Argie Bargies

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by norwaytips, Aug 31, 2006.

1. 15woodcroft

15woodcroft Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Some more from the Guardian:

Spanish to Cockney translations:

Estoy siempre haciendo pompas
    I’m forever blowing bubbles

Ni de Adan y Eva
    Would you Adam’n’Eve it

Arriba los martillos
    Up the ’Ammers

Jefe, no me gusta jugar arriba estando el Jack Jones
    Boss, I don’t like playing up front on my own

Sube las manzanas y las peras
    Up the apples and pears

Estoy en un dos y ocho
    I’m in a right two and eight

Echas un carnicero
    Take a butcher’s

2. ballard45

ballard45 Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Melbourne, Vic, Aus
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This whole thing is pretty amazing but as Hammer fans, regardless of how long they stay, it is going to be fantastic for us. The upside is that if we have a good season, perform well in Europe and the domestic cups, then even if they leave we will be seen as a serious option by other talented players.

Just incredible the amount of attention being paid to this by other websites.

You know I think the best thing that has come out of this is that Arsenal, Chelski and Manure fans are so pissed off. Just this alone makes my day!!:D

3. Chadwell

Chadwell New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    North Carolina
    Exactly!

4. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Congrats. I'm happy I'm going to be able to see Tevez play again since I got to see very little of him when he was at Corinthians.

Let's just hope they adapt well to English football.

5. Futballer

Futballer New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Canada
    I wonder if Chelsea just put them there so they can buy them next year?

How long are they signed for?

6. claret50

claret50 Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  7. DVN_

DVN_ New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    USA
    HOLY HOLY HOLY....I'll be honest with you guys that i have barely even heard of West Ham United ( as i live in the USA), but this deal has just put them on the map for ALOT of people....

These two players are amazing, congrats to the fullest guys...hope you tear up the premiership :)

I still think its hard to believe, TEVEZ and MASCHERANO, whaaaa ?

8. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Blame good weed and being South American but whats the story behind cockney sayings?

9. norwaytips

norwaytips Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just humour mate, They all start as a rhyme, but change as people start playing with the words. 'He fell on his ariss' comes from Aristotle, which rhymes with bottle. Bottle is short for bottle and glass, which rhymes with arse. Hence, he fell on his ariss means he fell on his arse.
    Started in the 18th century, although there have always been 'puns' in the English language. It would take a book to explain it all. Try Wikopedia. It may help.

Now, as I look out the burnt cinder, I can see the old currant is out, so I'm off for a ball of chalk up the frog and toad mate. Gonna take the trouble and strife with me. Saves being on me shanks.:)

10. northbankbar

northbankbar New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    NZ
    And gets you off your aris, Norway

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    they have 20 mill buyout clauses right?

12. Chadwell

Chadwell New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    North Carolina
    According to The Guardian (via BBC gossip page, so with a grain of salt):

"West Ham will have to sell Carlos Tevez or Javier Mascherano if a club bids more than £35m for either player."

Other Hammer's items from the gossip page:

"Having signed the two Argentines, West Ham had a loan bid for Real Madrid's Brazilian right-back Cicinho turned down."

"Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was interested in West Ham's Nigel Reo-Coker before plumping for Real Madrid's Julio Baptista."

"West Ham are now set for a takeover bid from Iranian investor Kia Joorabchian, the president of MSI, the company that sold the Hammers Tevez and Mascherano."

"West Ham started off transfer deadline day at 42-1 outsiders to win the Uefa Cup this season. Two Argentine World Cup stars later and their odds tumbled to just 18-1."

13. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I have just read this entire thread and nearly p1ssed my pants laughing at some of the comments coming from Norway and Stomper. Norway you should go on the boards. I always wondered where ariss came from.:D

It's a new experience to be able to take the mick out of the big clubs in a way that leaves them speechless. This is massive news yet Sky Sports News still find other stuff about the top four clubs to report on instead of our massive coup signings. The A. Cole transfer, Baptista transfer, Reyes transfer and even the 100th anniversary of The Kop is more important. What are these people on?

Anyway amidst the euphoria this is a very 'out of character' move for West Ham to make. Lots of opinions have been posted here but one fact we should remember is that this is a Chairman's signing and not a Manager's signing. It's definitely being done with money being the primary motive so it's just a case of how. I must admit though keeping the contract details a secret does leave a level of discomfort in my guts. How will all this come out at the other end?

I am trying not to think about this and enjoy the immediate benefits which should be goals gallore!!! I cannot wait to see these guys in action. Maybe we will beat Villa 4-0 again ater all.:)

14. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    mascherano always wanted to play alongside nigel reo-coker.
    when he was growing up in argentina he used to tune into wimbledon games and watch on some old TV with a crappy signal.

15. Chadwell

Chadwell New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    North Carolina
  16. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thanks Norway. Definitely clears a bit up for me. Have fun with the wife (trouble and strife?). In Buenos Aires we have a slang called lunfardo which is a mess in it's own right with a bit of a history of its own.

M

17. mauro_

mauro_ New Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bs As, Argentina
    there are not any conspiracies or whatever.. they both just wanted to get the ******** out of there, pardon my french but that's the plain truth

like a guy from the US said, this sent you way up on the football charts...

i was reading this topic when i saw an user said tevez wont start because some west ham player was doing great. although i don't expect them to start on their first match, they should be from the beginning on the next one :p but that's just me.
    great signings, looks like i'll start seeing some west ham shirts around here (and it'll be the first time ever i see one hehe)
    see ya

18. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually they were pen pals as wee lads and were determined to be dancers for music videos after seeing the video for "I'll tumble for you" from Culture Club. I guess some dreams can come true, at least the one in which they finally get to play together.

19. botch

botch New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Barca/Melbourne/B.A
    Wow. you are right. Maybe all of England forgot and just heard West Ham scored Tevez and Mascherano

20. botch

botch New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Barca/Melbourne/B.A
    Fourfourtwo does, but most people say Messi is the new Maradona. Not to take anything away from Tevez who is still a god in his own right.

21. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thought it was older than that

22. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah, but if you wanna do it proper, you've got to miss out the rhyme. Me trouble sent me up the frog to get me dustbins. Needed me weasel and titfer tho' coz its raining.:D

23. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And I always thought it started to confuse the fuzz. Like my Uncle Blob, who was known as ***, despite the fact that his real name was ****. An unskilled worker, on permanent sick leave. He lived in a self owned detached house, drove a very large car, dripped with gold rings and weighed about 23 stone (400lbs).
    The Police spent years looking for a guy responsible for bank raids and protection known as 'the fat man'. So I guess he didnt spend all his money on himself.
    Nice guy.

24. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We might be cousins?:eek:

25. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Where do we Brits stand with this Setanta channel? I can get Setanta on freeview but it only shows SPL matches.

I am one of these bah humbugs who refuses to give a penny to Sky because of the way they market and sell their channels and also they way they try to monopolise the screening of English matches, which are freely available to non UK residents, for their own financial greed.

I have tried various streaming options over the internet, the most reliable of which has probably been FLTV, but the quality of all of them is blurry unless zoomed right in on players. I don't have the balls to try any of the streaming sites which charge (except FLTV).

If ITVN does not broadcast PL matches in the UK then can I stream West Ham games over the internet, anyone?