Arsenal v Sunderland [R] Pre/Dur/Post Match

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by goonsquad, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday, February 21st, 2009
    Kickoff: 10am ET, 3pm GMT.
    TV: Setanta USA LIVE @ 10am ET

Well well well...Eduardo is back with a bang, and the team has got to be feeling good after yesterday's great win. Add in the likely debut of our new Russian playmaker and things are suddenly looking up for the Arsenal. Can we kick on and climb the table in the last 1/3 of the season? Can Eduardo's return have as dramatic an impact as his injury did last season? Tune in on Saturday to find out!

2. SkoalFyfan

SkoalFyfan Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
    I would like to see RVP and Eduardo start up front with Nasri and Vela on the respective wings and Arshavin's debut in the middle w/ Denilson.

3. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm excited for this one for obvious reasons. I'm curious to see wither or not Arshavin will start and where. He's capable of playing all over the place, but my guess is he'll start out wide. The center of midfield may not be the best place to introduce a new signing like Arshavin who will need to come to grips with the EPL asap.

Eboue should be back for this one, no? The Cardiff match would have counted as his punishment. Unless Arshavin is ready to start and play 60-90 minutes, then that's what I want to see, if not, then Eboue coming back is good edition.

4. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt we'll see that. Arshavin will almost certainly be on the right. Here's my guess:

Sagna-Gallas-Toure-Clichy
    Arshavin-Song-Denilson-Nasri
    RVP-Eduardo (or maybe Bendtner)

5. dynamo_gunner

dynamo_gunner Member

Jan 9, 2007
    H-town
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this lineup.

2-0 the Arsenal.

6. luvgunners

luvgunners Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Cornelius, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just wonder if Dudu is alright after the game yesterday. He went straight to the dressing room after replaced by RVP. If hes fit, i definitely wanna see him in the line up. No Eboue again, thank you!

7. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    This will be the lineup, methinks.

This team is coming into some confidence, and Sunderland is a bad club, and we are at home.

I'm thinking a comfortable 3-0.

8. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Bendtner and RVP should get the nod with Eduardo coming in as a sub.

9. mrnelson

mrnelson Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    I feel like with the creativity we displayed yesterday (finally!) - with Vela on the left and Nasri on the right - compounded with Cesc's absence, our best lineup would be something like this:

------------Manny-----------
    Sagna--Gallas--Toure--Clichy
    Arshavin--Nasri--Denilson--Vela
    RVP ---- Eduardo (if fit... or Bendtner)

I know Nasri played wide right yesterday, but like Silva5 said, throwing our new boy into the center of the park in his first EPL game seems like a recipe for disaster. I also feel like at this point, Nasri is the most creative (and fit) player we have that can get things going in the middle of the park. Although this would require Denilson to play back a little more, I think it gives us our most potent attack.

10. TheArgonaut

TheArgonaut Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I like this lineup...the CB's and CM's had a very solid game against cardiff and I'd like to see them continue that. However, I would start Bendtner. I thought he was unlucky not to pick up a hat trick and played really well against Cardiff. Plus I'm not sure about Eduardo starting again this quickly if he's not at full match fitness yet...perhaps he could come on as a sub.

Also...I was pleasantly surprised with Nasri's performance on the right...so perhaps we might try that again with Arshavin on the left...especially since he's been playing either as a left forward in a 4-3-3 or a second striker the last few years. Either way, I think Vela should be brought on for Arshavin after 60 mins b/c there is no way Arshavin is at full match fitness.

Here's to another clean sheet and 3 or 4 more goals

11. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think bendtner and rvp will start up front. no need is rushing eduardo too much, especially after he has a slight hamstring injury.

i think arshavin will get the start on the wing, with nasri, and denilson and song in the middle. i hope arshavin can give the team and the crowd a big boost and we can play like we did against sunderland. some more first half goals would be wonderful. if we are up by the 60th minute, i think eboue will replace arshavin. and maybe another appearance for eduardo, or vela.

let's keep up the momentum you gunners!

12. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like what he said. Vela over Eboue as a sub. Please Arsene.

13. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The match is Saturday the 21st, not Sunday.

14. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops:eek: Can a mod please change that?

15. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    NO Eboue. For the love of God, please no Eboue mr. wenger! Please! We have better, and MORE deserving players than that guy. Please prove the "experts" that you've still got it.

Ok, so Arshavin to start? Hmmm, i doubt it. 0 PL experience, new signing, is a start for Arshavin really Wengers M.O? im sure we'll see him come on for 25-30 minutes though:)

Eduardo to start also? highly unlikely IMHO.

Nasri & Vela didnt play the full 90 against Cardiff so im sure wenger will pick them as part of our strongest XI ATM.

almunia
    sagna-gallas-toure-clichy
    nasri-song-denilson-vela
    Bendtner-RVP

Subs- Eduardo, fabianski, djorou, arshavin, ramsey, JFW, Gibbs

3-1

RVP Hat trick:D

16. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it would be better for arshavin to start than come off the bench. you don't want him coming on in the 60th minute when everyone else is full speed and the pace of the game is high. he hasnt played in the epl before and would be better adapting to the game at the start, then coming on midway through the second half

he will start, or come in when the game is hand (85th min or later)

17. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is cisse available for them?

If he is, cisse and jones could cause us problems.

If we play like we did against Cardiff, by the 60th mark, we should be atleast 2-0 up.

You make a good point about arshavin being thrown into a game cold, but, i just can't imagine wenger Starting him either:eek:

Oh well, we'll find out soon enough;)

18. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
    I don't think we're going to see dudu at all. People are not taking into account the fact that this player had played the first club match in a year, so I really don't think AW is going to make him play two matches in a week. IMO Vela has earned himself a starting spot, Arshavin should come off the bench in the second half.

19. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done.

20. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Eduardo's most certainly going to be on the bench. AW already said that he's been without playing for 9 months so he wont be playing a game every few days which is more than understandable. Give him time to come back and adjust. At least we have RVP. I would love nothing more than to see Vela starting but Wenger is very stubborn about starting him for some reason. He has the spark we need and I think would be better than playing Eboue. I think if Vela starts then we could really get some goals here.

21. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Vela has definitely earned a starting spot in the next match based on his past performance. The good thing about him is that he can dribble, pass, cross, and shoot the ball well, something Eboue isn't good at.

22. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    but vela offers very little defensive support. something that eboue does really well and why wenger picks eboue more to put more balance in the team

23. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Agree....but as of late...were our problems more offensively or defensively?

24. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Last game was all about Eduardo, and I agree he should be on the bench as he is still working towards full fitness and sharpness. Start with RVP-Bendtner, and this game will be Arshavin's game to make a statement. Give him 60 minutes, then put on Vela and Eduardo to only further compound Sunderland's problems going into the final half hour.

Keep the rest of the midfield as is. It seemed to work, so let's not screw around with it too much. We need to keep these player infusions coming as it seems to do wonders for the team's confidence. Eduardo-Arshavin right now, another 2 weeks until we have Walcott-Ade, and then maybe another 2-3 weeks after that until we see Cesc-Rosicky for the final run in.

25. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I will only believe Rosicky is back when he is on the field, and does not limp off of it.