bar!"

11. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As always, you didn't address the points, but whatever your schtick is already more tired and played out than the usual trollers around here.

What's factual about what I said ? I know it must pain you, but if you'd followed the thread/discussion you'd have seen plenty of other people commenting on the man and his comments during the match. My comment was a direct response to that. Does the ball need to bounce even slower, or should I just go straight to Crayola drawings for you ?

I absolutely agree on both accounts. And, the first part is the issue that is being taken. Regardless of the outcome, as a professional (term used lightly) you should be at least somewhat neutral and address what happened rather than just shit all over the club by not only what you say about them, but by what you say about the other club.

12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Ah trolling and insults. A two trick pony after all... well done!

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    And that is exactly why the announcer should have been focusing on Arsenal. However, this guy spent most of the match informing us that this match doesn't matter because Arsenal are too good for such opposition.

14. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    I missed the game. Are there any youtube highlights of the game?

And who won?

15. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Quite possibly. My guess was that he was stating how much the game meant to him.

16. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    Why are some of you so desperate to have the commentator praise MLS or NY? The man is entitled to his opinion, granted we all can agree his assestment under the light of scrutiny is overly harsh.

So what? Develop a tougher skin people.

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I suppose I'd be annoyed to hear a game called like this if the opponent was from Japan, or Belgium.

Just a bit of Yank - Brit rivalry here, and also a desire to see professionalism in our broadcasts.

18. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Yeah, but the announcer also got this wrong.

You didn't hear him making comments like "well at 1-0, the Red Bulls are still in this game and all it takes is one skillful play from Henry, and this could be a tied score" or "despite their dominance in possession, Arsenal is still not making much headway against the 'bend don't break' American side. They may not be Premership quality top to bottom, but they are keeping the score close here, and as an Arsenal fan you can't be too comfortable and, indeed, you may want to wonder if you've seen this movie before"

He could have easily gone this direction, and build some suspense. He would have at least made it more interesting, and in end effect, appeared prescient.

But he was just one lazy f*ck of a broadcaster. Horrendous. I honestly don't know why anyone would pay a guy like that to do color commentator. He really was a negative (not even a 0) to the viewing experience no matter who you were rooting for.

19. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because avoiding the point for three consecutive posts is being a productive member of the discussion :rolleyes:

MrSmartyPants = Read and reread the the two posts above mine over and over. THAT is what it's about, not a "need for MLS to be praised."

Were this match flipped, American announcers (most, we have our share of assmunchers) would have given the due credit or taken the professional approach.

20. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Oh, get off it. Nobody's displaying thin skin on this. That's a total misreading of what people are writing here.

Nobody is whimpering because he insulted MLS. People are annoyed because his criticisms were ignorant and off-base and devoid of anything resembling half-intelligent context.

21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    You made a trolling generalization, got called on it, and don't even have the integrity to stand behind your troll. How predictable.

22. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Indeed. Some MLS fans seem to be so desperate for "acceptance" that they seem to have an almost pathological need to get bent out of shape by stuff like this.

23. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So why are you still standing at the podium (so to speak)?

24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So wait Robbie Savage actually tried to join an MLS team? And the deal fell through, well, because he is done?

In that case his commentating was delightful.

Comedy. Mr.Savage. Bravo.

25. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States