Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires is a jewel of a city. The architecture and parks with a Gallic influence and the expansiveness is what many urban centres aim to achieve but fail in doing so. Here's a documentary exploring the passion for football.

Rattlehead and Burr repped this.
  2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #9252 Rattlehead, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
    England smartly avoided any friendlies against Argentina since Messi entered the scene. Once Messi retired, you'll see another friendlies.

All other powerhouse teams already surpassed England achievement . They only reached one final in major tournament and never win Euro despite being a European country.

They cheated Argentina twice, both their penalties in 1998 & 2002 clearly came from a dive just like Germany in 1990 final. Owen actually admitted it to Pochetinno.

3. Moaiyad

Moaiyad New Member

Argentina
    Oct 18, 2018
    Neither Guardiola nor Barcelona have invented the tikik taka system,

Argentina who did so

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    and it was way long before that one.

5. Moaiyad

Moaiyad New Member

Argentina
    Oct 18, 2018
    Yeah I agree but, maybe the reason of why I would love Cambiasso's goal the most is because I saw it in live

6. Moaiyad

Moaiyad New Member

Argentina
    Oct 18, 2018
    Hi guys;
    Hope everybody is fine.
    This is Moaiyad & I'm Argentina NT fan since my childhood.
    BTW, my English isn't my mother language. So, I'm trying to do my best while typing & sending my opinion to you guys.

Actually, time flys & we've only a couple of years for building a strong NT that can compete in WC 22.

I'm concerned now about the Defence line where we didn't find any brilliant defenders who are activated in Top Europe clubs neither in centre positions nor in wing line positions.
    The only nominated players I know are; Foyth, Taliafico, Otamendi, Garay & Rojo. And honestly I'm not convinced at anyone of them due to performance & ages issue.

Anyway, If you guys would be in a shoes of Scaloni. What would be your selected players? Do we have youngsters defenders whom can be dependent by NT for our next tournaments?

From my point of view, Scaloni has to do his job on discovering new players at this sensitive position to embark on building young players who would be capable to withstand the pressure of WC starting from next friendly matches & WC qualifications matches. ​

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  7. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hello,

First time poster been reading this page for years probably since early 2010's. First your English is fine, no worries. The CB position has long been a weak spot for Argentina. However, there are a plethora of young Argentinean prospects coming up that are excellent. Foyth might be the worst of the bunch as he has stagnated for Spurs. Garay is done with the NT. Otamendi should NOT be called up anymore and Rojo lol if he ever plays again I'll just skip that game. He's a train wreck and one of the worst players to wear the kit in recent years. As for Tagliafico he's a good soldier who has solidified that LB position. It's his to lose for the next few years. The players that should be called up are Martinez in Argentina who has been called up just missed a few Fifa dates due to Copa Lib. Another is Lisandro Martinez who is a bonafide crack. Also plays DM/CM. Then you have guys like Perez another crack, should be starting soon for the team. Romero who's bought by Juve, and Senesi who's having a great year in the Dutch league. There's also Balerdi who's a good young talent but hasn't seen much minutes with Dortmund. Still way to early to write him off. So, there's plenty of good young defenders that they can choose from. At RB there's Montiel who I think should be the starter at RB. There's others who are even younger but showed promise in the the u17 tournament I saw Bruno Amione and Kevin Lomonaco. Too early to say what kind of impact those two will have they could be another mammana/Cassola or Ayala :p but ones to watch for soon.

8. Indeed. And being a defender in the Dutch league for some time now gets the attention of top clubs in Europe.
    CL clubs from Italy bought defenders from low flying Eredivisie clubs like Heracles and FC Groningen. ManCity and Liverpool bought young defenders from PEC Zwolle.
    One defender, who wasnot rated in Germany, a dual national Dutch/German named Gosens, decided to play with Heracles. He attracted the attention of Atalanta and made such an impression overthere he's now sought after by the top clubs and now has the choice between playing for the Orange team or die Mannschaft.
    In anticipation to the expected departure of Gosens Atalanta decided to buy another German from Heracles, who just had landed overthere but developed rapidly.
    So Senesi is in the right league to prepare for defensive tasks in the big leagues and the Argentine team.

9. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    For the Albiceleste, for Argentina, if you guys had to put together a starting 11 for Qatar 2022, then who would be in your starting 11 right now...this is merely for fun but I obviously wanna pick your guys' brains on this

10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #9260 SupaMario, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    As I mentioned this a month or two ago that the silver-lining of canceling this years CA is that Rojo and Otamendi are probably done with the seleccion. Scaloni has done a good job in introducing new players. He was going to phase out the likes of Otamendi and Rojo(or at least I hope was).

Hopefully we have the younger players get a shot at the qualifiers in September.

Albiceleste2010 and locoxriver repped this.
  11. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well Rojo was pretty much done even prior to Covid. Last time he got called up, he magically vanished from the team without playing or even being on the bench. They replaced him within days if not hours when they first called him up. If my memory serves correctly. This whole pandemic has got to me so I might be remembering it wrong. But im sure he was exiled without playing last time. I do still agree pushing the CA further one more year sets Argentina up pretty well. Even though Messi is a year older, this could still be a blessing for them. Hell he looks younger and more fit with the time off. But even then it gives a year for those young guys to develop more. Which offsets messi being older since he's Messi and you can count on him regardless.

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You are right that he was dropped from the November friendlies (injury?), but Rojo joined Estudiantes on loan from Man Utd at the beginning of the year with the idea of getting regular playing time in order to be part of the CA2020 NT squad.

He directly stated that the main purpose of the move was so that Scaloni could keep a close eye on him week-in and week-out after Lionel told him in a private conversation that he needed to be playing regularly if he wanted to be part of the tournament squad.

Now that is not to say he would have certainly been called up for Copa America, but apparently his conversation with our NT coach was promising enough to make him ditch the elite Premier League for a below-mid-table Argentine team. Prior to this, he was called-up for the September and October 2019 friendlies (while still at Man Utd), including starting spots vs. Mexico and Germany. At the very least, Scaloni was considering him for Copa America...

The guy is terrible and there is no reason he should even be considered when we have the likes of L. Martinez, Kannemann, Martinez Quarta, Foyth, Romero, etc. available, but it is a reality that he was in serious contention to form part of the CA squad had the tournament proceeded as originally expected.

On a side note, Man Utd are considering applying disciplinary action on Rojo after he appeared in a livestream smoking cigarettes and playing poker in the middle of Argentina's mandatory lockdown. The guy's an idiot... This clearly won't help him win over his club/country coaches.

Albiceleste2010 and SupaMario repped this.
  13. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We've seen Otamendi getting owned by every opponents we faced throughout Copa. Rojo gets owned by Mbappe so bad, he should have retired after France penalty.

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’ve been somewhat out of the loop since the sports world shut down. But I am looking at the schedule for the 2022 qualifiers and apparently we’ll have games in June 3rd and 8th(2021) And the CA is supposedly going to start June 11...? Since there is money involved I am not sure if the CA will be canceled but qualifiers are a bit of a mess. The only thing they have going to for them is that the 2022 games are gonna be in Nov-Dec and I suspect the qualifiers will go into Feb-March of 2022.

I suppose this is a bit better since there won’t be such a large gap between last qualifier and kickoff to the first World Cup match. I assume the draw will be in June-July.

15. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    WC 22 is still a bit far away with new potential players emerging. But for the Copa 21, I would think that this would be the starting lineup

-------------------------------Armani
    Montiel/Foyth---Pezzella---Quarta---Tagliafico
    ---------------------------Paredes
    ----------------De Paul-----------Lo Celso/Palacios
    ---------------------------Messi
    -------------Dybala/Aguero-----L. Martinez

As long as Otamendi and Rojo are not in the starting XI, then I would be very satisfied.

Also Dybala should really establish himself in the starting XI with Aguero as an impact sub (mainly due to age)

16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For those interested in seeing our guys in action after months of no football, Exequiel Palacios and Lucas Alario will probably be getting some playing time tomorrow as Bayer Leverkusen take on Werder Bremen (11:30 AM PST; FS2 & Fox Deportes).

I don't regularly follow the German league tbh, but online sources seem to indicate that Alario is expected to start, while Palacios should be on the bench. We'll see if that's the case or not (as far as I'm concerned, official line-ups haven't been confirmed), but if not now Exequiel should still get plenty of chances to play soon (9 games scheduled from now til the end of June, including 3 in the span of less than a week following the Bremen game).

... and that's about as much Argentine action we'll be seeing for now.

Ascacibar and Balerdi are the other Argentine nationals playing in the Bundesliga, although neither of the two are consolidated within their squads yet. Santi, despite starting regularly for Hertha BSC prior to the COVID-19 interval, entered the pitch with only 3 minutes left in their 3-0 win over Hoffenheim yesterday, while Balerdi played a little over 20 minutes in Borussia Dortmund's derby victory vs. Schalke. One thing to note, though, is that prior to this Balerdi had only played one Bundesliga game for BVB despite being at the club for 18 months (brought in as a sub in the final ten minutes of a match in Decemeber), so this may be a sign that he has climbed a few steps in their coach's consideration in recent times. We'll see...

----

As for other leagues, Serie A teams are set to restart training sessions tomorrow. The league is expected to resume on June 13 (pending final confirmation), so we may soon be seeing the likes of Lautaro, Dybala, Joaquin Correa, De Paul, Nico Dominguez, Musso, Biglia ( :D ), Pezzella, Cristian Romero, Musacchio, Gio Simeone..

La Liga is rumored to return in mid-June.... The Premier League has been given the green light to resume by the government, although no official date has been set. Many players have voiced their opposition to the idea of returning to the pitch.

The CBF is pushing for a Brasileirao return in June, which could mean the return of Kannemann and Saravia to the pitch in a few weeks.

No word yet as to when the Argentine Primera Division & Copa Libertadores will return for now... :thumbsdown:

Albiceleste2010, soul24rage and Burr repped this.
  17. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    For me my Argentina starting 11 would be:

GK- Armani
    LB- Tagliafico
    CB- Foyth
    CB- Pezzella
    RB- Bustos
    CDM- Paredes
    CM- Lo Celso
    CM- De Paul
    LW- Messi (captain)
    CF- Dybala
    RW- Lautaro

(4-3-3)

18. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Damn that sucks to hear but lets hope Scaloni sees what's right in front of him. I'm pretty optimistic that both won't be there tbh.

In a year from now I'd definitely get Ajax Martinez in the starting line up Foyth wouldn't start for me Montiel is better.

Armani
    Montiel-Martinez-Martinez-Tag
    --------------Paredes
    De Paul------------Palacios
    -------------Messi
    ---------Kun-Lautaro

That's what I think will line up but I would like to have GLC instead of De paul and Dybala instead of Kun. However, because of Allegri the world now think of Dybala as a CAM instead of his actual 9 position. Where he killed it in Palermo and first year Juve.

Bustos is not NT quality yet maybe in a few years but right now nope. Foyth even less so. There's a number of better options. The kid cant even break into Spurs and when he does, he sticks out like a sore thumb. JMO. And Lautaro at RW would be crazy, he's an out an out 9. not a winger.

In 2020

I'd like to see

----------Lautaro
    Almada-Messi-Lo Celso
    --------Palacios-Ascacibar
    Tag-Martinez-Perez-Montiel

If those guys reach there potential this could compete for the trophy.

Ofori repped this.
  19. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    How about Dybala, it is almost like you are leaving him out

20. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was thinking that Lisandro Martinez will most likely participate in the Olympics rather than the Copa, which is why I think Pezzella will start in the Copa.

I'm also more in favor of playing Montiel rather than Foyth as Montiel is familiar with Armani and Quarta in that defensive line and he looked good vs chile and mexico imo.

We'll see what decisions Scaloni will take.

Albiceleste2010, locoxriver and Ofori repped this.
  21. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Messi at 35 years old; will he still have that same impact on a game especially if they get to Qatar 2022

22. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is just me, but I honestly see him having the same impact as he takes care of himself well. He had an interview with Spanish news Mundo Deportivo back in Feb or March I think that he feels better in a physical level than in previous years.

Plus, he knows that this WC will be his last so will be motivated to give everything especially when he feels encouraged of the core members of the team in the Copa 2019.

Ofori repped this.
  23. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah well with a motivated Messi, he is going to want to win that World Cup which means he is going to have to carry this team on his back

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Klose was 36 when he finally won the WC. Zanetti was almost 36 when he finally lifted CL (treble). As long he take care his physical condition (avoiding bad injuries) and still motivated, its not over until he really retires.

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  25. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Icardi or Dybala who do you take to Qatar? Personally, I would take Dybala over Icardi but with Icardi, there's too much controversy because of the Nicolas Lopez situation even though it is all water under the bridge but still it is that and a lot of other factors which prevent Icardi from going to Qatar much less getting call ups for Argentina in general