Arsenal at Manchester City, October 17, 2020 (EPL)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalMetro, Oct 14, 2020.

1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    how so? Martinez is much better in the air and at kicking and made as good reflex saves

Leno is t great

DaPrince84 and super gooner repped this.
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Right at the start of the 2nd half Pepe lands from a header and might have hurt his rt knee.

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Emi's handling is abysmal.

Don't think his decision-making in terms of when to close down/come out is anywhere near as good either.

There are a lot of reasons he didn't manage to get a run as a starter until he was 27, and it's not because the guys in front of him were superstars.

Perfectly adequate backup or starter in the lower half of the league, and he seems like a great guy, but he's not close to Leno in overall quality.

4. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    I wish covid would do one, I hate the lack of crowds on TV and I especially hate that I can't attend an Arsenal match right now

5. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal playing out of the back nicely (and scaring the crap out of me)

NorthBank repped this.
  6. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Is it my imagination or has Auba been crap since he announced he had signed a new contract earning him millions?

7. Deep Wilcox

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aguero clapping at the "crowd" on his way off. Funny stuff.

8. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    We need to change something.

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  9. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Leeds drew 1-1 with City, Leicester beat them 5-2 at the Ethiad. Just saying.

CarlosKaiser and Deep Wilcox repped this.
  10. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Come on Arsenal, make something happen. This game really is dull. Still, take a point and I'd be happy.

11. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Let's be honest here, City haven't moved out of first gear. We have done very little to threaten them.

12. Deep Wilcox

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Partey time!!!!

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FT: 1-0

Seems harsh that Citeh should get all 3 pts. but can't dispute that Arsenal were pretty tame. Overall passing was poor and their team movement and positioning was average at best.

15. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Just not good enough. We didn't even challenge City, we didn't have a go. Very disappointing.

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Citeh with about 200 more passes than Arsenal, and it was only that close as Arsenal pressed late to tie. I think that defines the day because their ability to hold possession meant they also had enough extra opportunities for that moment of creativity to get a goal.

Didn't see enough to judge Partey today.

17. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gabriel was clear standout to me. a dominating and stabilizing presence on the pitch. For just a few matches at the club, he seems to have settled in nicely and is clear first choice over any other CBs on our roster (and we have a LOT of them...and I realize a lot of them aren’t very good, but still... )

I also liked what Pepe brought today. He was more dangerous than Willian and Auba, imo. Several really good headers, which I didn’t think was in his repertoire. He also tracked back and marked on defense really well.

18. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our current style seems so fruitless at times. Will the players get tired of this? Auba has to be frustrated on days like today

19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    It’s all down to the center of the midfield, City had a man advantage in the center of the midfield and it showed in the touches and passing numbers. City’s midfield three had more than twice as many touches and more than twice as many passes as Arsenal’s midfield two and it seemed like most of Xhaka’s passes and a lot of Ceballos’ passes were backwards or square in an attempt to break the press. Arsenal were forced outside, where the sidelines act as another defender. Saka and Bellerin both had more touches than Xhaka and Saka had more touches than Ceballos. Maybe Partey can make the difference in a center midfield pairing, but I think Arteta probably needs to go back to three in the center of the midfield when facing teams that press well.

Silva 5, Tonerl and Shen-O repped this.
  20. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Missed it live and watched on DVR. What a lackluster performance.

I don't know what Arteta wanted Willian to do but he wasn't doing it well. If Arsenal wanted a washed up, 30-something attacking midfielder, they could have just played the guy who is already earning 350k a week and at least then maybe the Ozil fanboys would stop whining about him not playing.

Over and over trying to build through the left with Gabriel, Tierney and Saka, yet Auba was barely involved. So predictable, Pep knew it was coming and shut it down.

Saka is great but needs more freedom and not to be pinned in by the touchline. Need more build up on the right to give Pepe more chances. Hopefully Partey changes that.

21. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Willian looked great in the first game, but it was Fulham, and since then he’s been average, which isn’t good enough. He may find himself in Ozil’s position in year three. I wonder he has a loyalty bonus in his contract?

22. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arteta raus

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like Arteta has done a good job of solidifying us defensively. We don't seem to bleed shots like we did under Emery. But the attack definitely needs work. Willian is looking his age.

bigredfutbol and daedalus repped this.
  24. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said raus damn it! Nah yea, we're still way better off with him.

25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone thinking this was going to be a quick fix is going to be disappointed (not saying you). So many wrinkles to iron out.

daedalus repped this.