Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh I understand that he was just called-up due to ease of accessibility (and probably some Boca-AFA connections tbh), but to me he’s a better keeper than Andrada. Look no further than the 2018 Libertadores finals, where Rossi played an absolute hell of a match in the first leg in the Bombonera. I was actually happy when I heard Andrada would start over him in Madrid.

Marchesin isn’t bad either. There’s a reason he made it to Europe and was so accomplished in Mexico and Lanus. However, for one reason or the other he never really cuts it for me. Plus he has been quite poor with the NT when given a chance.

None of this is to say I think Rossi should start, but my point was those other guys who were regularly receiving call-ups for years aren’t necessarily blatantly superior to him

2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Aston Villa's CEO seems to be hinting that they may not release their players for the October WCQs if CONMEBOL doesn't get their shit together:

"Es un desastre. Lo que sucedió en Brasil el domingo fue una de las cosas más inusuales que he visto en el fútbol en toda mi vida. Realmente no entendí cómo sucedió, pero fue muy lamentable y dañino para el deporte, cuando hicimos todo lo que estuvo a nuestro alcance para llegar a un acuerdo amistoso y delicado con la federación argentina para asegurar que nuestros jugadores pudieran jugar partidos muy importantes", sentenció Purslow en diálogo con la BBC.

Pensando en la próxima ventana de Eliminatorias, nuevamente con tres fechas en Octubre (Argentina visitará el 7 a Paraguay, recibirá el 10 a Uruguay y el 14 también será local ante Perú), el CEO de Aston Villa advirtió: "Ya tenemos un problema de congestión importante en las fechas con las eliminatorias sudamericanas, así que para octubre realmente espero ver un acuerdo sensato porque nadie quiere ver una repetición de lo que sucedió. Eso hace que cualquier ejecutivo de club razonable se sienta increíblemente preocupado por la liberación de jugadores para viajar al extranjero mientras estamos en medio de la crisis".
    https://www.ole.com.ar/futbol-inter...n-villa-ceo-martinez-buendia_0_Y5d0pF3Dp.html

In other words, he's like "hey, we release our players when the other PL teams don't and then this shit happens... if you guys don't get your shit together and give us assurances, we'll reconsider releasing ours too"

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've watched both Andrada and Rossi a lot. I think the issue with Rossi when he was originally starting for Boca was that he was not very good at controlling the penalty area and did not transmit security in the air game. When Andrada replaced him, he not only controlled the air game much better and transmitted security, but he also made more of those spectacular saves that a goalkeeper shouldn't be able make but the good ones somehow do. He also was better at distributing. Also, Rossi had a number of bad games and Andrada had very few bad games - although as I'm sure you remember, one of those bad games was the most important game of all.

To be fair to Rossi, he was very young and he is a much better goalkeeper now that he's reaching his prime. He is four years younger than Andrada and he still hasn't reached his ceiling, so he might end up being the better of the two at the end. I don't think he's there yet but he's certainly closed the gap significantly.

Of course, I answer this with interest as a fan of Boca Juniors. From the perspective of the national team, we should be thankful that we have depth at goalkeeping that we haven't had in decades, and also that it appears that at least for now we have a clear number one in Dibu.

Burr, DTCrackheads and locoxriver repped this.
  4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, FIFA should deal with that issue as well, one way or the other, to make things clear.

Christina99, ganapordiego and locoxriver repped this.
  5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who should be the replacement for Lo Celso?

To me the most logical option to keep the same formation would be Palacios, while a more offensive option would be Papu. More intriguing would be to give an opportunity to Dybala. But watch Scaloni go to Nico.

6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not fully confirmed (and Scaloni does pull surprises), but this is the expected line-up for tomorrow:

[​IMG]

Looks like Papu beats Palacios for Lo Celso's spot... coincidentally it was also vs. Bolivia that he started and played a spectacular game against in Copa America.

Hopefully Dybala gets some minutes in the second half. It would be a shame to have him make a comeback for a three-match window and end up not playing a single minute. Angel Correa also deserves to play a half after all he has been showing in Atletico Madrid and the NT.

7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tbh, I'd even go with Foyth ahead of Pezzella vs. Bolivia. Got to give the younger players experience, and what better game to test out subs than this?

DTCrackheads and soul24rage repped this.
  8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Dybala got about 15 minutes in the last game. But yeah, we should put this game to bed early, so they get minutes.

I feel for Buendia; the guy continues to be called up, travels halfway across the world, and then doesn't get any minutes.

DTCrackheads, soul24rage and locoxriver repped this.
  9. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Definitely not against Bolivia at home :p

Honestly, I wouldn't call Buendia for both October and November as it's highly unlikely he won't play in both Oct. and Nov. period if he has to go back to Aston Villa after the 2nd match in the 3 header games is over. Should use international break to prepare well for the next game in the PL.

SupaMario repped this.
  10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't get me wrong, I like Papu, and I think he is a guy that is needed to lighten up the mood. Every team has that character. But I would give Buendia the start over him in the future. I know he had to go back after the second match but maybe in the future, he can meet the team up after the first match? I am not sure what the rules are about this... They play 2 games and have to return... or it is the first two matches and then he returns? Maybe after we clinch qualification, Scaloni tries out more things, which is why it is important to lock up qualification early.

We are a deep team in the attacking department. If this aspect of having 28 players and continuing the 5 subs, it is kinda scary how deep we are. I do not see another team in the world that is as loaded as we are. If we go down to 23, Scaloni will have difficult choices.

Christina99 and soul24rage repped this.
  11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]
    I think Dybala managed to convince everyone that he should have playing time.

ganapordiego and Loco repped this.
  12. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If anyone cares, the bar Fado in Philadelphia, PA is showing the South American WCQs.

Loco and soul24rage repped this.
  13. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    HOY JUEGA LA SCALONETA, PAPÁ

Loco repped this.
  14. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think that this is very important. Even if Dybala can't be a starter due to line-up and formations, its so important to have a guy like Dybala sitting on the bench ready to play as a supersub, or to step in as a starter. I am hoping that Papu and Dybala get at least 45 mins today. VAMOS ARGENTINA!!

(do we even bother with a game thread for Bolivia?)

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True , kinda feel bad for him since he's techincally our most talented forward (not counting Messi)...unfortunately for him the 2 Correa hit their best form at the right time . Nico also showed good form recently at Fio.

Meanwhile ,Lautaro started playing regularly as our main forward when Scaloni takes over in which the team started to improve big time , so he has a midfield who gives him lots of service.

Icardi & Dybala NT career has been a series of unfortunate events, at least for time being.

Dont think each qualifier game needs its own thread, too many matches. Maybe when we face the Brazucas again lol

soul24rage and Loco repped this.
  16. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The following nine players are 1 yellow card away from suspension

Nicolás Tagliafico
    Exequiel Palacios
    Gonzalo Montiel
    Rodrigo De Paul
    Giovani Lo Celso
    Nicolás Otamendi
    Germán Pezzella
    Lucas Martinez Quarta
    Nicolás González

I think we have sufficient cover for all but De Paul and Lo Celso imo. Best case scenario would be if De Paul and Lo Celso can last until the Uruguay game in October and get a yellow then to be unavailable for the game vs Peru at home.

If not, take the yellow today to miss vs Paraguay away to not miss the game vs Uruguay in October (even though Paraguay away is tough).

17. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    VAMOS LA SCALONETA!!!!

Im so pumped for tonight's game at home!!

(Though l was also pumped for the southamerican clásico but then ANVISA happened:barefoot:)

Hopefully no bad surprises for today

Chesco United and Loco repped this.
  18. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    First home game in a while plus fans will be in attendance. How many?

Should be a great atmosphere and I hope the players feed off of it and have a great game.

Like many have said, perfect opporrunity to give Dybala and Lisandro significant minutes.

19. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    About 30%? Around 25.000 or so i think. It was impossible to get tickets, they dissapeared in minutes...i wanted to go:cry:. Hopefully next time.

Rattlehead repped this.
  20. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #12096 Loco, Sep 9, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    How's the weather today in Bs As? I know that it was raining earlier. Wondering about the new pitch in the Monumental

ESPN is reporting the potential starting line-up
    Musso
    Montiel or Molina, Pezzella, Otamendi, Acuña;
    Di Maria, De Paul, Paredes, Alejandro Papu Gomez;
    Lionel Messi and Lautaro Martinez

Pretty crazy to say, but one year away from the WC and we still have 10 Games to Play (perhaps 11 if they don't give us the 3pts from Brazil and force us to play the game)! which means there are at least 30pts to play for. We only have a 5 pt advantage from 5th spot, so lots to play for still.

WE NEED 3PTS TODAY

Christina99 repped this.
  21. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Awful, its been raining for 3 days. Yesterday and on tuesday there was very heavy rain, but today theres only light rain now and the forecast says it wont rain in the afternoon or night (and tomorrow will be a clear day), so i dont think itll rain in the match but hopefully the pitch isnt too ruined by the rain of the past days.

locoxriver, soul24rage and Chesco United repped this.
  22. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    3 points are essential tonight.

23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

We’re going to qualify comfortably.

Rattlehead, tatoRMN, Loco and 2 others repped this.
  24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I like Papu, and maybe he is the best choice today, but looking at the future and mostly at the World Cup, I think it might be good to start exploring younger options.

locoxriver and SupaMario repped this.