Arsenal v Liverpool- EPL- 24 Aug [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Red Bird, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]V [​IMG]

Did not see a match thread, so shall have a go. Another Monday night match, this time away and we do not normally do well in those situations. But there is a time for everything, eh? We need to avoid defeat here.
    Mission template as always is to go and and win but el-cap is right; I think we'll play pragmatic football until the team adhesion improves and the "awkward" away fixtures list passes (although in this league it's gravely mistaken to assume any matches are easier than others.) Henderson is apparently going to be allowed to make for himself the decision to play after a scan dispelled any fears of a fracture :rolleyes:I've already had my say on this in another thread so I'll leave it at that except to say I'd bring Lucas in the centre and protect both fullbacks from Sanchez and Cazorla. Firmino and Can are still being eased into match sharpness so expect the rest of the starters to be as last Monday. Our biggest weakness has been the left and I can see Arsenal overloading that side and overrunning Lovren and Gomez, it's just what Arsenal does and very well. With that in mind, Moreno's cameo run against Bournemouth may indicate he may play in front of Gomez from the start and offer a genuine, left-sided outlet when under pressure while protecting Gomez and also pressurise the right-back far more effectively than Ibe was able to do; it would be no shame to drop young Ibe to the bench, although the composition of the rest of bench will be very interesting.

We cannot certainly be any more incompetent in front of goal as in the similar fixture last season. Although in Benteke's last match Koscielny and Mertesacker he was effectively neutered ( Mertesacker even escaped him to score a header at a corner), I expect him to be more adventurous and also hope we do offer him more support than then. We just must.

Fussballer, liverbird, newterp and 3 others repped this.
  2. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Note: villa were horrible in the final so there is no point discussing the final

The real season begins here against a good side and will indicate how BR /team have improved from last season

I reckon Hendo will play some part, maybe a half to 60 & born again Lovren will be tested a bit

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    that's what I'd do. I agree with speke's point (the other day) about Bren being cautious at this point in the season so I hope our l-hand side gets attention. Moreno in front of Gomez would strengthen that side for sure. and I'd hate to see Gomez ripped by (say) Chamberlain at this stage of his development.

Moreno isn't Ibe, he doesn't have the skills or the tricks to beat a man, but his direct and fast runs into space would keep Arse's defenders pinned back.

4. Upper Ninety

Upper Ninety Member

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nothing wrong with defeat. It will not be easy at all to come out on top or a draw there. Just do t get embarrassed and play your assessment off with a respectable performance. The win comes as a bonus.

5. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Nice work on the thread start RB.

6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would be tempted to play all three of Can, Henderson and Milner in the centre of midfield. Bournemouth was over running us there and Arsenal could easily do the same.

If Ibe and Gomez are both gonna play they should have Ibe on the right - both on the same side is asking for trouble.

I do expect us to be fairly negative/cautious - which is a shame as they lack speed at the back and I would love to see us run at them.

I would imagine Brendan will want us to play a more counter attacking style - I just don't think it will work and Benteke will be too isolated as we draw back to defend. This will result in long balls to him and hopefully someone can get up and support - gonna be a long day if that's the case.

My prediction - a Lovren brainfart gives Giroud their only goal and we huff and puff but can't get the draw.

usscouse and poopoobigelow repped this.
  7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I'm still concerned about where our goals will come from. So far we have a late and unexpected goal from Phillipe and a jammy, offside poke in from Benteke.

That's not a confidence building start.

But then Owen Gole has been on form for the Arse!

8. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    i'll just leave this here:

what we'll play:

mignolet
    clyne.. skrtel.. lovren.. gomez
    henderson.. milner
    ibe.. coutinho.. lallana
    benteke

what i'd play:

mignolet
    clyne.. skrtel.. sakho.. moreno
    henderson.. can.. milner
    coutinho
    firmino.. benteke..​

hubbabubba, soccershaggy and newterp repped this.
  9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's the going prediction: a defensive lapse from either centre-half to be honest. If we can support Benteke, though, I think we can come back with something. We have to-- no need to buy a player of his type only to play him 30 to 40 yards ahead of his nearest team-mate. West Ham (admittedly much match-sharper on account of Europa Cup matches) beat Arsenal by doing simple things both on and off the ball, and we must strive to do just that.

10. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can certainly see Benteke causing them problems, but he definitely needs more than one man getting up and supporting him. If we are on the back foot then he is going to be isolated.

I would love to see us high press them as they are not that good at the back - once it gets to their midfield we are gonna struggle unless we have an extra body in there.

never walk alone TPK repped this.
  11. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    bear in mind, also, that arsenal aren't exactly flying themselves.

Wingtips1 and Suss repped this.
  12. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    sorry to intrude but today is Aug 20. is this game being played today?

imasyko repped this.
  13. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    'Ahem, mods pleased amend?

14. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I'd love to see Lovren binned from the squad, its hard to call for a change in the back 4 after 2 clean sheets, so I fully expect the see Rodgers stick with it. I'm more than happy to keep Moreno as far away from LB as possible in this one considering how they exposed him last time.

I think we look to be tight, dog it out and steal a goal on the counter or a set piece.

Firmino and Can come in for Ibe and Lallana. I'd be delighted with a 1-1.

15. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This could be a perfect time to start Firmino. After holding him back the first 2 games Arsenal won't know much about him. He is surely match fit by now and is good enough to be the difference in the match.

16. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer your lineup

CB-West repped this.
  17. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    I'd be tempted to play the same line up as the last game and maybe introduce Firmino later on...Arsenal are supposedly title contenders so they need to win this home game...makes it perfect for us with Benteke, lallana, milner and Hendo like to hog the ball

18. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    as you wish...

coachamurton repped this.
  19. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ibe is much more effective off the bench. I'd rather play Moreno on the wing, with Gomez behind him; Alby provides a good outlet and defensive support from a midfield position while Gomez gives us stability as a stay-at-home left back.

I really want to see Can or Milner glued to Cazorla. He makes Arsenal tick and is the best passer in the Premier League. Harry him and make him work for every touch. Up top, we all want to see Firmino from the opening whistle, but who knows if that'll happen. Benteke and Coutinho are forming a nice rapport. I like their chances of combining for a goal.

Playing the "What I'd Play" game...

Waffles
    Clyne Skrtel Lovren* Gomez
    Milner Can Henderson
    Coutinho Firmino
    Benteke

*only because he's got match fitness; who knows where Sakho's at

20. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    i don't think this nickname will take off like your 'buck' did, i'm afraid...

how about 'tomo'? or 'almo', which we morph into 'alamo'?

21. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'cept Milner has been promised he will play inside...

22. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The best subplot Monday is Lovren, asked to defend smart, shifty, quick attackers for the first time this season. If he's Regular Lovren, we are in trouble, he'll be found out quickly. If he's Lovren 2.0, it'll be visible, and encouraging.

I know BR loves him, and I'm fine with that, but having watched back the highlights from Monday and watching only Lovren, I'm really concerned. Arsene will tell Sanchez to run at him at every opportunity.

If we are going to be who BR wants us to be, we need exceptional play from one CB, and steady play from the other. Right now it feels like Skrtel is the steady one, and Lovren is the crappy one.

Prove us wrong, Dejan!

23. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    image1.jpg image2.jpg

Hard to make a case Ibe should keep his spot based on his influence in the Bournemouth game.

24. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In preseason, Clyne and Ibe played on the same side and seemed to play well together and both interchanged well down the wing. If Ibe is to play it needs to be on the right and not the left. He cut in and scored that beauty in preseason from that side and Clyne can overlap him too in that position.

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yep, Ibe replacing Lallana works for me. put Moreno out left to start, Bobby to sub-on when we need that vital goal for the 4-0 win. :)