Arsenal v. Villareal, Champions League Semi-final postgame [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Cannon, Apr 19, 2006.

1. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    yer. you outplayed and beat real at the bernebeu, well done. looks good next to your no european cups. (hey i can bring up useless facts in a match thread too)
    i just dont see where your point comes in. real are a bunch of non wroking players, in a ground where the fans boo the players more than they cheer them. it wil be harder in Villarreal. as much as i love real, i feel Villarreal have theit priorities sussed better than us. and hence their home games are true home games, everyone battling. everyone behind the team. like in england

2. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Off topic: Then why are they behind Real Madrid 6 spots in the table??

On topic: As long as we shut out Riquelme... we should be fine. Forlan couldn't do anything, whichever way he tried. It's a true testament how much he has changed since last season. Last year he was a predator, but this season it's his former self at Manchester United..

Sorin couldn't get anything going either. Tacchianardi couldn't operate and even he was falling. He is suspended so one thing is certain: Villareal have it all to do, the hard way.

3. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Villarreal has little squad depth. and this season in Europe it has really taken its toll. for instance against Barca they rested about 4 key players, like Riquelme, forlan sorin etc.
    also Riquelme and Forlan have both had fairly long spells on the sideline, which for them is a massive loss, as like i said they have little depth, and these are most important players.
    Real have not been good all season, but they did have a good run of about 10 games on the run winning. this is partly due to a new manager basically refreshing the team, and also a bit of luck. of late real's positions have painted over rather large cracks in the team, and has resulted in downfal for the next season. they finished 2nd, and always get into the latter stages of the CL. this appears therefore to make the club seem more stable than they actually are. the odd moment of genius from zizou or ronaldo and expecially Casillas has basically made the teams position look respectable than it should.

4. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Can't agree with any of this. Sorry.

5. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    It was a bit of a stretch... but don't you think Henry's game and his own personality have grown after becoming captain?

6. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you been watching Henry when things aren't going well and someone (mainly Reyes) does not make the best decision? It isn't pretty and it isn't helpful. He has shown glimpses of brilliance at the captaincy but not growth like you have noted. I have heard Henry say that when he is frustrated it is mostly at himself and not others but you can't tell that in his face or body language on the pitch.......

7. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
  8. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    I know what you're talking about.. but this was mainly at the beginning of the season.. Ever since around that loss to Liverpool at Anfield, where Henry also played horribly things have been on the up and up.. I think Henry expects the best out of his players, and I for one would have to agree with him. I don't know how many times I've seen Reyes, Pires, and Gilberto just lose out of a contest for the ball. Such veterans of the club should be doing better. Someone needs to tell them to get focused.

9. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody needs to start a new thread for the second leg.