Arsenal v Inter [R] Match Day 1

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DallasGooner, Sep 17, 2003.

1. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The PBP Thread starts here!

REFEREE
    Manuel Enrique Mejuto Gonzalez (Spain)

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    anyone think bergkamp is an easy selection to partner titi? im sure AW will put him in there but i was very un-impressed on Saturday~
    gimme SW11 and TH14 as the two strike partners!!!!come on arsene!!!!!

go gunners~

phishy

3. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  4. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My Sentiments Exactly

SW should start with Henry. DB is better at the end of the match, 10-15 minutes...I know it's hard to admit, but his speed is dwindling.

I'm predicting a 1-0 result for The Arsenal.

5. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    You may remember Manuel Enrique Mejuto Gonzalez from such games as Australia 3, England 1.

6. elvpak

elvpak New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    North London
    I think we should go with Wiltord up front as one thing we'll definately need against a defensive side is PACE. DB does have the ability to provide killer passes in matches like this, but he is more effective coming off the bench. A bigger dillema is whether to start with Toure or Keown alongside Sol.

7. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    might not be a popular opinion on these boards... but i go with KOLO TOURE at centre-half with SOL~ Keown's lack of pace scares the piss outta me.. especially if INTER goes with the two african forwards...

8. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Re: Re: Arsenal v Inter [R] Match Day 1

Damn, Dan! You talk about special powers. You're the only guy I know who has a tidbit on every official on the planet. THAT'S an impressive talent!

9. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I can't see why AW wouldn't start Toure. Even though he is young and new to the position he has more than enough speed to compensate for any small mistakes.

On the DB10 situation, my first instinct was that he would have a good game against his former club, but that's been so long ago that it probably is a non-issue. Wiltord would give us more firepower up front, but to break down what is surely to be a VERY defensive-minded team we need Dennis' inate ability to make passes to spots nobody else would even try.

10. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Dennis, when he had more speed.....and hair.
    ;)

11. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Toure over Keown. Good to have speed at the back four. Keown may be a better fit for the games with Dynamo Kiev and Lokomotiv Moscow as I'm presuming their forwards are not as fast.

12. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    DG, are you watching the match anywhere around here?

13. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My illness was cured when ESPN pulled the game so I am work, did not call around to see who was showing Sentana feed.

14. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I checked Sentana's site and they showed no D/FW pubs were carrying the match.

15. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    First, not sure if anyone else caught Dan's oh-so-subtle nod to the late, great Troy McLure with his, "You may know him from..." line. Bravo to you sir.

Now, the game. Do we go with inexperience (Toure) or a, um, ahem, lack of speed (Keown)? I think we're in trouble either way. This to me looks like the game where this defensive unit is exposed. I think Lauren and Cole will have to stay back to guard against Van der Meyde and Gonzalez and that will hurt our attack.

Up front, I don't think Wiltord and Henry together works. Now, Wiltord on the wing, that I don't mind. But DB10 could be useful here to unlock a tight defense.

Here's how I'd play it (just in case AW was wondering what to do):

Henry/DB10
    Pires/Gilberto/Vieira/Ljungberg
    Cole/Sol/coin toss/Lauren

I would take off DB10 at the 65 minute mark, and bring in Wiltord if we need offense. If we need defense, I would take of DB10 and bring in Parlour, move FL8 up.

16. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    Toure played well against Pompey...I'd take him over Martin (also, the aforementioned lack of pace).

Now, maybe this will be a factor and maybe it won't, but Italy's Serie A is only two matches in at this point...perhaps they won't be quite as sharp, having had less competitive matches. For the record, Inter is 2-0-0 (3 GF 0 GA), and coming off a dreary 1-0 road win against Siena (watched about 20 minutes of it...bored me to TEARS).

17. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Somebody at Trinity Hall told me over the phone that they'll be carrying both the Arsenal/Inter and Celtic/Bayern matches.

18. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    lineup

This is the lineup according to uefa.com:

1 Lehmann
    3 Ashley Cole
    4 Vieira
    7 Pires
    8 Ljungberg
    11 Wiltord
    12 Lauren
    14 Henry
    19 Gilberto
    23 Campbell
    28 Touré

and don't worry, Cygan and Kanu have made the bench to save us in case we need them:

33 Stack
    5 Keown
    10 Bergkamp
    15 Parlour
    17 Edu
    18 Cygan
    25 Kanu

have a good time guys and good luck. I'm off following the match on livetext (how depressing considering I could have been at my house with espn2 turned on right now if the idiots hadn't decided to change).

19. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    UGH!!!! What the f&&# happened to the match on espn2??????

I guess I've been out of the loop on this.... UGH!!!!!!!

20. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Anybody know if you can still get the UEFA Light and UEFA Full versions? I only see Light, which doesn't have stats. Am I missing something?

21. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, ESPN pulled it, put the Real game one. Sucks.

22. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Subs are:

Graham Stack
    Martin Keown
    Pascal Cygan
    Ray Parlour
    Edu
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Kanu

Only thing that suprised me is Graham Stack.

23. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Stack was on the subs bench for the Portsmouth game. No idea what's wrong with Taylor/Shaaban.

24. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    yeah, all I see is the light version.

25. ljunberg19

ljunberg19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Annapolis
    anyone know if there's any live commentary on this game?