Arsenal vs Chelsea Blues (EPL) 26Dec2020

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, Dec 24, 2020.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This match reminds me of another Arsenal v. Chelsea post-Christmas fixture, which Arsenal also won 3-1. I missed that one, because I was on a plane back from Dubai, where I'd gotten married. That was ten years ago (!), and I didn't even need to look that up. :D

For reasons I don't understand, she got an anniversary cake with the Arsenal crest on it. I, fully illustrating my complete lack of tact, say something to the effect of "Why would you get a cake with an Arsenal crest on it when Arsenal are so rubbish right now?" Then again, I was equally pessimistic about Arsenal's chances against Chelsea in that other fixture too.

2. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Yeah, this match really brought into focus what has been wrong. The midfield lacks any creativity on the ball and all they can do is pass it around and hope. They lack players with the ability to drop in and link the midfield and attack. Laca, Auba and Pepe all need service, to be played into space. When the space isn't there, it's swinging in crosses. (Willian just sucks).

Saka (in the front 3 and not at wing back), ESR, and Gabi can all link play, carry the ball through tight spaces, and keep their heads up to find teammates. They didn't pull everything off, but they were so much more dangerous. The midfield is still kind of crap, but it isn't as glaring. Add Partey and it looks a lot better.

maskito repped this.
  3. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Imagine a world where we don't waste time and money on Willian, pay the release on Partley early and are playing with a functional midfield all season.

daedalus and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  4. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    From Sky Sports

Arsenal's young trio bring the energy
    • Emile Smith Rowe ran further than any player on the pitch in the first half: 5.74km
    • Bukayo Saka ran further than any player on the pitch across the 90 minutes: 11.49km
    • Gabriel Martinelli made more sprints than any player on the pitch across the 90 minutes: 20

FC RASTA, danielh, maskito and 4 others repped this.
  5. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I agree with this:

maskito, Silva 5, DutchCane and 3 others repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can only hope that Arteta reads or watches Sky Sports. ;)

7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    maskito, DutchCane and daedalus repped this.
  8. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Better than Dani

maskito and daedalus repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This can't be right - 20 is a small sprint volume? I recall Ozil and Alexis used to do 50+

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Can we omit Willian from the roster now?

I don't think we have room for such a garbage non-homegrown player

Let's force him to find another club

11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    If he walks right back into the team, I consider that a fireable offense.

danielh, yossarian, mebeSajid and 2 others repped this.
  12. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    They may be using different criteria for the distance covered at speed to qualify as a sprint.

13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it was funny watching highlights. lee dixon goes, "one more goal and the game is ove . . . " as saka somehow lobs mendy with his right foot and dixon went completely silent.

14. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    To me this game is an indictment of Arteta, none of these changes were voluntarily made imo.

FC RASTA, DaPrince84, mebeSajid and 3 others repped this.
  15. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole season is an indictment of Arteta.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  16. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    He doesn’t fully trust young players. Saka gets a pass because he had established himself as a starter before Arteta’s arrival. The addition of Willian, the re signing of Luiz and Aubameyang, the signing of Cedric, and even the signing of Partey, all demonstrate a preference for experience over youth. The youngest player signed on Arteta’s watch is Gabriel at 22. Everyone else is 26 or older.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  17. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To his credit, Arteta didn't start Mozzer, Willock, or Nketiah.

mebeSajid, daedalus and Super Llama repped this.
  18. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    and of the club and the entire structure which has been buttocks from 2008 and on. It's mindblowing that this is still the 11th biggest club in the world financially

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, didn't expect that sort of performance. Well done. I want Xhaka gone, but hat tip to him. He was, for the most part, good today with his passing and clogging the lanes. And his free kick was excellent.

ESR and Martinelli deserve to keep getting minutes, although given his recent return from injury, I'm fine if we don't Wilshere him for a bit. And Saka, sheesh, we seem to have found a real gem. Loved his goal whether he meant it or not.

Laca worked his arse off. He's never going to be great in that "Firmino" role or whatever the hell it's supposed to be (yeah, I know with ESR we were set up a bit differently today) but it's not for lack of effort.

Both our outside backs had good days too. Bellerin may not be the best defender but he's so much better going forward than AMN. It's not even close at the moment. Tierney was also excellent. Great drive into the box to win the PK, and I disagree with anyone saying it was a dive. He was past his defender and driving toward goal. If you're at a sprint and have the back of your heel clipped in addition to the defender trying to pull at your shoulder, it doesn't take much to cause you to lose balance.

Again, great win. With Auba on the mend, and the combination of Saka, Pepe, and Martinelli available, I really hope Willian never starts again. Good grief, Arteta needs to reward these players who showed they deserve instead of the Chelsea pensioner.

Silva 5, mebeSajid, InTheSun and 2 others repped this.
  20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I too would like to see the back of Xhaka, but I believe that’s the best game I’ve seen from him in a long time, without even taking into account His goal.

21. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    ESR knows how to exploit space. Something apparently no one else on the squad knows how to do and if made Xhaka better. It's a simple game really

DaPrince84 repped this.
  22. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    R, Merry Christmas, dude. Been ages. We gotta catch up next time I'm in the City.

What a fantastic result today, and thank God we got it. Fat Frank can do one. He threw his players under the bus hilariously post match.

Keep the kids, insert Auba, Partey, Gabriel. Exile Willian.

UP THE ARSE. Roll on Tuesday.

23. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    your point matches what was brought up in some of the podcasts about xhaka needing but have been lacking runners who finds space.

24. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
  25. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    #175 super gooner, Dec 27, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    I do wish you'd stop putting up that image, it disturbs me.