Arsenal vs. Red Bulls- (R) Emirates Cup final

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by supercooper, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nissan, Renault, Fiat, Jaguar... somehow car manufacturer name pronunciation doesn't cross the atlantic divide well.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It wasn't taken out of context.

3. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Great job by the Bulls. Sure, it's a friendly tournament and all, but playing quality teams and getting quality results in Europe is still good to see. Certainly better than the alternative of seeing them get blown out over two games.

4. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From English papers.......

Arsenal 1 NY Red Bulls 1

[​IMG]
    Arsenal are booed by their own fans after letting another lead slip to surrender the Emirates Cup to New York Red Bulls.

5. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just glad Savage didn't end up playing for the Caps now that his true colors are out there.

6. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    As well, it should be remembered:

- Arsenal had their full starting lineup for this game. This was their 'A' team. Nasri and Fabergas (1 or both) will be leaving, so we saw the best Arsenal has. Red Bulls couldn't even field their 'A' team, btw.

- The season starts in just 2 weeks. This wasn't like a tournament 4-5 weeks from the season start. So, it should mean something, and the players should be fit.

- It wasn't just a friendly, it was a tournament.

- This tournament WAS IN THEIR HOME STADIUM.

- Teams had to play 2 games in 2 days, which should have been another advantage for Arsenal. Especially fact that- with such a low budget- Red Bulls had to play a lot of the same guys over 2 days twice. A double whammy for Red Bulls. Not even mentioning jet lag, etc.

- You'd think given fact that Arsenal has not won a trophy in 6 years, that there is so much controversy surrounding their side now, that they called heartless, spineless, choking at the end of games, 'pretty football but can't finish'.....you'd think that today would have been a perfect opportunity to put all that (plus the FA Cup loss to B'ham) somewhat behind them. But alas...

- Putting Red Bulls aside for a moment: there were really good teams in this tournament in PSG and Boca Juniors

- Arsenal are trying to establish a new Cup and all that goes with.

Given all this, and Wenger/Arsenal still couldn't produce a win today.
    They had everything on their side and in their favor.

Wow.

7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    What did I tell you about ignorant, arrogant, Brit rednecks?

In the US that accent covers up a lot, but England was one of the worst places I ever worked. Class is the exception...not the rule.

8. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    Good game bad first half for Red Bulls but played way better in the second half i like how Keel played and Agudelo gave energy, felt good to see an MLS team play in England vs a world class team little by little MLS is growing

9. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What's worse? Losing to a pub side or losing to one player?

10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    That's great - but this forum really isn't about your feelings about a group of people.

11. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    LOL to Skysports and their FRONT PAGE:

- They have article about a Manchester United friendly vs. Barcelona
    in the US (and previously about United beating Seattle, etc)

- They have article listed on Man City winning in an Ireland tournament

- But for some reason the Red Bulls winning a tournament vs. Arsenal in LONDON, in Arsenal's home stadium nonetheless, does not rate 1st page worthy.

Hmm........

12. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Forget Robbie Savage for a bit (and his obvious bias because he wants people to still think EPL is this uber-superior league in order that people continue watching and he thereby gets his paycheque), this game I don't think will change most foreigners who view MLS as crap.

BUT I do think that it may have the effect of people, instead of knee-jerking the response 'MLS is crap,' will now instead say "MLS is crap, but it's getting stronger".

At the very least.

13. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Out of interest, do you happen to know which games were on SKY, and which were on ESPN?

As you say, hmm... but probably for a different reason.

14. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    I see, makes sense now- thanks.

15. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Backe learned his lesson in the all star game, any sense that our teams can take it to top level EPL squads is foolhardy.

Red Bull New York certainly had a plan, pack it in and don't come out of our defense shell even a goal down. We were playing it to the end and hoping for just a couple of late chances which we got. We did a great job of passing guys on and surrounding guys on D but didn't have the skill level to actually make enough tackles (Henry was our best tackler, lol) to turn the ball over and gain possession.

Most of the game we thought we had time on the ball when we didn't, it took too long to adjust to the caliber of the opponent. We also had several unforgivable turnovers but the best game yet by Rost to bail us out.

The announcers were brutal and apparently unaware that their countryman Rodgers is a huge part of our team and we were lacking both he and the goal scorer from yesterday and one of our top guys Lindpere.

Albright is back and with 11 games to go this tournament was a great opportunity to play Solli up the field and Marquez at DM. DAX may not hold on to his job.

Doesn't mean a whole lot but a net positive.

16. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ugh, why did FSC have to take this game. Now I have to wait a couple of days to see a replay online in crappy quality compared to espn3 replays i get.

17. MrCharlie2

MrCharlie2 Member

Jan 8, 2000
    Bingo

18. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    the other game was on ESPN3 .... check it later today. i think since the game was broadcast in the UK on ESPNUK it will make it onto ESPN3 as a replay.

19. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    I wouldn't get worked up over anything Savage says. The dude is a God-level troll. I actually admire him for his ability to get everyone everywhere to hate him instantly.

20. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized something:

Isn't this the first trophy the NY Red Bulls have ever won or am I wrong?

21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Savage commentates the way he used to play, but instead of winding up his opponents he's now winding up his audience. I'm sure he'd be delighted to see some of the hilarious reactions he's provoked on this thread.

22. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm sure he was employed, partly because he can be "controversial".

I don't think he was trying to annoy American fans in any way though. I doubt he was even considering that any would be watching. His comments were more about highlighting what a bad result, importance notwithstanding, that this was for Arsenal. i.e. they were so bad that they couldn't even beat...

23. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Well, exactly, deriding the standard of Arsenal's opponents is actually taking the piss out of Arsenal and their inability to win as opposed to denigrating their opponents per se.

24. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol...that's perfect.

25. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ah, so he's not exactly insulting the other team when he craps all over them for 90 minutes.