Arsenal Summer USA 2005 tour?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by krause9, Nov 1, 2004.

1. krause9

krause9 New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    Are they coming next summer or what?

2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    negative.

at least I do not think they will and I do not think they should. As much as I would love to see them, Austria works well for them.

3. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I saw this thread and nearly had a heart attack. Why would they be coming here? Is there a rumor of such a trip? I thought AW liked going to Austria.

4. krause9

krause9 New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    What?? - look, the only reason I go to these Manchester United tours - it is my theory that the more people go to these games, the better chance Arsenal will come over. What do I have to do?

5. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence

Your theory is, unfortunately, wrong. Unless you are an event promoter with a few million to burn you will never have any influence on where Arsenal play their pre-season matches. Accept it and move on.

6. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    Doubtful, AW doesn't like to make long unnecessary trips. It would take either an S-load of money or to remove AW as manager for this to happen in the near future.

7. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    the more people the more teams fron Europe will come over, but not Arsenal

8. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not going to happen. Wenger won't do US or Far East - it's too far to travel.

Personally if it's done a little earlier that July I think they would have time to recover and see how many Americans they have as fans. Still it won't happen.

9. W26 D12 L0

W26 D12 L0 New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Miami
    Not gonna happen

Wenger likes Austria-Belgium because there is little distraction and the team can concentrate. I think he said this in an interview this past summer.

Although I would like to see them come over, I don't think it will benefit arsenal to play preseason in the champions series or whatever its called.

As for extra promotion/exposure I think they would benefite more from a short tour to asia rather than the states (like Real Madrid - they play 2 games in under a week)

10. bergkamp10

bergkamp10 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    These long trips can really take a toll on your top players. Look what happened to Totti in the Roma-Celtic game. He had to fly back to Rome and have knee surgery. Imagine if something similar happened to TH or PV?

I think in order for these Champions World Tours to be more equitable a greater number of teams must be signed to play fewer games. It seems like the only plausible way to ensure that the costs of marketing don't outweigh the benefits.

Arsenal could theoretically have a quick one-off game against a less intense rival. However, as you mentioned, this is not forseeable in the near future.

11. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought quite a few of the players took vacations in the US in recent years. So travel doesn't seem like too much of a problem. I know playing in our summer weather is generally worse than England or the usual European summer games. Blah...Blah..

Who am I kidding? I just want them to visit once so I can take all of my friends and family to a game and give them a taste of why I love the team.

12. gooner_913

gooner_913 New Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia
    might happen in the near future as emirates might like to get some exposure for houston, which is one of their few american gateways.

near future being sometime in the next five years

13. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. A little early for this thread this year isn't it?