Arsenal consider selling henry!!!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bigtimebuck4, Feb 3, 2007.

1. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Arsenal consider seling henry!!!

OK, I'll bite.

Don't know how reputable a source Goal.com is but...

A year or two ago I thought Arsenal had become too dependent on Henry and that other players didn't step up well enough in his absence back then, e.g. RVP, JAR.

But this year it appears that we are NOT too dependent. Ade and especially RVP have indeed stepped it up when TH was on sabbatical. And Bap has been showing more promise lately as a striker. Most importantly we won many games without him.

I wasn't too worried last spring/summer when TH14 was thinking of leaving. And I wouldn't be too worried if he split this summer. Yes he's a goal scoring legend at the club, but his departure would upset me less than DB10's retirement.

Wenger has assembled a great squad on the relative cheap. If we cashed in on Henry and then focused on strengthening our strike force via acquisition I think we could be even stronger.

I know this is near blasphemy but this is how I feel. :eek: Sorry Theirry.

3. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Henry is irreplaceable.

4. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Klaus is a moron, who believes only what he reads in the New York Post..."

5. Realwood

Realwood Member

Feb 11, 2004
    FC Dallas, Tucson

Unlike Paddy, who I love to death, Henry is the glue of this club. If the cornerstone goes, the house will fall apart. Young players come to this club because of Thierry Henry. It's true that no player is bigger than the club, but Henry would be the first of many players that would leave IMO, and we'd be screwed.

Cesc wants to play with Henry.
    Toure wants to play with Henry.
    Gallas wants to play with Henry.
    RvP wants to play with Henry.
    Adebayor wants to play with Henry.
    Theo wants to play with Henry.
    etc. etc.

Hopefully this story if BS, if we do sell Henry, I'll began to believe that the club is close to broke.

He needs to be our next DB10, Arsenal to the END!!!

6. ASkergonan

ASkergonan New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    pdx- st. johns

ditto.

7. Smalls123

Smalls123 Member

Feb 1, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Figures something like this will happen...I just bought an henry kit last week

8. akofman12345

akofman12345 New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    San Jose

order of the love's of my life.

1. Family
    1a. Thierry Henry.

I could never imagine Arsenal without Henry, and when that day comes, it will seriously be hard to take. I never thought for a second that he was leaving last year, just a feeling. I hope he gives it another 4-5 years at Arsenal.

9. Naushad78

Naushad78 New Member

Jul 14, 2006

Ribery wants to play with Henry :)

10. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK, finally found the source of this: Sunday Express and Daily Star (according to the BBC gossip column)

I'm not familar with those papers, but looking at their Web sites (which appear to be the same), it looks like they are not very reputable sources?

11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

lol @ this and people already signaling he is leaving... its The Sun... he not leaving...

12. saba

saba New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Tralfmadore

Why would TH14 want to leave one of the most promising young teams in all of Europe to go through the drama of Madrid? Or Frank Rijkaard leaving for the seri A with Milan or Inter?

Of all the summers of TH14 gossip I think this is the summer we need to worry least

13. gooner4eva

gooner4eva New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Bangor University

if were reluctant to sell aliadiere
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?...enger+-+Aliadiere+nearly+joined+Middlesbrough

why would we be so keen to sell henry,

wenger says he want to keep the same bunch of players togethere for as long as possible, and its just not in arsenals style to take money when there is no clear replacement. (we cant build a footballer out of bank notes).
    besides all that henry is the captain and wenger knows it would be ludicrous to sell the best player on the team, and the leader of the team.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually I think Wenger is FAR more important to the club... attracting new/young talent... glueing them together... etc.

All those players that you mentioned, sure they want to play w/ TH14 but I think that more importantly they want to play the Wenger system of beautiful football. I've heard more than a few of them say this in interviews.

I honestly think the club would survive & thrive without Henry, with much less "discontinuity" than if Wenger were to leave.

Hmm... I seem to be the only Gooner on BS who holds this view. :rolleyes:

15. Sannei

Sannei New Member

Jul 31, 2006

No you aren't the only Gooner as I also think that Wenger is far more important to this club than Henry could ever be. He's the main reason for this club's progress, the titles, the way we play, the teams we build, new stadium etc. It's all down to his vision, so to say that if Henry goes, everything would suddenly be ruined is frankly off the mark for me.

As for the players - I think RVP came to play for Arsenal football club, the club attracted him, there are pictures of him in an Arsenal shirt, in a room full of Arsenal posters as a young boy for goodness sake. Also, according to Cesc, Wenger is one of the most important people he's met in his career and has been instrumental in his progress. Sure some players want to play with Henry, but there are also others who want to play for Arsenal and/or Wenger.

16. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Nov 24, 2006
    London

Comon guys, it's just tabloid dream talk coz they're bored. Why would the board offer him a 100k+ 5 year contract then the following season consider selling him?

It's just crap. Next.

17. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Why would they sell him for a lowly figure like 25m?

The revenues henry bring to the team is probably worth more than that a year. Henry is to Arsenal what Ronaldinho is to barcelona. He is the pin that holds everything together, and there is no way wenger would consider selling henry.

The only time henry would leave is if he wanted to, and he made it quite clear both on and off the pitch that he wants to see out his career here.

Why would he go to the quagmire in madrid, or to a team that plays 1 striker and already has eto'o, and does not suit his style of play?(ronaldinho+eto'o in one).

18. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT

Yes lots of 15-to-17 year-olds want to be at Arsenal judging by our transfer policy the past several years. I agree Wenger is extermely important but slling Henry after selling Vieira and other sales raise serious questions about our club's genuine ambtition - not just to supporters but to players at Arsenal and players who may consider coming to Arsenal. Are there some who would come anyway to play for Arsenal? Surely. But are they players good enough for Wenger? Are there some who would come anyway to play for Wenger? Absolutely? But are they ready to play at the level required to keep Arsenal at the level we have been at?

I just think we cannot constantly look to cash in when that may not be in the club's best interest simply because its how we've always done business. Henry is far more valuable than that. Look on Ebay how many HENRY 14 shirts are on sale. That telles you how many more shirts and other marketing items he sells beyond the revenue he generates on the pitch. If that revenue isn't worth holding onto something is very wrong with the club's finances. Maybe we should look to outside investment.

19. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON

Rubbish

20. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005

As is the rumor starting the thread, no?

21. Sannei

Sannei New Member

Jul 31, 2006

I don't get this, wasn't Viera sold because Wenger felt that it was time for him to be removed from the side and moved on? That Arsenal had got the best out of him. It had nothing to with ambition, but more to do with Wenger's own vision and future of the team, for him Viera was no longer a required component for his side and could leave. It wasn't even anything to do with needing the money because unless I'm mistaken, Juventus still owe us for that transaction.

Some may or may not like it, but it's the way Wenger works, letting players go, if he thinks they are hindering the side or no longer capable of playing their best for us etc. The team comes and should always do before any one player, no matter who they are. If Henry goes (and it is a big IF at this point) then I would have to think there woudl be a lot more to it than money and low the ambitions of the club.

Sooner or later he will leave and the club would be better off in the long run if we had a sucessful and great team that brought in the revenue. If that can be acheived with Henry in the side, then great, if not I'm sure Wenger will take steps to remedy that.

And yet, if Guillem Balague (a Spanish journalist) is to be believed Barcelona may not renew Ronaldinho's contract.

22. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I think the rumors are rubbish. And Henry has said in far more convincing terms than Vieira or even Reyes ever did that he wants to stay. He's seen Wenger not sign 2 year deals for Bergkamp and Pires. Wenger's not going to change that course now.

But no one is irreplaceable. As it is, Wenger and then Cesc are more important to the team than Henry.

23. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT

I don't buy that we didn't need Vieira or at least Edu. For everything Cesc has to offer he is not up to the physical demands of Premier League Football, especially aginst the likes of Bolton or Sheffield United. He nneds a partner to deal some punishment out or we need three in the middle if Cesc is to be fully effective going forward without weakening us defensively. He is still only 19 and isn't very big and won't get much bigger. That is not his fault, just the way it is. And its being used against us too often now. And worse we are so thin at central midfielder he's being played into the ground, which makes him even less effective.

So selling Vieira and letting Edu go at the same time was a real mistake that has had serious consequences. It is not that Cesc isn't good enough as much as we give up too much having him out there in this team with just two central midfielders.

The problem there is what did Wenger do when we sold Vieira. He only brought in Diaby who is not where Vieira was at this point in his career, even before his injury, and he brought him in in January, when we were already well beaten and struggling just for fourth. So I'm not as confident now that Wenger can remedy it or will. Before the new ground I was absolutely confident in such instances. But right now I'm not sure the club has the money or the will to spend it

He is not.

24. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT

I hope you are right about the rumors being just that. But Cesc more important than Henry? Please. I did an unscientific survey at Ebay of how many different players had shirts being auctioned there. There 123 for 12 different players. 55 of them were HENRY 14 shirts(including the long-sleeved home jersey I bought as a tribute to the win over Man U). That's nearly half.

In other words even beyond the fact that Henry is our best player likely to be top goal-scorer again for us and maybe the premiership despite missing an even bigger portion of this season than last, the fact that without his goals in January we'd be in fifth battling Pompey for sixth rather than haing a real shot at third and pssibly second still, Henry generates so much revenue for Arsenal and has woin so much more silverware as well.

Cesc has maybe five Premiership goals in three seasons now, and has yet to create enough goals to offset the lack of goals scored, and is a liability in the middle of the park defensively too often because of his youth and lack of size. I just think saying cesc is more important than henry is a shaky claim to make.

25. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT

Don't get me wrong, Cesc is a brilliant player but I'm not sure he fits into Arsenal under Arsene Wenger's 4-4-2. Sort of like Dwayne Jarrett ending up at a school that runs the wishbone!