Arsenal at Manchester City, October 17, 2020 (EPL)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalMetro, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

He's doing great, we aren't getting battered against these teams anymore. A lot more competitive.

2. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Defence had to be sorted. Can't be concerning 3 goals to relegation fodder and call yourself a top 6 club. I would have like 1 point from last season's 1+2 but I'll be much more concerned about the rest of the games this season.

Shen-O repped this.
  3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For all our lamentations about how anemic Arsenal looked they also put themselves in position to draw with a team projected by many to win the league and which has a more settled roster than Arsenal. If Arsenal play this way against lesser teams and struggle to win then I'll gripe, but if they beat the teams that they're "supposed to" and are playing the title challengers close then I'd consider that overall progress.

Silva 5, daedalus, maskito and 1 other person repped this.
  4. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had some good moments. It’s going to take awhile for us to jibe. I think the international break kinda didn’t give us lots of time to acclimate. With time, I think we’ll get better.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #80 NorthBank, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    This. There was one moment where he tracked back like a bull dog, harassing Bernardo(?) so that he coughed it up. Clearly Arteta's pleas to Nicolas are having some positive effect, plus the coaching of his defensive side. But still, in terms of his overall contribution, he's not where most of us expected him to be when we signed him.

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Saka showed also why I identified him as a lcm that goes wide for the future

He worked that half space well

...........::auba
    Martinelli........Pepe
    .......saka......partey
    ............el neney
    Tierney.. gab..holding...bellerin
    ..........::....Leno

could be worth trying

7. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like where you're going, but I would have Partey be the deepest because I think he'll be able connect those lines.

---saka------ceballos---
    ----------partey------------

ceballos also excels in the half spaces. Those two together could potentially drag the oppositions center mids wide creating space for Partey to surge though.

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I’m not gonna go into a Martinez/Leno wear again, but Martinez has stronger hands than Leno and commands that defense better. We all saw that.

I don’t know or care which one is better because Martinez is gone, but Leno is not “easily superior.” No even close to that.

daedalus and thebigman repped this.
  9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    partey is b2b

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where I'm at. It's a long term project; Step one was making us hard to beat, and for the most part that's been done. We're a tougher, more disciplined team now. There's a lot of work yet to do, but at least this team isn't a porous pushover.

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The game should’ve been 1-1 but we missed 2 easy chances

we played well defensively but our attack wasn’t very fluid as we didn’t over commit

I expect we better the smaller teams this year and challenge the big sides

12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    :ROFLMAO:

Shen-O repped this.
  13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few people on Twitter have already started calling him Mikel Simeone. They're now blocked. An example of why we can't have nice things.

mebeSajid and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I have a feeling Willian is going to be a waste of money. I get the idea of having an experienced competitor like Perisic at Bayern - but on the other hand it feels quite a strange move

Tonerl and casoccerdad47 repped this.
  15. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    I was disappointed with our performance, we didn't really put them under much pressure and I think City could have gone up another couple of gears if they'd needed to. Leeds drew with them and Leicester battered them, I thought we could have done better.

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Indeed the traditional way to win the premium league is to hold your own against the top 4 or some competitors and trash the bottom 15 sides. Recent 90-100 point hauls may not prove to be the norm

17. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    If they do have another gear they could have employed against Arsenal, where was it against Leeds and Leicester? Obviously they are a more fluid team when De Bruyne plays, but he did play in the Leeds and Leicester games. They may miss Silva. Pep is trying to blend in a lot of new parts and this may be who they are for a while. It’s unfortunate that Arsenal couldn’t take advantage of it.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arteta took over without a preseason and had to deal with a pandemic. The people getting worked up need to learn patience.