Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Totally agree, Palacio is a phenomenal talent, but I think that he made a mistake playing in Germany - its not that its a "tough" league or any non-sense like that, its that some South American players have a hard time adopting to living/playing/growing their game there. I don't think the Bundesliga is particularly a tough league (one team has won the league 23 of the last 25 years - not very competitive).

Noone should write off Palacio, BUT, Enzo Fernandez is KILLING IT AT BENFICA, we have midfielders coming up even if Palacio doesn't hit.

SupaMario repped this.
  2. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is Enzo going to the WC?

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    More times than not the club will urge the player to go to the highest bidder. The higher ups, care about the best interest of the club, not necessarily the player. Palacios should have probably said no to Germany. Alario was already there, he should have consulted with him.

Let’s just see what manifests this season. I’m still hopeful. Talent is talent and he’s got plenty of it.

4. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    HE is waaaay too young for this squad. There are so many Argentinean players right now at top of their game, that I can't see it.

A wild maverick type manager (aka, idiots that we previously had . . . like Diego calling up Jonas Gutierrez for the 2010 WC and then playing him as a right back! - yeah, that happened) would do some stuff like that, but Scaloni seems like the kind of manager that is very conservative when it comes to making roster changes late in preparation.

Personally, I rate Enzo higher than Exequiel, and if it comes down to either of them but in reality Scaloni doesn't plan to play either very meaningful minutes, let's go with the younger kid with higher upside. All that said, I think Exequiel is a talent and needs to go to a better league.

SupaMario repped this.
  5. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    What was his best game with the NT because I can't recall a standout performance? He's been just about adequate in the last 10-15 mins but a noticeable downgrade from whoever he is replacing. At least he LOOKS the part like an aggressive midfielder unlike MacAllister who is like a little boy lol.

Dominguez is another who is always completely anonymous but is always there in the list

6. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    No such thing. The WC is made for younger guys who are hungry way too many examples of this.

Our first team is set and perfect but replacements not so much

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Probably the friendly v the Mexicans here in the US.

But we have to be realistic, not all 28 players are going to top class. You will have some average players but they tend to work with this group. I do not think anybody is being left out that deserves to be there. I mean, I could say Retegui, who is killing it right now in Argentina but his time may come.

8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nah... Diego would take Veron instead... so a 2022 Diego would be taking Enzo Perez and Pulpo Gonzalez, while leaving Enzo Fernandez at home.

As for Enzo Jr. being way too young, I don't think so... He may not be too seasoned, but I don't think he's any less than MacAllister, Dominguez, and arguably Palacios. Even the likes of Meza and Pereyra were called up recently, and although neither will likely go to Qatar, their caps shows that Enzo Fernandez is at the very least a worthy contender.

Anyway, he's 21, not 16... Scaloni took Foyth and Lautaro with the same age to Copa America, so it's not too farfetched. Crazy would be to take, say, Luka Romero or Soule.

SupaMario repped this.
  9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree. I also think taking a young player is also a benefit because they play without a great deal of fear or pressure. Enzo is top class and if he continues this trend, the likes of Real Madrid and Man City are going to be calling soon.

locoxriver repped this.
  10. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

11. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree that its beneficial for young players to get WC experience, but this is the Argentina squad list. We're not a johnny come lately with a "good recent run" - usually when a young player gets into our WC squad is a very upside type player (aka, Leo).

I hate to argue against taking Enzo, who is one of my favorite young players, so I will say that if he is performing better than Dominguez or Palacio, yeah let's have a go.

12. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    :laugh::);)

Albiceleste2010 and SupaMario repped this.
  13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Another benefit is that rivals don't have too many references on them. It can be useful to have that secret card that no one is expecting and that they haven't studied to the nth degree.

DTCrackheads and SupaMario repped this.
  14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I mean it is objective truth.Name me a better young Argentine forward currently in the Primera. I’ll wait!

Albiceleste2010 and Loco repped this.
  15. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    In addition, depth is needed for the WC and it must be IMPACTFUL depth. A hot player like Enzo could come in when one of our key players is suspended/injured and make some noise.

We cannot only rely on 11 players to get us through the tournament. Everyone must contribute in a positive way.

soul24rage and Pekerman repped this.
  16. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    No no, not just good recent run but like stated above we need IMPACT. Obviously many factors to consider but usually it's younger players who have that X-factor and you can tell right away.

Also, a 'very upside type of player' is almost an impossible determination to make. Saviola in 2002 might have been his peak version, Owen 1998 probably his peak, etc. How old was Gotze when he scored against us or Mbappe. Players could get injured and never be the same. Sometimes these young players are already at their explosive best no point in waiting until they are 30 years old.

Coaches like Bielsa, Sampaoli and Poch (bielsa school) would choose a runner like Meza over actual talent because they cannot adjust their inflexible philosophy.

Not pushing for Enzo or anything btw who I have barely seen play. Just saying we should consider

17. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Enzo scored again. Read the play brilliantly and ran into space in the box. Short cross found him for an easy volley in. Nice goal.

He's also had a few nice long passes.

18. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Enzo has scored in all three matches that he has now played for Benfica. . .

EVERYONE STOP WRITING ABOUT ENZO, WE'RE GOING TO JINX IT!!

soul24rage, Rattlehead, Burr and 2 others repped this.
  19. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When you pick a squad you have to go with who is in form and on the top of their game.

If Enzo keeps this up and there is nothing to suggest he will not as he is a formidable talent capable of playing anywhere across the midfield. His football IQ and technique are superlative and thus he deserves to be in the squad.

His age ? Never stopped us before with players. Enzo is only going to improve from what is already a high level. Alcaraz is another who looks supremely comfortable all over the midfield with his technique. Both are similar and both love ghosting into the box or scoring from outside of it.

If there is a weakness in the squad it is the goals from midfield although de Paul is more than capable. I think it's a great tactical weapon when the opposition are preoccupied with Messi or di Maria or Martinez/Dybala that Enzo will come into the picture unmarked.

Mac Allister's career has nose dived while at Brighton. They're trying to fashion him into a DM. He has no experience of it, is physically incapable and is exposed time and time again. He cannot even create much from deep and look at Alcaraz or Fernandez. Consistently they can hit deep long passes with accuracy even under pressure.

It would be a crime to leave Enzo out of this squad.

soul24rage, locoxriver and Loco repped this.
  20. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That is the best point, imo, to include Enzo (goals from midfield). For the longest time it seemed that Argentina could only scored from inside the box or Messi. Seemed like all midfielders were scared to shoot from far or couldn't, or the entire offensive scheme was "get the ball to Messi" and let him work his magic. But, when the ball got to Leo, bc defenses didn't have to defend our midfielders, it got very cluttered in the box. The long shot from a deeplying playmaker solves a lot of the Bus Parking.

Totally 10% agree with this take. If Enzo and DePaul can be our guys that take shots outside the box and scare the defenders into going forward, then hell yeah, the kid stays in the picture.

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True, I've been saying that for years lol. But today I've seen Paredes and RDP shooting from outside and their blocked shots turned into goal by Lautaro & Messi. So my point is, it doesnt have to be direct goal but as long it threatened opponents goal, then its a good thing.

I remember the 2 finals againts Chile and they just parked 5-7 players in the box and we always entered the final third with Messi carrying the ball, so predictable. If Messi isnt carrying the ball then it would be the dead wood Biglia.

Since the day of Veron, Cambiasso & Roman, the only midfielder who could score is ADM .

Loco, Pekerman and soul24rage repped this.
  22. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Let's not get too overboard with Enzo's performances so far. I am just as excited about Enzo and I think he should definitely be ahead of MacAllister in the squad, but the 3 goals Enzo scored so far:

-2 of them are against a Danish team
    -1 is against a Portuguese team that finished one place above the relegation zone last season.

Hopefully he shines against better opposition, but the talent is there.

23. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Yes, but at least he's in Europe we will soon see him in CL and find out. It's not like a Pavon or Meza in 2018. Call it euro bias but it is what it is. I don't want to see local players unless they are absolute monsters and about to move to a big euro team.

soul24rage repped this.
  24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To be fair a goal is still a goal and its means something when its a competitive game (not friendlies or pre season). Even in pre season, its his very first game.

We've seen Messi scores againts top opponent but doesnt score againts bottom teams in next 3 weeks. Last season , Inter was top of the table then they dropped point against bottom team that cause them the title.

25. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But Argentine manager would prefer broken ankle Batigol over prime Saviola & Crespo , average joe Julio Cruz over young Messi, dinosaur Martin Palermo over young Aguero, fat Higuain & overrated Pavon over prime Dybala.

And thats not a joke, it really happened.