Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its funny that Arsenal fans are making buzz by asking Arteta to be sacked for selling Martinez:laugh:

Loco repped this.
  2. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Except Kempes.

3. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Does anyone want to see Argentina play this new potential grab-for money cup between Argentina-Italy? ("the Maradona Cup")

The NT still has some serious questions imo. The fullbacks are still up for debate, Otamendi was awesome in Copa but not sure how much longer he has, there are still some options in midfield that have not been resolved and what is our attacking "trident" - is Nico still a starter?

We have two winable games in WC qualifying in September (Venezuela and Bolivia), I rather focus on that and maybe have "one off" friendlies here-and-there to try out players that could've played in the Copa (Buendia, Icardi, Dybala, etc). But I don't want to see any unnecessary games; and certainly don't want a BS tournament to be played next summer. The veterans on this team need to be rested, Messi was clearly bothered the last two games (imagine how much better he could've been if fit).

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Kempes is just jealous that Messi never play for Rosario , yet he's a bigger Rosario legend than Kempes.

Christina99, Duchene2Mackinnon and Burr repped this.
  5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We need to challenge ourselves vs sides we don’t see every two weeks. Italy will be a good test.

DTCrackheads and soul24rage repped this.
  6. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume hopefully that this replaces some meaningless friendlies against say Qatar or Haiti that we normally play.

7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its definetely money grab tournament. How many people from today's generation even aware of Artemio Franchi cup that we won in 1993?

Italy just happen to win Euro and Diego is biggest legend in their league, so they just try to capitalize it. If you see those photos of Messi and Di Maria's legs, these guys shouldnt play any extra game that isnt WC qualifier. If Messi was fully fit and ADM didnt injured his ankle , it could easily been 3-0 for us.

The problem is , if the tournament does takes place, we all know Messi is going to participate. I think Otamendi can still be a back up if he could keep his recent form. He's a commanding figure like Masche even if he lacks consistency. He showed his best game against Brazil because he clearly had personal grudge with them. Just look at his body language. He really went hard on their players and didnt give a crap.

soul24rage repped this.
  8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Messi wants rest, let him skip certain La Liga , CdR and CL matches(Particularly if his side has already qualified for for the KO stages). Vs a side like Italy, he should play. But I do agree, certain games he definitely needs to chill. If we’ve qualified for the World Cup with a couple games in hand, take a breather.

locoxriver and soul24rage repped this.
  9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If that's the case, I'm cool with it. We also have had enough friendlies against Brazil and Germany.

10. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The team needs experience playing against top European teams. I would love it if it's a one match game in June 2022.

locoxriver repped this.
  11. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I am very curious on how Argentina stacks up against Italy. I think that Argentina will surprise a lot of Euro supremacists who think that the Copa America is mediocre.

soul24rage and Christina99 repped this.
  12. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We’d beat them but it would be a close game. More like a toss up.

14. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If this doesn't give you goosebumps and choke a little bit, check yourself into a morgue b/c you're dead

15. ganapordiego

ganapordiego Member

Estudiantes de La Plata
    Argentina
    Jul 10, 2021
    20 matches undefeated. Any thoughts on how long that will last? Would love for the game vs Italy to be between the 2 longest unbeaten national teams.

16. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    My only problem with this game is I just don't think the players will give a shit. We know how we play when the players don't care. They need big games to wake up for. It's a sad reality, but it is what it is.

At least I wouldn't expect any 2 footed studs up tackles and flying knees to the back from Italy, like we see from South American teams.

17. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. We've been pretty fired up for friendlies against European sides before. Not physically fouling wise, but scoring lots of goals. Let's not forget the way we spoiled Germany's first home game post World Cup win.

locoxriver repped this.
  18. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Garay has officialy retired now, because of injury.

19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Apart from Masche, I'd say Zabaleta & Garay deserves a thropy aswell. He always scores his penalty convincingly .

20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Zabaleta was overrated. Good option for the position, but nothing extraordinary. His best performances came at club level: in the NT he was just another part of the lineup. I can't say I recall a single game that I said "wow, what a game by Pablo!"...... even Mercado had many more MOTM worthy performances, and he played for the NT a lot less.

Anyway, with Garay's announcement now half of the starting line-up that faced Germany in the 2014 final is retired (Garay, Demichelis, Zabaleta, Mascherano, Lavezzi). Only players still playing are Sergio Romero, Rojo, Biglia, Enzo Perez, Messi, and Higuain.

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #11671 Rattlehead, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    So apart from Messi, all the "best" one are still available. Rojo, Higuain, Enzo,Biglia and maybe Palacio.

Watching Di Maria's goal, this one s
    should have been an easy one for him.

Christina99 and locoxriver repped this.
  22. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's Palacios...

23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Never seen Messi in such a good mood.

24. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Albiceleste2010 and locoxriver repped this.