Arsenal @ Man U [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DallasGooner, Sep 21, 2003.

1. AtherRC

AtherRC New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Lakewood, Colorado USA
    RVN's jump was clumsy, not mallicious. He got his deserved yellow for that. Why Viera lashed out, well, it's not beyond me. He was obviously worked up previous to that and RVN going for a piggy back ride was the last straw. He's lucky he didn't connect cuz surely the FA would frown upon that even more. [/QUOTE]

BS!! And I don't mean Big Soccer. Paddy kicked out at VanCheaterDiverScum because he sat on his back and kicked him in the ribs on his way down to the ground. Bet that's not going to be shown on Sky 500 times. Funny how the ref cautioned him so that the incident couldn't go to the FA Video Panel.

2. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    What a load of crap. In the NFL or NBA if a player got in someones face screaming like Keown was it would be a penalty or a technical foul. There is no room for this in the game, just as there is no room for teams surrounding the ref and screaming about a call (saw it yesterday in a Bundesliga game and reminded of Man United a few years ago). It sounds like Arsenal played a good game to pull out the point. It was nice to read this thread (it is on the main page when people add to it) and see people make some intelligent comments, I was expecting 100% "They cheated, we get screwed every time." Those of you who made objective comments I salute you as well as your team for todays performance. We'll see you in the spring, keep winning so that it will be a clash for the title.

3. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT

I noticed that. And keep this in mind-the lino called Bennett over to let him know to book RVN. And that is at least the second time already this year that a lino has done that. It is as if they are watching for incidents to call the referee's attention to them so the FA can say the ref dealt with it so we can't. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.........

4. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    RVN was yellow carded for dissent, not for kicking Paddy.

5. soccerchick584

soccerchick584 New Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Tennessee
    Great game, boys, great game. And what the crap is RVN's problem? Was he BORN to screw up against Arsenal? I'm not complaining though. Quite funny actually. The little *#*#*# did jump all over Vieira and the referee did make the wrong call. But I'm happy with the result, and we're back at the top!

6. SouthLondonYank

SouthLondonYank New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    South London
    First off - I am a neutral

But I want to ask you lot a simple question - were you happy with the way Arsenal performed today?

The last ten minutes of "excitement" aside - I thought neither side played particularly good football today - but the tone on this thread seems to be relatively happy with the lads performance today

With the exception of two or three spells United dominated possession but their passing and crossing in the final third let them down. Had RVN not missed a sitter in the first half we might not be even having these discussions now

I just expected more from Arsenal. Remember the last time you went visited OT - in the FA cup - you dominated possession and played United off the park - this time around against a notably inferior United squad (the current Man U side has no playmaker that was obvious today - the Ronaldo lad needs to learn what to do after he's done tripping over himself with his cross-overs) you couldn't control the ball?

I thought it was a boring and dissappointing football match, quite frankly it capped off a rather boring and disappointing weekend of matches.

The exception being the lads from the West End -

If today's performances are the best the Premiership's heavyweights have to offer than it will be another miserable run in Europe again for English squads - today Arsenal looked like a typical Italian team - playing way behind the ball looking for the counter-attack with the trap set at least 25 yards off the line - stick to that and you'll end up off the top of the table and out of Europe very quickly

What did you think of the game, not the fracas?

7. soccerchick584

Jul 28, 2003
    Tennessee
    I just got back from the Man United forums (to see what they had to say about their star player missing the easiest shot in football) and they said that there were 4 Arsenal players that punched Ruud after the game. Is this true? I must have missed this. But who was it and what exactly happened?

8. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT

9. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    are you being serious coach? that kind of mercy would require the men of the FA to have what i like to call a "soul". without these "souls" they have neither the ability to see from another's perspecitve, nor to show that person mercy. the other downside is that without a soul, there will be nothing to burn for eternity in hell.

10. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    Here's a good one-why on earth did Bennett whisle play dead in the middle of a break for us because Fortune was down, but when we down to 10 men and Cole was lying hurt he let play go on deep in our half. I have my opinion since Bennett was the same referee who let VanNistlerooy go on and score while Legwinski lay bleeding from an elbow by VanNistlerooy last year against Fulham. Any ManU supporters on the board visiting feel free to help me understand...

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Are you insane??? It might draw a technical in college, but take a look at what Kevin Garnett does every time he dunks on somebody. Watch an NFL game and see any number of defensive backs let receivers know that they hurt them with a hit by getting in their face. They're PROFESSIONALS! The get EMOTIONAL! Sure, it seems to you it was uncalled for, because it was your thespian who just missed his penalty. If the tables were truned and Henry had missed, you don't think manUre were gonna' let him know about it?

And another thing: take a look at the photo of RvN. Notice that he's already CELEBRATING?? As if it's already in the net?? He jumped the gun and was already singing his own praises. He can't handle a little stick from Keown??

If the manUre fans are so offended by what Keown did, I suggest following figure skating so you don't get your delicate feelings ruffled by those "ruffians on the other team".

And what on God's green Earth did you expect from this match?? Every Arsenal-manUre fixture for 5 straight years has been one hard foul after another. Hell, just look at the Charity Shield match. It was all but an exhibition and these two teams contested every ball and went full speed into every tackle like it was a Cup final.

You guys should just admit that you're pi**ed off because RvN missed a penalty, and you had already started celebrating yourself.

I can't wait for the return at Highbury in the Spring.

12. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    Guys, you really have to control this paranoia or the world really will turn against you!

Vieira had to be sent off. You can't kick out a players like that under the nose of the ref and get away with it. Of course it didn't connect. But it was INTENDED to connect and that's the point. He'd already been booked for persistent fouling - that's the third time you could see the ref saying as he booked him the first time and he had no choice but to send him off.

It's garbage to say that RvN exaggerated the kick. He did absolutely nothing but move away from the kick - didn't dive, didn't pretend there was contact. He moved away from Vieira's kick with his arms apart saying "hey what's going on here". Perfectly rational reaction when someone aims a kick at you as Vieira clearly did. It ain't part of the game and RvN's challenge had been very clumsy not deliberate. You're merely tryng to excuse Vieira's stupid response when you say he stamped him. They both fell to the ground and RvN was on top. Nothing more than that.

It's all just part of this paranoid denial.

Keown's behaviour at the end was out of a sense of relief. It was a stupid foul that led to the penalty. Forlan was never going to get to the ball and it was idiotic to push him. I'll bet as RvN stepped up to take the penalty Keown was feeling a right idiot thinking he'd given the game away after an otherwise excellent performance. I suspect there were enormous feelings of relief when RvN hit the bar.

But that doesn't excuse his behaviour after the whistle and it certainly doesn't excuse that of other players. What we got there was out of control emotion and Wenger really has to deal with that - because the FA will when they see the tape! Wenger has got to do something about this behaviour or you'll be seeing a lot more red cards before the season is through. Wenger is not doing his players any favours by his present denial.

As for the game itself - great game proving a 0-0 draw doesn't have to be a bore. Arsenal defended very well but their attacking play was disappointing. Utd have a superb defence this season - 2 goals conceded in 7 games (including CL) so far and I don't think Howard had any sort of shot to save at all in this match. Against a team with Arsenal's attacking ability that was a terrific defensive performance as well.

Utd though have lost much of their attacking flair with the loss of Beckham, Veron and the injured Scholes. They really did need Ronaldinho and, though Ronaldo shows enormous promise, it'll be a while before his tricks turn into assists. RvN missed an easy header and Henry should not have been called offside. A pity for both, either being a goal may well have fired up the attacking instincts of both sides.

Pity the aggro took over the match but can't wait for the return. However Foxtel are about to replay the match in half and hour and I'm off to enjoy it all over again :)

13. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    NY Gooners, I just want to say what a great time at Nevada Smith's today! It has been since last season that I've been down, and the contingent was strong today, and great fun. Listening to Spurs supporters lead ManUre's in song all match? Bizarre. Watching all those cocky Reds sulk on to 3rd while we sang them out? Priceless!

14. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO

McG you are biggest loser on this board, try reading the things written by your fellow Arsenal fans, they actually showed some class. Show me video of KG dunking running up to his opponent and screaming full out directly in his face. You can't, because he yells into the crowd. Just watched the highlights and that phot of Ruud "celebrating" well that was his follow-through. Watch the highlights and you'll see it as well, but that wouldn't suit your way of thinking would it?!?!?! I suppose it was ok for Keown to leap into the air after the final whistle and land a foreare/elbow on the back of Ruuds head. Don't talk sh!t until you actually watch the highlights, FSW showed them real nice. You are just a no class loser who should be an embarrasment to his fellow Arsenal fans. if you are a coach I can only imagine what a group of thugs your team is!

15. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    My God, you're right! What a thug I must be. To think that I'd accept any yelling, screaming, showing of emotion, etc. I guess just have no class.

Have you ever even watched all the trash that goes on in an average NBA game? NFL games are a million times worse than that. My whole point, you idiot, is that these are PAID PROFESSIONALS. This isn't anything they are doing for a hobby, it's there job.

And that's RvN's follow through? No wonder he missed the kick. He looks like he's trying to reach take-off velocity with his wings spread out like that.

Let's clear this up:

1. Viera deserved the card for retaliation. Even if he had gotten whacked by RvN, he kicked out.

2. Keown was probably already figuring out how to take the blame for the loss, so when the kick hit the wood, I can understand his excitement.

3. Arsenal got a draw at OT. Maybe that's what REALLY pisses you and your manc buddies off.

And why would I need to watch the highlights when I WATCHED THE MATCH????

Well, I'm off to be an embarrassment to my Gooner pals, and perhaps show my son's U-6 team how to cause a post match ruckus.

16. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Stop being such a tool. You actually saw the *highlights*?! Then you *must* be qualified to talk about the game (like you did before you actually saw what you were commenting about).

The subject is sportsmanship, and I saw in another thread that you're an athlete and a coach. Yet the way you conduct yourself here, with the trolling and the name calling, makes me wonder what kind of sportsmanship you're teaching your team.

Anxiously awaiting reading your comments of outrage regarding Fergusmoan's misconduct charge. Also, I noticed that seeing Eric Cantona play is what inspired you to choose the team you support. I don't know how to tell you this, but once upon a time, Eric Cantona acted like a very bad sport. But it happened pre-1996, so you might have to dig to find out the details.

17. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I take back what I said about the Avs, Dan.

*L*

Back to work on my new program: "Training the U-6 Football Thug".

18. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    definitely wearing my arsenal jersey to class tomorrow. the funny thing is i am in this small ass louisiana town and there is a brit who is a sp*rs fan in my 10'oclock class. and the other day i passed a wanker in his manure jersey and hair that had a worse dye job than baby ronaldo's. want to rub it in both their faces how proud i am of our boys

19. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    oh yeh and if anyone missed this hilarious news, hoddle was sacked by spurs tonight. hahaha. day o' fun continues through the night

20. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A great match yesterday, the manager got it spot on in terms of tactics and personnel. We needed to get at least a draw fter two disappointing results and he picked a team to do it. For those of you criticising Parlour and Bergkamp you have no clue. Parlour was picked because of his better defensive qualities than Pires, who is going through a dip in form at the moment. Bergkamp was picked because when he gets the ball he can control it and actually pass to a team mate which Wiltord sadly can't.

Vieira was an idiot to get himself sent off. I've been watching Sky Sports news this morning and it's almost entirely about the match. Wenger has even said that he shouldn't have reacted. He knew he was on a yellow card and should have kept his discipline. Vieira has said he'll appeal against the sending off. No chance of getting that one overturned, although I don't think he deserved the first yellow card he got. The best you can say about it is that he was lucky he didn't get a straight red for violent conduct and will probably only get a one match ban rather than three.

As for the antics at the end, I don't think it was a penalty, although the lack of a really good replay angle doesn't help clear it up one way or the other. Keown was winding up Van Nistelrooy, no more, no less. He didn't lay a finger on RVN, so I don't know why people are having a go at him. Lauren shouldn't have gone up and pushed RVN in the back at the end, that was stupid and I'm sure the FA will take a dim view of that incident. Before the game someone wound the team up for this one and it showed. Great togethernees and spirit from Lehmann forward. I'm beginning to like our new keeper, a bit of a nut, but he'll be good entertainment.

21. soccerchick584

Jul 28, 2003
    Tennessee
    Okay, if there's an award for making the biggest deal about absolutely nothing, Man Utd win it straight away. I saw the so-called "punching" on SkySportsNews. There was absolutely no punching. The most he got was a push. And he deserved it. He would have deserved getting punched. I actually would have enjoyed it.

22. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Unbelievable...I tape the match and the tape ends two minutes from time. Clearly the best two minutes were unrecorded!! If anyone's seen a link of the foul, PK and subsequent handbags-at-ten-paces I'd be much obliged.

I did see the Viera-VanDiveroy incident though: Rude stamps on Patrick's back on the way down. Viera looks over and lashes out. Rude jumps out of the way avoiding his boot and looks to the ref in horror, HORROR! at this criminal act. Unfortunately for Paddy, the ref had a clear view of the whole incident and Ruuds reaction was immaterial. Clearly a boneheaded move by Patrick, wound up by the biggest tool in the Premiership.

Gotta agree about Lehmann. You never know what's going to happen when that guy is on the move. He flailed at several crosses yesterday, blew his top at the sending off, then apparantly gave quite a display before the PK. Mr. Unpredictability.

Can I ask Gooners out there - has Rude surpassed Keane as our most despised Manc? Keane was actually trying to calm Paddy down after all of that, like a couple of old warriors or something. Wierd...

23. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    The thing about Keane is although he is (possibly has been, the jury is still out) a nasty piece of work. You would secretly have to admit that he is a fantastic player who you would love to have on your side.

van Nistelrooy on the other hand, cheats to such a degree that you just simply don't want him anywhere near you club. He gets off very lightly, it's unbelievable that he has managed as yet to stay well clear of media witch-hunt. Look at how Pires has been treated for one or two indiscretions and compare that to VAST number of incidents that van Nistelrooy has been responsible for.

Ask any Ipswich fan what they think of him after he RELEGATED them with one of most blatant dives you'll see anywhere.

He has been public enemy numero uno for a long-long time.

24. Eindhovuh

Eindhovuh New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Holland
    What're all those Arsenal fans talking about? What did Ruud do wrong. He didn't dive or something. Only those Arsenal players were pushing.

25. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I query the logic of the F.A. appointing the same referee after doing the "Community Shield" only one month earlier. He sent off Jeffers (rightly so) and effectively "sent off" Campbell post-match via the F.A. Disciplinary Committee. And now Vieira. 3 Arsenal players in 2 games. Surely they could have found someone else.
    All that without even querying his decisions during this game, of which there are more than a few. Will he be "disciplined" for a poor performance? I doubt it.