Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The team will live in tight bubble environment so its very unlikely they're going to claim that the players get infected. Although I wouldnt be surprise in first match some players will win the lottery like in recent Copa.

2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Teams that could be tricky to beat these days would be the likes of Switzerland, Croatia & Belgium. Netherlands has always been hard aswell, I'd like to play Spain again since they thrashed us last time around, athough its mostly our B-sides.

Playing friendlies against yet another conmebol team would be a waste of opportunity. We've been playing each of them twice in qualifier and also faced most of them in Copa.

soul24rage, SupaMario and ganapordiego repped this.
  3. ganapordiego

ganapordiego Member

Estudiantes de La Plata
    Argentina
    Jul 10, 2021
    #13778 ganapordiego, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    Unfortunately due to the dopey UEFA Nations League, there don’t seem to be any dates where we can play Euro teams. I’d also like to play those teams you mentioned (Denmark is another I’d love to play right now), but sadly it doesn’t seem feasible to do that regularly until Conmebol joins the UEFA Nations league.

I agree I’m tired of playing only conmebol teams (although if we could beat Chile and Colombia this round and put both in danger of not qualifying, that would be enjoyable).

Rattlehead, soul24rage and Cosmin10 repped this.
  4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There are three certainties in life.
    Death
    Taxes
    And us playing Nigeria in the World Cup.

Personally, I’d avoid playing many of the African sides. I do not want a serious injury. If we can’t land a European team, Asia is the next best thing. And probably a realistic chance as well.

And I have to agree, the Swiss are a pain in the ass side. They knocked out the French and almost did the same with the Gallegos. They’ve got a top keeper, and they’ve got talented players. But I wouldn’t worry too much about the Croats, this generation is long in the tooth. I wouldn’t be surprised if they got knocked out early in the tournament.

No more playing the brazucas. We already went into their country and slapped them around. They were so scared of a repeat, they sent their health agencies to stop the game.

And ditto for the Mexicans. Unless the game is in LA, then for selfish reasons, I’ll be for it. But beating them for the umpteenth will provide us nothing other than getting a chuckle out of reading the Mexican forum on BS.

We need fresh challenges. I miss the friendlies we had v the Europeans. The Nations Cup is utter trash. It benefits nobody. I’m sure the Europeans are also bored playing each other as well.

5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Switzerland held Brazil draw in latest WC , also pushed us to 120 minutes in 2014, they're just somehow resilient. This time they also have some talents.not just determination, so they could be tricky team to beat much like 2018 Croatia.

As for Nigeria, we also faced them in multiple youth finals, 1996, 2005. 2008 and I can already see Argentina playing them in November.

I'd love to play Japan as they actually beat us the last time we faced them in 2010 friendly.

Burr and ganapordiego repped this.
  6. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japan are a fun team to play. They really go for it and have good playmaking ability, just poor finishing and not the stoutest defense does them in most of the time.

SupaMario, ganapordiego and Loco repped this.
  7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  8. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I honestly find friendlies before the WC absolutely useless. If you win it gives opponent a chance to adapt and if you lose you risk demoralizing the team. Of course the more NT games I get to watch the better but I just don't see the point. Might as well do some training maybe even closed games VS local players or if we do friendlies against mid-tier teams with our subs starting.

9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think friendlies are good to experiment... try out new players, different formations, strategies.

The problem is we take our friendlies too seriously and always field our best, while our rivals are the ones trying things out. As @Pekerman said, they learn from the experience and then use it against us in a real match when it matters (see Germany)

But if we used friendlies to give Senesi, Lanzini, Palacios, Soule, Buendia, Enzo Fernandez, etc chances (mixed with some starters), it’d be great

10. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006

Second only behind kroos.

soul24rage repped this.
  11. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beat me to it, but I figured you might, lol.

Pekerman repped this.
  12. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Loco, SupaMario, ganapordiego and 3 others repped this.
  13. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I've been saying that all along. Germany is perfect example. We beat them all the time in between each WC, but they're able to came out victorious when it matter.

Even in WC 2006, we faced them in Confederation prior to that.

As locoriver said, friendlies can be useful when we use it for experiment like Germany always does. No need to field all the main squad that has been playing in qualifier and tournaments.

In friendlies before the WC , I'd like to see Scaloni fielding at least one second strings player in each position, cause you know thats going to happen during the WC.

ganapordiego repped this.
  14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    upload_2022-1-26_9-11-52.png

Well, according to latest news.,..

Loco, ganapordiego and Cosmin10 repped this.
  15. ganapordiego

ganapordiego Member

Estudiantes de La Plata
    Argentina
    Jul 10, 2021
    Both Scaloni and Aimar to miss the Chile game due to covid. Ayala reported to stand in as coach.

SupaMario repped this.
  16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Buendia and Mac Allister will both miss the match as well. Alexis tested positive and I’m assuming Buendia was/is his roommate. Unfortunate, they both could’ve added to the game.

locoxriver and ganapordiego repped this.
  17. ganapordiego

ganapordiego Member

Estudiantes de La Plata
    Argentina
    Jul 10, 2021
    Ugh, really wanted to see Buendia get some minutes.

Burr, soul24rage, Cosmin10 and 2 others repped this.
  18. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    This test is an absolute joke.

Rattlehead repped this.
  19. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Scaloni, Aimar, Buendia, McAllister and ¿anyone else im missing? COVID positive, so none of them are going to Chile

If we win in the freaking desert at whatever altitude visiting Chile, without the coach, without the first assistant and without key players like Messi and Cuti....give us the cup already:ROFLMAO:

in any way, im happy with a tie

soul24rage and SupaMario repped this.
  20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is what it’s, dude. Until it changes, then so be it. Can’t go around crying about it.

21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Chile hasn’t played there since the Bielsa days(If I recall). So, it’s not like their players are used to the altitude. I believe they got Bolivia next; which is why they want to prep themselves for the game. I do not think it will be easy on them either. But yes, a win will be great.

This is a big test for Licha. If he plays well, I think he’ll be our third CB. So if Otamendi or Cuti miss out, he’ll be a solid backup. If he falters, then he drops doesn’t be pecking order.

soul24rage, DTCrackheads and Christina99 repped this.
  22. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Colombia game...thats a must win though

soul24rage, SupaMario and Cosmin10 repped this.
  23. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Most predictions are giving Chile the edge against Argentina. Im kinda surprised that people are counting us out, but knowing now that even our DT has COVID, it might be accurate.

In any case it would kinda suck to lose our unbeaten winning streak against CHILE of all teams, BUT, seeing the glass half full, it would be kind of great for entretainment. It would mean that they are still alive and they will battle it out until the last minute against the other teams. The Chile-uruguay of the last date could be EPIC!! I will watch that one with popcorn if they are both still alive.

Like I said, ill be happy with a TIE in Chile. Hopeful for a win and for a great show from Dybala.

Burr and soul24rage repped this.
  24. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I just realized that Chile has the most diffucult 4 match schedule I ever seen, LOL. Argentina, Bolivia (in La Paz), Brasil and Uruguay. Nightmare. They are gonna go all in against us tomorrow.

Burr and soul24rage repped this.
  25. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Otamendi just posted in his Instagram stories...the guys are still at the airport, waiting for testing, apparently they have been there for a long time. "Hoy dormimos acá" (we sleep here today), he joked

Hope the team can rest.

soul24rage repped this.