Aron Jóhannsson is there for the taking. Why not SKC?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by mschofield, Dec 20, 2013.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I realize this is one of the up and coming players in Europe, and that he's seen as more likely for a big 4 league than MLS, but he's young, quick, great on the ball, smart and has a very sweet shot. And as of now, he's still almost inexpensive (the word is less than $5m). He won't be that cheap in another year. and he won't be that cheap this summer. He may not be willing to look at anything more than a two year deal, but he's hungry and searching for his American identity. And MLS is becoming well enough thought of over here (no idea what my profile says, but that's Berlin (where the MLS championship game has been on non stop for the past two weeks, and where by the next day the lead in to the rerun was the Chelsea-BM CL final shootout, to which the game is being compared)) that he could both experience being an American, and showcase himself to the Bund, EPL, etc. I think he's worth a shot, and worth the DP money and slot. While he's unlikely more than a short term addition, he would be a fantastic short term addition. In the coming year, with the CCL the goal (either tourney, I guess) he would be a fantastic fit for SKC.
    So, why not?

2. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to have Johannson here. How much less than $5M are we talking? I could see $3M... more than that and I start thinking why not just buy 2 real solid $2M guys.

3. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No one would be sad to see him in Sporting blue, of course not. Heh. But unless Bieler gets traded, I don't think there's any chance at all of SKC getting another DP striker.

Though I'm pretty sure Aron would not be too eager to come here. He's already making waves in the international showcase league, and a good run there will put him right in line for a top-three league purchase. Just as long as he doesn't Jozy and throw his hat in with a team that makes all sorts of promises of punching above their weight but turns out to be straight awful.

4. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, unfortunatly, I don't see Kansas City or MLS as a big draw for guys who already have lots of interest from bigger teams in bigger leagues. I think he'd need to really get paid before he'd consider us, or any other MLS club.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he wants to stay in Europe? MLS can continue to group but it won't have the pull of Europe.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    At this point, his aware American experience is playing with the national side and an exchange year at Bradenton (and a vacation or three). He's interested in more, choosing the USMNT meant something to him beyond footie. It was a young man looking to make a connection to his roots. Now, maybe his search can be solved by getting a big payday then buying a nice place on the Carolina coast. But from what we're seeing and hearing, he would be worth an approach. And an approach is free.

7. shawnvb

shawnvb Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bacon, Zusi and Benny combining would be deadly, but sadly I don't see him coming here... Although Celtic, in a worse league than MLS (but have the lure of CL action), want him for about 2.5 million Euros supposedly, which is definitely affordable as a DP for us, so maybe there's a small chance. But I would rather see him stay at AZ (as opposed to a move to Glasgow) and then move to a big four league after the WC I think.

8. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Celtic may be in a worse league, but they are about as guaranteed as any team on the continent to make a Champions League appearance every year. If the SPL lost that berth, no one would ever want to play there again. At least, as far as a destination team.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Celtic it all depends making the group stage. This year they had to win 3 qualifying rounds to make the group stage.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree, but this is kind of my point: MLS can compete with the SPL, for players. He'd benefit more from a year in the US than a year in Scotland, and I think he reads as if he'd be willing to listen. He's still not as big a get as Dempsey (okay, he's younger with great potential, so that's always a big get) and you could argue he's not yet where Martins was when he left Spain (AJ's value is slightly less right now, apparently at least). He would be a statement signing, and really SKC's next step is going to require players of this caliber, to win the CCL. Beyond that, improving every year is the SKC way and right now SKC is good enough that a player similar to AJ is a logical next step (nothing at all wrong with Zizzo, Gruenebaum(?sp) et al. but they fit in well with what we have, and might start and might push others to be better. AJ is a step up.
    Oh, and in reference to an earlier point, he is a killer coming from wide. Get him on the same field as BF, Zusi and Bieler and that is one tasty attack.
    Again, my main point, I hope we approach AJ, or someone like him. I think right now is underselling what is becoming a good international brand (championship was on for the last time twice this weekend, morning hours, but they gave the SKC a ton of play in Germany, Holland, etc).

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think this whole thread is just silly competition wise we can compete with the SPL, but we can't offer the Champions League or the pay level that Johannsson is likely to get from the likes of Celtic.