Arsenal vs. Panathinaikos (R) PBP thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Coach_McGuirk, Nov 2, 2004.

1. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Seriously if we don't beat PSV, we might not even qualify on unarguably the easiest group. IF that does happen, we don't even belong in Europe.

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    no, SERIOUSLY... :D

3. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Oh btw, W.T.F is wrong with Vieira/Henry/Pires they don't seem to be themselves.

We need a new captain because Vieira is useless at it.

4. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Maybe the decline of the national team is coming to club football? :confused:

Maybe Vieria's heart just isnt with Arsenal anymore, and he laments more than we think the chance to go to Madrid. I'm still convinced as well that Henry might be playing with a slight knock from a few weeks ago. Finally, Henry is more dangerous when JAR is up front with him... please restore this partnership Arsene!

I think we'll get number two in teh group but we are in the easiest group so its not looking good for the knockout stages.

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree with Mad

While not as unhappy with Vieira as MT is, Vieira is not playing ball as well as he did last year. This team will only go as far as Vieira is able to bring it -- he is our most crucial player. To shake up the team we may need to do something a little different, and that may very well be awarding the captaincy to someone else.

6. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: I agree with Mad

Vieria is critical, but I would argue that Sol is even more critical. Our confidence just seems so much lower if he's not there.

Of course, we are also seeing the impact that Gilberto makes as well. This team was rolling early in the year with his stellar defensive play. Missing him for another six weeks is crucial: Edu is inconsistent, and despite the increasing cult of Cesc, Fabregas is still untested over several games.

All of this points to the need to aggressively recruit another central defender and defensive midfield during the January transfer window. Up front we are fine, and in the midfield we are strong too, especially as Van Persie has started to play a more prominent role.

Every team goes through down periods during the season. Hopefully Arsenal is getting theirs out of the way. However, there should be few excuses in the next few weeks. Every game we play is winnable. Premiership ties against Palace that cant defend, a Spurs team that cant score, and a West Brom team that can't play away from home. Everton is the Carling Cup might be tricky but I think we should win that as well. Finally, PSV is strong, but we're better damnit!

7. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Finally you guys see sense, Gilberto is the perfect partner for either Cesc/Vieira.

8. Suckafree

Suckafree Member

Sep 16, 2002
    B-Town
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone needs to relax. It comes down to the next matchday. If Arsenal beats PSV and Pana loses to Rosenborg Arsenal move on to the next round. So focus on the next match. It's not the end of the world. They move on and they have three months to heal and regroup.

Shake yourselves, act like you've been here before.