Argentines who play for other national teams: would they make Argentina's squad?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He was also on the bench and an unused substitute for both the semifinal and the final.

Not a significant loss

2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  3. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He once played for the NT in a "supercasico de las Americas" - which is really a friendly with Brazil. But in 2012 he was told that he couldn't play for another nation, and in 2019 they changed the rules. I guess a friendly game doesn't count as a debut anymore. Whatever, he is 30 years old and couldn't even crack the bench for us

Chesco United repped this.
  4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At one time the US even inquired for them to play for them. They lived in the Us for a period of time and went to HS in Texas. But they only had a green-card, which didn’t make them eligible. Neither him or his brother should’ve ever been seriously considered for our senior team, which Ramiro was paired with Otamendi (If I’m not mistaken).

Chesco United and megamac20817 repped this.
  5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    According to the Mexican press, it looks like they'll be taking him to Gold Cup this summer

[​IMG]

6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    5 Argentines in Paraguay's final Copa America roster:

Andrés Cubas, Alejandro Romero Gamarra, Gastón Giménez, Héctor David Martínez, Santiago Arzamendia

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Meh. Cubas had potential but would he have been a regular for us? I don’t think so. The others, I don’t see them as a major loss. They all probably knew they would never be regulars for us. Now, they’ll have international football. Can’t blame them. All you can do is wish them the best of luck(Obviously not against us).

8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, I don't think there was room for any of them even in the peripheral of the squad... maaaybe Martinez in the future, although for now he has like 10 solid defenders ahead of him and wouldn't have room in the foreseeable future.

I just find the amount of nationalized Argentines in one team to be interesting. It's practically half a starting team, and with an Argentine coach managing them they might as well switch their red stripes to light blue at this point.

SupaMario repped this.
  9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, as long as they don’t end up celebrating a goal like that clown Fabbro and Barrios, then it should be all good in my book… I don’t understand why they would celebrate. It is the country that gave them their careers. It’s not like some club who did you wrong and you’re getting some type of poetic justice.

But this isn’t anything new really, in 2010, didn’t the likes of Ortigoza, Aquino, Jonathan Santana and Barrios join Paraguay? I remember most of them being in Copa America in 2011 and Tata was their manager.

Perhaps the only one that had real success was Barrios.

locoxriver repped this.
  10. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Rogelio Funes Mori formally included in Mexico's Gold Cup preliminary roster:

Santiago Gimenez, an Argentine-born 20-year-old forward, was also included in the list. The difference with Funes Mori is he moved to Mexico at a young age, making him "more" Mexican, if you will..

Chesco United and SupaMario repped this.
  11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I just read that it is Chaco Gimenez’ son. He had a pretty decent career.

Looks like the Mexicans are trying to lock his son up. I don’t anything about him but I’m sure if he was super talented, we would’ve caught wind.

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Apparently he has represented their NT at youth level and was even called-up to the senior side in October of last year. He is pretty Mexican though, since he had barely turned 3 when he moved there with his dad.

I don't know if he'll be present at Gold Cup though, since nearly 2/3 of those on the list will be cut. Funes Mori has a much better chance, but I don't think he's a lock either.

SupaMario repped this.
  13. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I have no problems with a player representing a country, where they were born and grew up in. We see a lot of these players in Mexico now, where their dad’s played in Mexico during the early 2000s. I’m sure we’ll get a bunch of yanquis in a generation or so, where a bunch of players representing the US because their dad played in the MLS and they grew up in the US.

My issue is with European sides trying to poach our players who have very little to do with that country.

14. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I felt the same way for the longest time. But now it appears to be happening the other way. Ben Brereton does not speak Spanish, never lived in Chile and doesn't even know the Chilean NT; but there he is starting for the Chile. So who knows, now that a lot of SAmericans are playing in Europe maybe their kids will play for their father's land (Breretorn's mother is Chilean).

Chesco United and megamac20817 repped this.
  15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, that’s Chile. I was kinda talking about our national team. :).

Loco repped this.
  16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hadn't realized Rogelio Funes Mori was selected ahead of Chicharito for the Mexican NT :laugh:

Hugo Sanchez is pissed:

"Resulta que Javier Hernández no es mejor que Rogelio Funes Mori. ... Si realmente es mejor que los que están en México muy bien. Pero quién es el que decide que es mejor o no: otro argentino. El Tata Martino ¿de dónde es?

Defenderé a los futbolistas mexicanos. Estoy hablando de Carlos Vela, Macías, Hirving Lozano, Henry Martin, Alexis Vega, Alan Pulido. De muchos delanteros mexicanos que no tienen ese respaldo y apoyo porque el entrenador de la selección nacional no es mexicano y es argentino. No lo voy a permitir. No me gusta.”​

Loco, megamac20817 and SupaMario repped this.
  17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It only took Funes Mori 4 minutes to find his first international goal with Mexico

lol at that accidental assist

Chesco United and SupaMario repped this.
  18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Now this is a peculiar case:

Spanish-born, 16-year-old La Masia left-back of Argentine and Japanese descent Niko Takahashi expresses his openness to play for all three nations...

Firmemente ubicado en el lateral izquierdo tras comenzar su carrera como delantero, Niko hizo carrera en las juveniles del culé, donde acaba de consagrarse campeón de la categoría Cadetes A. Esto llamó la atención de la selección española, que lo convocó para la sub 16. Pero también lo pretenden Japón y la Argentina, por supuesto.

“Me gustaría jugar con las tres selecciones. Ya probé la española. Me gustaría hacerlo con las otras para elegir dónde me siento más cómodo. Tampoco quiero estar cambiando siempre, pero sí me gustaría probar y, donde crea que estoy mejor, pues quedarme. Ya que tengo la suerte de tener la triple nacionalidad, la quiero aprovechar", afirma Niko.​

https://tntsports.com.ar/internacio...-nueva-promesa-de-La-Masia-20210714-0011.html

SupaMario and megamac20817 repped this.
  19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Paraguay confirm their interest in calling up rising 20-year-old Boca Juniors leftback Agustin Sandez

“Son futbolistas seguidos por nosotros y forman parte de nuestra elección", reconoció Eduardo Berizzo, el entrenador argentino del seleccionado paraguayo.

"A nuestro entender son paraguayos, que lo único que ha imposibilitado que lo sean es un trámite burocrático", agregó el DT que está en la cuerda floja y se juega mucho este jueves como local ante Venezuela.

"Yo encontré y propuse la nacionalización de Andrés Cubas, Gastón Giménez y David Martínez, pero a todo jugador paraguayo que quiera ser parte, no le voy a cerrar las puertas. Tengo la obligación de seguir, la obligación de prestarle atención y de convocarlos si me gustan", contó Berizzo tiempo atrás.​

https://www.ole.com.ar/boca-juniors/boca-sandez-seleccion-paraguay_0_b5zQxT3Gu.html

Racing rightback Juan Caceres was also confirmed to be followed. Looks like Berizzo really is going for a full Argentine starting eleven :rolleyes:

I honestly wonder how the Paraguayans feel about this. All these players have Paraguayan descent, but lets be honest, none of them had ever been to the country or probably even felt a connection to it prior to their call-ups. There currently are 5 Argentine-born players featured in their roster, another 2 or 3 that were recently called-up, and these 2 being watched. It’s kind of crazy.

I know we discussed with Mario in the past that most of these guys wouldn’t cut it for Argentina (although Sandez has been impressing for Boca and is young, so he could be of use depending on how he develops), but I just wonder how their fans feel about it. I mean other than Arzamendia, who made a name for himself in the Paraguayan league, their NT is being invaded by foreigners while the “real” Paraguyans are being robbed of chances. It doesn’t help that they’re doing quite poorly in WCQs (1 win in 8 games)

soul24rage and SupaMario repped this.
  20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sandez has potential, Argentina should claim him.

If he turns out to be like Cubas, then Paraguay can have him.

21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Apparently Klimowicz turned down the call-ups to U23 qualifiers for the Germans (Which would’ve probably made him cap locked for them) since he’s still deciding on who he wants to play for. I don’t think he’s remotely close to playing for either side. Did he see us win the CA and all of a sudden felt Argentino again?

locoxriver repped this.
  22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This kind of caught me by surprise....

Lucas Zelarayan to play for the Armenian NT

Talented player, great addition for Armenia. He's 29 so he was pretty much out of the picture for us (much more being that he's playing in MLS), but the guy has skills...

He'll be the second Argentine player in the current Armenia squad, joining Boca's Norberto Briasco.

Armenia currently placed 2nd in Group J in the UEFA WCQs (which grants a playoff spot), so who knows, maybe we'll even see both of them at the WC.

SupaMario repped this.
  23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wonder if this is it for many of the Argentine players on the Paraguayan NT now that Berizzo got sacked... I'm sure David Martinez and Arzamendia will continue to receive call-ups regularly, but others like Gaston Gimenez, Romero Gamarra, and Andres Cubas I'm not so sure...

SupaMario repped this.
  24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wonder if Gareca is next.

But as for this matter, I do not think that much will change. You know damn well, down the road they’ll hire another Argentine DT and they’ll continue to call up Argentines with Paraguayan ancestry. I don’t think any Argentine born player; who has a serious chance at making the seleccion will choose Paraguay over us. They go to Paraguay because it gives them a chance to play in tournaments. It is as simple as that.

25. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    locoxriver repped this.