Arsenal-Man City (R) Carling Cup Pre/Dur/Post Match Thoughts

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ibreak4coffee, Oct 25, 2004.

1. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So the Man U debacle is over with, and the Gunners start their Carling Cup campaign against the other team from Manchester on Wednesday. I predict a comfortable 2-0 victory.

Anyone heard any news on the possible squad? I hope that Henry, Ljungberg, Pires, Vieria, and others get some well deserved rest, and I am excited at the prospect of getting a good look at Van Persie and others for the first time.

2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I hope Citeh plays some youngsters too because if they do not it might be trouble.

1-0 to the Arsenal

3. sienna

sienna Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Malaysia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't think it'll be easy for us. If City put out a strong team they have a strong chance of winning it. Anyway looking forward to watching the young Gunners especially Van Persie. Who will play at left back? Clichy is stil injured so maybe Karbasiyoon?

4. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    I'm particularly interested in getting a look at Van Persie. Wegner's transfer record simply speaks for itself and that bodes well for the young man. Perhaps another deep trip into the Carling Cup can produce him as another Cesc who will be an important squad player next season.
    Pennant also obviously needs to produce. His current playing options are a bit stifled due to Reyes, Pires, and Ljunberg all being in front of him, but if either Pennant or Van Persie seriously impress it might give Wegner the confidence to move Ljunberg/Pires at the end of the season and incorporate one of the younger ones into that role.

5. Arsu86

Arsu86 New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Finland
    This is my lineup:

Almunia
    Hoyte-Senderos-Cygan-Clichy
    Pennant-Larsson-Flamini-Smith
    Lupoli- van Persie

Subs:Taylor,Gilbert,Quincy,Cregg, Stokes.

does anyone know where i can watch the game online?

6. mtl_gunner

mtl_gunner New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Montreal
    I'm sure that City will play their best 11 and given that we just about managed a 1-0 win there last month this is going to be tough. It'll be interesting to see the team as Wenger has always said he chooses a team that has a chance to win. So I think that means a start for the likes of Cesc, Van Persie, Flamini but we may also have 2 or 3 of the first choice 11 to add a bit of experience. A draw would be a good result. I'm not certain but I don't think there are replays but PK's are used to decide the result

7. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think a few regulars need to play, especially since I dont expect Man City to come at us with the b-team. I suggest

Almunia
    Senderos-Campbell-Cygan-Hoyte (Clichy is injured no?)
    Pennant-Fabregas-Edu-Pires
    Reyes-Van Persie

8. Arsu86

Arsu86 New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Finland

Yeah,Clichy got an ankle injury in the internationals but i hope he will be okay.
    I think Reyes must rest and also Campbell. And I think That both Cesc and Edu must Rest when Gilberto is out.

9. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hope Arsene and the rest of the boys don't underestimate this match, 'cause of they do, I think we'll have our hands full. With that said I'm excited to see some of the younger guys get some experience, and at this point our first-teamers need a rest. 2-nil to the Arsenal!

10. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    There is no shortage of young players who I'd like to see get a run out during the Carling Cup. In fact, the main reason for me (and I'd assume most people) rooting for them to progress in the Carling Cup is to get an opporunity to see how the younger players do. I'd rather see a team who'd value the Cup win it in the end (like Middlesborough last year).

Ok, I take that back. It's silverware, it counts, and I'll act like it is a big deal if we win it.

11. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    anyone know what kind of lineup Citeh will field? I figure it will not be a B-team, but I'm sure if will have a few youngsters. Any Citeh fans lurking around with a projected lineup?

12. Arsu86

Arsu86 New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Finland

I'm sure they will play their best eleven. CC is their only chance of winning something.

13. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    true

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They may be forced to field SWP's brother Bradley or Brandon? and SWP in a more attacking role as their starting forwards took knocks in their loss this weekend. However, its likely that with 1 or 2 exceptions outside of the frontline (rest for certain players), it will be a first XI.

15. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm going with a 1-1 draw prediction. Citeh will be gunning for us and honestly I know we have bigger fish to fry.

Oh well.

Up THE ARSENAL!!!!

16. bergkamp10

bergkamp10 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
  17. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    kids should impress.. i dont want to see one regular in this match.. let the reserves throttle man citeh's first team~

18. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If Citeh put out their first team I'd expect us to lose. They played a virtual reserve team in the last round, but against one of the big guns I'm sure Keegan will take it a bit more seriously.

I expect to see:

Aluminium
    Hoyte-Senderos-Cygan-Clichy (injury permitting)
    Pennant-Fabregas-Flamini-Smith
    Lupoli-van Persie

Players on the fringes of the first team (Cygan, Pennant, van Persie, Flamini) could do with the game to keep them sharp. I'm looking forward to seeing Lupoli in action, he's apparently been scoring for fun in the reserves. Be good to see van Persie get 90 minutes too.

19. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    catfish, its a Cup match, it can't end in a draw, at least I don't think it can. I thought last year we beat Rotterham in a shootout in out first CC game.

20. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  21. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Correct, last year even the goalies took penalties as it ended up 9-8 IIRC.

22. Suckafree

Suckafree Member

Sep 16, 2002
    B-Town
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Arsu86

Arsu86 New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Finland
    Does anyone know where i can watch the game online???

24. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There is a radio link posted, but I don't think there will be anywhere to watch the match. I just checked and it's not even on soccerstreams, so I think were SOL.

25. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    ya michaec... they will play their fit starting XI~
    at any rate, i think our youth is better.. period.. or if not.. so be it, we get knocked out of this competition.... id love to see the young lads have the pressure on them and say "go on lads, win it for us"