Arsenal vs Chelsea (EPL) 29 Dec 2019

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Dec 27, 2019.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This match illustrates why Granit Xhaka is so important to this team.

2. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate this squad.

Super Llama and Cannon repped this.
  3. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is the last time we were in bottom half of table at new year? Ridiculous.

4. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    At least the banter era players were likeable

daedalus repped this.
  5. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Our central midfield is a gigantic problem. Once Jorginho came on they had control

Deep Wilcox and Walia Ibex repped this.
  6. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lampard made the needed adjustment after Arsenal early good play and Arteta didn't respond. Out possessed and shot again.

NorthBank and Walia Ibex repped this.
  7. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Bitter stuff that result especially coming against Chelsea. But Chelsea has way more quality then us in nearly all positions. Only Aubameyang and Leno are better imo in terms of quality. Hiw isn't that their academy is so damn good. Even the RB Lamptey looked dangerous. What is our Acadmey producing?

Super Llama repped this.
  8. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't watched much lately, but I found myself wishing for a more dominant midfield player that could relieve pressure and a CF with some real playmaking ability like Van persie maybe?

Super Llama repped this.
  9. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arteta got out coached a bit. Once Chelsea switched from 3 atb to a back 4 Arsenal were out played. Trying to defend for an hour with a back 4 of AMN Mustafi Luiz and Saka is pretty much asking for goals. Trying someone else than Willock, he's basically just a body who adding nothing when he comes on. Nelson had a few ok moments but he hasn't exactly earned playing time. Lacazette isn't good enough to take Auba out of playing centrally. But Auba basically played lb today.

10. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely. I think both strikers basically need a pass directly at their feet to score. But there's no one really to do that. A guy who could create at cf would do wonders.

11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Big problems ahead:

Great start, again, but the problem with this team is that the midfield sucks, especially without Xhaka. Guendouzi has been abysmal for a long time now. Maybe Ceballos will look better under Arteta when he returns, but the January priority should be a midfield signing.

The Jitty Slitter and Super Llama repped this.
  12. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league is completely over with for this season. Just go young and see if you have anything there and play Auba/Ozil and co in the europa league.

spot repped this.
  13. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Auba a great example today though? His effort was inspiring

daedalus, FC RASTA and Super Llama repped this.
  14. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He definitely looked like a captain for the most part.

daedalus, NorthBank, Walia Ibex and 3 others repped this.
  15. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Yeah. Or someone like him. This match is a case study on why just getting your players to sprint a lot will only take you so far.

Emery did the same thing when he came in, got the players running a lot which saw some uptick in perceived performance.

AMN, saka, Laca, Nelson, were all dead on their feet by 40 mins. You just can’t play like this during such a stretch of games. The squad will have little for united on Wednesday.

Anyway, I liked what I saw passing wise while the players had energy to get into space. Individual mistakes cost us dearly as usual, but under that kind of pressure what do you expect? Also, one wonders if mustafi was 100% after the concussion.

Luiz had another good game overall, ozil and Auba were the standouts for me. Torriera mostly good, but going forward he again made some poor decisions/balls.

I’m losing confidence the academy players will make good. Probably time to cash out a few of them. Chelsea’s academy products by comparison are miles ahead really.

Puzzled with the subs arteta is making to be honest. Either play Pepe or don’t if you have good reason, but don’t put him on for 5 minutes after the playmaker has gone off and everyone is too tired to linkup.

6 ft. Leprechaun, Cannon and Super Llama repped this.
  16. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Laca seems like a cnut. :laugh:

17. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    While they didn't have Jorginho on they couldn't get near us. It wasn't really a case of us running much more as we owned possession. It was after that point where we were chasing, especially in the second half

18. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad.

I will say that you can at least tell that Arteta is having an effect. The problem is, the players just aren't good enough.

19. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Ya, he is. But the question is are those effects sustainable.

Every new manager will get players doing a little extra. Just look at ozil today vs when his later starts under Emery. Energy-wise it is night and day. Ditto for Luiz—a different player. Even Auba was working hard under Emery, has turned it up a notch. Another poor result and ozil will be back to his sulking self, Luiz will return to clowntown and he may even lose these scrappy Auba goals.

I’m most impressed with the return to passing precision. While our final ball was poor today, the buildup passing and risk taking was much better. This will pay dividends against poorer sides when we have more possession.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We keep giving teams that do t deserve anything point after point

arteta has improved our play so much, but as the saying goes

you can’t polish a turd

Super Llama repped this.
  21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Guendouzi needs to sit and watch for a while. He not good enough.

Leno’s kicking caused so much problems today. We couldn’t keep the ball, a lot it was due to him giving it away or kicking it out.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had "subpar" viewing today so maybe I missed something, but why do you think Mustafi was concussed? His immediate reaction to the head collision made it look like he was in big pain but clear headed.

23. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    :D
    I think he was bleeding from the back of his head, which is why he wasn’t moving while he was lying on his side. One of the trainers was cleaning the back of his head with a swab. It mustn’t have been a very serious cut because they didn’t bandage it. Maybe some of it was Rudiger’s blood.:D

I was pissed at the end of the game, but you can see the improvements in team shape under Arteta, so he’s had more of an effect than just getting them to work hard. If Arteta can have an immediate impact on the team’s shape, it really makes you wonder about just how bad a coach Emery was.

Tonerl, DaPrince84 and Super Llama repped this.
  24. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Just giving the player the benefit of the doubt. The head injury treatment in the EPL is still shocking. Looked like it may have been a side impact on mustafi which is often worse than back/front.

I agree, but honestly I saw positive trends under Freddie as well.

One thing is for sure, he needs to decide if he’s willing to die on the Pepe shaped hill the same way Emery did on hill Ozil. If Pepe doesn’t practice well then don’t bring him. If he isn’t fit, then say so. But the is miles better than Nelson.

228FDD18-785D-45FD-BE35-0678954B9CF9.jpeg

And defensively it’s not like Nelson is doing that much: one tackle for Nelson in the last two games. Auba has 4 for comparison.

25. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If Pepe decides to put in a defensive shift he'll play, it's simple. And as good as Auba was defensively today, let's not pretend that tackles are the metric for determining whether an attacking player is doing enough defensively. Let's also not pretend this is an Arteta hill--Emery barely played him either. He's a major defensive liability that was getting picked apart by the top clubs we've faced (most notably City).

Additionally, Arteta wants to play with a specific tactical shape which so far has involved an inverted right wing back and genuine width on the right side. For all he offers in attack, Pepe doesn't offer right-sided width. Again, the original sin here is with the people who decided to sign him when he doesn't fit into either our old or new managers' tactical setups and is basically impossible to play at the same time as our other best attacking players.

I'm all for patience with him; I don't necessarily blame Pepe for the predicament he's in. But let's be real clear too--Chelsea bought Pulisic for 15m less and he has not needed an adjustment period like Pepe has.