Arsenal @ Villarreal, Champions League Semi-final 2nd Leg Pre/dur/Post Match

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by HomeatHighbury, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well...someone said that it needed to be started, so here it is. We had one eye on the 2nd leg and drew 1-1. Villarreal had two eyes on the 2nd leg and lost 2 nil. I'm looking forward to seeing Reyes in Spain...not looking forward to the potential situation of throwing Sol into a CL Semi Final away from home as comeback #2. Anyone know Senderos' status for Tuesday, besides doutful?

2. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Personally I would rather have Djourou instead of Campbell. I think it's a telling point that Djourou started at right back as before the whole Campbell incident, Toure would of been at right back and Campbell would of played today. I would be surprised if Campbell started.

I really think that we need to dig deep in Spain. Play the sae as we did in Turin and Madrid and try to catch them on the break. I'll be there from Monday to Wednesday, unfortunatly we will only have about 800 fans there due to ticket constraints. But I feel if we can get Freddy and Hleb playing like they have been with Reyes back who was fantastic today, we can attack on the break and come away with a win.

COME ON ARSENAL - BELIEVE

3. gunner-anders

gunner-anders New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Edinburgh
    Djorou hasn't impressed me much yet. Everyone's been hard on Campbell lately, and while he may be past his prime, he's still a world-class CB. His performance at Portsmouth was respectable, and I'd say he should be given another chance to prove he's back this Tuesday.

4. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Campbell is anything but world class. He wasnt even playing at a world class level before his little meltdown.

5. gunner-anders

gunner-anders New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Edinburgh
    That's pretty unfair. When a player has a spell of bad performances, it doesn't change their past or their very nature. Campbell was one of England's best defenders, and this year especially he's had trouble. Fine. But you can't ignore past accomplishments, and his form this year has still been generally alright.

I trust Sol more than Djourou out there, plain and simple. He's past the West Ham meltdown he says, and he's feeling good. Why doubt him? He's experienced. He's not an idiot. Have a little faith and hope for the best I guess. It's not like we've got tons of options.

6. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006

You is what you is. Sol was horrible before his "injury", and the thought of him playing is going to make me sleepless monday night. The past and a players 'nature' are irrelevant. Just because Tony Adams used to be the best defender in England doesnt mean I would want him in the team now.

7. Clockend

Clockend New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    London
    Sol was holding the team together when he came back at the start of the season. He played with injury because we needed him and the result was some poor displays.

How short some memories are.

8. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    First page! :D

Only 800 Gooners, Rick? Good thing its a small town down there...it'll make the crew seem a bit bigger?

9. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    I would like to see us charge out of the gate attacking. If it were 2-0, I'd say play like we did at Juve.

But its not, so attack and fight for that away goal. If get that one then we can let Villareal have 2 and we are till through.

I'm afraid that both thems kill of the first half and we concede from a set piece late. Thats why I think attack. Assume they will score once and know that one goal from us pretty much kills off the tie with the way we have been playing defensively/

10. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i agree with billy on this one...

djourou instead of sol for now. hes had more minutes than sol in our makeshift backline since real so might as well. unless phil is fit.

we can go with a 442 and attack or play the normal 451 and hope for something on the break. not sure what AW will do.

11. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Id bet it all on a 451 with Henry as the attacker, Reyes at LM, Ljungberg at RM,Gilberto and Cesc in the middle and the usual suspects on defense minus Phil and plus Djourou. It has worked entirely too well to change it up now.

12. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    --------lehmann----------
    eboue-toure-djourou-flamini
    ---------gilberto----------
    hleb-cesc--ljungberg-reyes
    -----------henry----------

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Sol is going to start this one. I don't see how Wenger would pass him over for Djourou if he's ready to go. If Campbell is left out on Tuesday, its pretty much the sign that his career at Arsenal is over. As far as the formation, i'm sure we'll be seeing the 4-5-1 again, its really a no brainer. They are going to have to come out and attack at some time, and when they do we'll be ready to hit them on the break. I suspect they will play the first half like they did last week, staying back and diving to try for free kicks. In the second half they might actually have to try to play football.

14. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006

I did forget a position, excellent work. It will be interesting to see who starts between Sol and Djourou.

15. Kaizen666

Kaizen666 New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    I'd like to see them attack more also. Well, not so much attack more, but FINISH some of those attacks more. Getting a bit tired of 'Shoulda been 2 nil, 4 nil" Ect...

16. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really will be interesting. I wonder how much financial concerns will affect Wenger's decision? Because if Sol doesn't play, he definitely won't be going to the World Cup. If he doesn't show he can still play, he'll be nearly impossible to get rid of in the offseason due to his huge contract.

17. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    I dont think finances have any impact on the situation. True, it would be nice to unload Sol this summer, but it has to do with who is more fit and who has had the better form. I was one of the people that was furious about Sol walking out on his teammates, and being as such, I still do not have any confidence in him. I do not think he is playing for a WC place either, as Sven has probably had his list picked out for a solid month. Sol hasnt been healthy enough or in good enough form this season for him to be considered for a place. However, this is just one fans opinion.

18. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree, I'm sure that Wenger is looking at Sol's contract and wondering how he can get out of it. There is no way that Wenger is going to keep him on a backup with his salary. And as far as his form, i don't think its been as bad as you make it out. He seemed out of shape and had some poor games, but playing with Cygan in the lineup can do that to any defender. ;)

19. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Now there is a player I never want to see in our redcurrant/red and white strip again!

20. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wouldn't mind seeing sol come out for this one. Just sit him down and tell him, "your worldcup is in serious doubt, you havent been able to challenge fora starting spot, and this is now our most important game this season. The future of the club will be determined by this game, now are you ready to go out and play a game worthy of taking us to a champions league final, because if you aren't prepared to go out and give it your all, there are other players who are"

Then give him one months severance and send him on his way.

21. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be surprised if Wenger is as ready to write Sol off as some of you are. Defenders can have productive careers well into their thirties as they get smarter. My idol Tony Adams is a great example of this! He can return to form if he can get his head together.

As to the game, the prospect of Eboue, Toure, Djourou and Flamini in the back line is a little scary since we probably do not have quite the defensive strength (especially with regard to hard tackling and in the air) but as we start and supplement so many of our attacking moves out of the defence it is exciting to see so much speed back there! In addition, if Gilberto can isolate Riquelme as he did before, it should be an entertaining, attacking game even out of a 4-5-1.

Should be fun.

22. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra

FYP :cool:

If Campbell's schnoz has healed, he's a definite starter since Senderos is out. He'll put in a good performance...no motivational speech will be necessary. If he can't get up for this match when all of his team-mates have been playing a blinder in Europe then he has seriously hit a purple patch in his career.

23. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    djourou instead of sol campbell?? c'mon, that is just silly.
    Big Sol will be just fine in spain on Tuesday (how quickly we forget).
    im all about radical thinking, but Campbell wont be a problem, imo.

24. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Good thing is that Hleb and Ljungberg will be rested. The will be playing really well out there on Tuesday. Whats the deal with Reyes? Is it just me or has he not been playing too well lately?

25. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    i agree with this except Campbell in for djourou.
    also, would it not be more productive to play hleb in his favoured center position and ljungberg in his more recognisable spot on the right?
    i dont understand this