Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dude!

Salvio played what, about 25 minutes? With teammates he has hardly ever played or even practiced with. Plus, he is a player who naturally plays on the outside, when it was obvious that the match was begging for a midfielder to cover the middle of the pitch, and that's on the coach. Acuña couldn't do much with the same role either, in 50 plus minutes, and he's another player you simply can't dismiss based on one game.

I'm not advocating for Salvio to start, but he is a proven talent who can help provide some veteran leadership to this young group, and if you are dismissing him already you are putting way too much weight on way too little information. Either that or you already have a pre-conceived bias against him.

2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To be fair, Salvio never convinced in the NT even when he used to get called-up back in his Benfica days

He’s undeniably in form for Boca, but the game he had vs Ecuador was very similar to the other 11 appearances he has made for the NT in the past. That isn’t enough to completely rule him out just yet, but he certainly needs to step it up at this point.

3. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    There's just not enough quality in Salvio. Club form means nothing if you don't bring it to the NT. Club form brought us years of Pipita what did that get us? Another example is Pratto hell there's too many to name. Ricardo Palacios is another.

Bring in Exequiel see what he can do. At the very minimum you get a young guy who will press for every second. What you will bank on though is a hungry player ready to prove himself not just for Scaloni but the brain dead of a manager that has kept him on the bench for months despite good performances. If I'm Scaloni I'm betting on youth. Too many managers are afraid and too cautious deferring to "experienced" players even when its clear they're not good enough.

locoxriver repped this.
  4. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Only good thing is salvio isnt 35 years old so all good. Main priority is to get rid of otamendi.

5. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potential lineups for tomorrow. I see the logic in starting Martinez and O'Campos alongside Messi because they'll do the bulk of the work pressing, but something was off. What tweaks would you make to the lineup?

6. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Tomorrow is not a real football match, so asking for a more attacking formation is senseless and even harmful.

I personally would start Salvio (just for this game he's worth it) and that's it. Same guys as the other day. I think if we start Palacios we will never reach their box. And if we start Papu he and Messi will be dead by the 25th minute.

Then the coach should make 4 subs, all at once, around the 55' mark (leave 1 in case someone gets an injury later).

Overall we have two big advantages we didn't have in the past against this opponent: no spectators and especially the 5 subs.

soul24rage repped this.
  7. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    I dismissed him back in WC 2018 and that is where my pre-conceived bias comes from! He was terrible there too.

On another note, Brazil smashed this Bolivia side 5-0. Granted that game was played in Brazil.

Uruguay will face Ecuador tomorrow. Will be interested to see if Ecuador goes for the same rough game they did against us, and how Uruguay handles it.

8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We will beat Bolivia if only we have a winning mindset. We shouldnt go there thinking , we'll never beat them on that mountain, so 1 point would be good enough. No, we should comes out smoking like we did against Ecuador in that last game of 2018 qualifier and break the myth/curse.

It should be noted even when we actually played well like in Pekerman and Sabella's day, there's always that 1-1 or 1-0 game where opponents just decided to bunker the whole game. I wouldnt surprise if this current team is actually capable of scoring multiple goals once we face opponents who's not afraid to attack. Ecuador didnt even try any , even after they got behind.

9. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10134 Holiday_Jenkins, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Playing there is completely different. Perhaps a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 would be better suited for this match. This is what I'm expecting.

4-4-2
    GK Armani
    RB Foyth
    CB Martinez-Quarta
    CB Otamendi
    LB Tagliafico
    RM Salvio
    CM Dominguez
    CM Paredes
    LM O'Campos
    ST Messi
    ST Martinez

10. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    They played their substitutes against Brazil. Not that the result would have been much better otherwise but still not the same.

11. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Excited to see either Palacios or Dominguez start in place of injured Acuna. Looks like Salvio will be on the bench where he belongs :ROFLMAO:. This is the only change to the starting 11.

12. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Official lineup

Armani; Montiel, Martínez Quarta, Otamendi, Tagliafico; De Paul, Paredes, Palacios; Messi, Martínez, Ocampos.

Backline and forwards: no surprises

Glad to see Palacios in the team.

SupaMario repped this.
  13. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bolivian misses empty net.

14. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Montiel gave the Bolivian #9 a clear unchallenged header!

15. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Goalie also made a judgment error.

16. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is already frustrating lol.

17. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ok, will stop watching after that yellow for Argentine player. Gets the ball first. How can you still stand with these refs? They make such bad name for south american people.

18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  19. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Why is Armani standing on his line? I'm sick of his sub-par, passive play.

Bolivian #9 has been dangerous all game. Best player on the field so far.

20. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That was coming. And unfortunately I can only see one team scoring again in this game. All our guys look gassed. And for some reason they look surprised by how the ball is moving, even after training on the pitch yesterday.

21. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lmao I could've scored that header wtf.

22. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Number #10 also look decent for Bolivia, seems to have good technique and a cool head.

23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I love seeing Lautaro make those dashing sprints on the wing and when he looks up there is only green jerseys.

Where are you going?

Burr repped this.
  24. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ref almost giving Bolivia a free kick in the box hahah

25. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Have we put in a single good cross/corner kick yet?