Arsenal Calling Stan Kroenke

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Paul Berry, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. JD__

JD__ New Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What do Colorado Rapids fans think of Stan Kroenke? Arsenal fan here trying to find out. Thanks.

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we can tell you what St. Louis thinks of Stan Kroenke.

He's considered a traitor there, and is no longer welcome in his home state of Missouri.

4. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    IMHO Wenger shouldn't be on that sign, and if he wasn't Kroenke's name could be larger. ;>)

Three points yesterday, Everton 0 - 2 Arsenal.

5. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We think he has been the main hold back to the club basically since he bought them. Although, after 2 unreal bad seasons KSE (biz entity that owns Rapids) seems to be spending money now.

jayd8888 and Jimmydinho repped this.
  6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    It's not just Rapids fans, though. Kroenke also owns the NBA team (Nuggets) and NHL team (Avalanche) here. I'd have to think those fanbases are critical of Kroenke ownership.

Not sure if "ND__" is English or not. If English (and if less familiar with the ways of US pro sports), it might help to know that no US sports teams are run like the typical Premier league team (much less clubs like ManCity or Chelsea). They're businesses here, and even if they're not the usual "profit maximizing" concerns, no one is ok with losing tens of millions in a year. So all US sports leagues have cost controls on player salaries to make it easier to keep the books at least close to even.

However, even in that context, the fanbases of Kroenke's teams tend to see ownership as indifferent, cheap, mainly interested in the team as an investment or real estate anchor, etc.

7. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait for him to die, and I'll be first in line to piss on his gravestone.

jayd8888 repped this.
  8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    So somewhat negative then?

IndyRapids04 repped this.
  9. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    [​IMG]

22SteveD, COMtnGuy, Stuart95 and 5 others repped this.
  10. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

Sweet user name.

I hope he buys Real Salt Lake.

I can only wish him on my enemies.

Stuart95 repped this.
  11. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Um ... and Tottenham then.

12. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    One thing I like about Kronke, he's does not hit tax payers up too much for stadiums. I guess he tried in St. Louis, but the LA thing is more self-funded. And the NHL/NBA arena in Denver was private, I'm not sure about Dick's, but I don't think it was too bad; and Arsenal's was self-funded (though that might have been before Kronke got there and Europe is different).

This is an interesting thread. The Rapids seem to have been poorly run, passive about underperforming coaches and players, and slow to embrace MLS move to marketing to millennials instead of bored soccer family's. That's my perception. I sum it up with the packets of flour that were the give away at the last game last season. Flour? Sure, I have 3 kids and cook at home a lot, but I'm not your target demographic, am I?

13. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Hope you didn't cook with those, that was marble dust for lining your own backyard pitch? JK

AlbertCamus repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the DSG Park FAQ:

http://www.dickssportinggoodspark.com/fan-guide/stadium-information/faqs/

Commerce City also got a new city hall and other government offices as part of the deal so they weren't paying just for a billionaire's stadium.

15. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    In the hitting up municipalities for money dept, there's the Sky Sox. If they can finagle a stadium from San Antonio (who is apparently yearning to look big league, or at least bigger league), they're gone.

16. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    If they had marble in it I'm suing!

Dom. FC repped this.
  17. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A decent argument could be made that the stadium complex was key to convincing many of the Northfield businesses to venture into the area. For all the past negativity about "Combat City" and the toxic waste site and refineries, there are a lot of positive things happening right now in Commerce City.

JasonMa and jimijam28 repped this.
  18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Stapleton redevelopment had much more to do with it.