Argentine NT News, Stats, Players 2009-2010 (R)

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by King Aguero, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Well those were German defenders not La Liga defenders ;).

But Brazil have tough physical defenders who can boss players around.

The thing with Messi and la seleccion is that really he is too alone at times. Same goes for Higuain.

At Barca Messi has players around him constanly, that he can play 1-2's with or that he can feed the ball to. Did you see that pass that he made yesterday for the second goal? He passed it to a defensive midfielder that was in the box! When have you seen Mascherano or even Veron get into a position that high up? And Messi is also the player who has played the most through balls this season in La Liga. He look for players around him.

Barca play a very high line so there are constantly players around. Argentina is not doing this. I've mentioned before that I want everyone playing a little higher up, especially Veron. There's too much of a gap between midfield and the forwards and they are too alienated at times which forces them to try to take on multiple defenders by themselves or forces them to drop back too deep where they are not as effective.

2. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Inter yes,Chelsea, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

3. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm not going to disagree with you on these points but its not what I'm referring to.

What I'm referring to is his finishing ability on the NT versus his finishing ability at Barca. If you are to take Messi with the control of the ball in a scoring position with Barca vs the same position and control with the NT, Messi will most likely score for Barca and NOT for Argentina. That's what I'm referring to.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Samuel is disciplined for the most part, he is a hack but a smart hack, he won't do something stupid and lose control. He is a hack in the good sense, like Passarella and Ruggeri were hacks. We need players like that, who intimidate. Our opponents will try to hack and intimidate our creative players, so you have to fight fire with fire.

5. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have a questions for the posters. The next time that Ballack is faced, who is going to retribute for Micho?

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, he is an idiot.

We have to understand, though, that it's not a conspiracy against Argentines, it's not about nationalities. It's all about a moron's ego. If Florentino had been the one to sign Pipita, and if he had payed 40 million Euros for him, he'd be singing his praises.

And Valdano apparently is Florentino's poodle, that's where his loyalties lie.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That would be the only good reason to put Coloccini on the WC list. If we get Germany, with a couple of minutes left in the match, bring him in, let him sucker punch Ballack and get ejected and then he never plays again. :D

8. Arg10

Arg10 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good question and to be honest, I don't know. If I had to guess, I would say Mascherano. Kind of makes you wonder who has the balls to do something on this team.

Pretty much. Nothing against Valdano, I love him for what he contributed with the NT and I get that he works for Madrid, but not once have I seen him come out and actually say something positive about the Argentine's playing there. Heinze, I can understand. What about Saviola? He was treated like shit in Madrid(Javier takes part of the blame) yet he still scored some goals(when he was getting regular minutes). But when Gago was actually on form, Valdano never praised him. When Gonzalo carried Madrid on his back last season, where was Valdano with the kind words? When Higuain was under fire for a week because of that missed chance in the Champions League against Lyon, Valdano kept his mouth shut and didn't say a damn word of encouragement in the press about Higuain. Nothing at all. Yet when Higuain comes back to score a hattrick, he's full of praise for him. He'd rather spend most of his time praising Ronaldo, Kaka(who's done absolutely zero for Madrid this season) and Benzema, while Higuain gets no recognition from him.

I guess Diego and Heinze were right when they said those things about Valdano.

9. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    But the fact is that recently he does not get into many good scoring opportunities for Argentina precisely because of what I said.

To be fair when Gago was on form and when Higuain was scoring a lot last season Valdano did not work for Madrid. He started his job in June 2009. By that time Gago was already crap.

And he came out pretty much right after Higuain was under fire and said that Higuain would not be sold and was not going anywhere.

10. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Definitely Heinze.

11. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Simeone would have laced Ballack on the next play.

In this aspect, I really feel that the Argentine NT has really lost some ground. Not that we need to be bullys or be seen as such but a couple of years back, a Ballack type player would not have attempted something as ludicrous as breaking someone's face.

Some players reported that Micho's face had dissapeared. Five fractures will do that to you.

12. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Epic rant from NYC that I had the pleasure of reading. :D I agree with the main points you feel. I ranted earlier after watching him in Germany.

epic praise from Henry
    http://goal.com/en/news/1716/champi...d-last-season-was-just-ridiculous-barcelonas-

13. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Really??????????? I think Veron to be honest or Samuel.:cool:

14. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is he holding out??????????? Yeah I think he is, you just wait and see chamigos, the more I think about it there are plans behind the scenes and we will mount an epic challenge for the mundial trophy this summer.:)

15. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Cosmos, here's where you may be missing the plot on Messi. Until last season, Messi wasn't really a good finisher. Okay, maybe he was good but I certainly don't think his finishing ability was top class just yet. And through that time before last year, he carried that same inconsistent finishing to the NT.

Currently, he's improved by leaps and bounds in that department to the point where now he can actually dominate games by just his scoring ability, rather than frustrating defenses by carving them up with his dribbling (which he does now less and less, and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned in order to avoid injuries.)

So now that his scoring ability has gotten better, he simply DOES NOT get the opportunities at the NT. Do me a favor and really critically examine and compare the following with regards to his play at Barca and the NT:
    1. Where he gets possession of the ball.
    2. How many players are usually around him.
    3. How many obvious passing options he has.
    4. Who is making hurtful runs into the defense to make space for him.
    5. How the ball gets played to him. I'm talking here about accuracy. Is it usually an accurate ball at his feet or does he have to overeach, stetch, etc...
    6. The quality of defenders he's playing against.

And there are more points I could add. But after your critically think about those things, if your conclusion is that he has the same situation at Barca than he does for the NT, or that any difference is negligible, and he's not performing the same way only because he cares less about the NT than he does Barca, then we'll agree to disagree.

16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think people outside of Argentina or their supporters are looking at Messi as the next big thing. I talked to friends yesterday(who ever non-argentino) were going crazy for Messi. I get so happy and giddy for Messi's play at Barca I forget what he does not do for us. Another thing that worries me, is that pressure he is going to be under, I have never seen such build up for one player going into a WC. I recall Ronaldinho,Ronaldo(Real Ronaldo) build up for the WC's and neither were as big as this. Now I wonder if Messi wins another CL, and scores 40+ goals(Yet again) I wonder how the media back home will build him up? I will keep my eyes and ears open for that.

17. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Aguero scores two goals, one brilliant one two put two away goals on the board. Athletico defense, like always, as usual, every time blows the lead.

Athletico Madrid sucks so bad it's amazing. These guys are incompetent. Aguero should leave, this team is a joke.

edit: they hold on with edge on aggregate all thanks to aguero.

18. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    At the end of the day, this club depends more on Higuain, than Higuain on Real Madrid.

19. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cerezo, presi del Aleti, chicaneó: "Si lo quieren, que nos den a Cristiano, Kaká, Higuaín y algo de dinerillo.

:D:D:D

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's F'N classic, a nice FU to RM.So I am guessing that is a big NO for Kun leaving to Real.

21. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said. When you see Messi get the ball at Barca, his teammates fill the spaces around him so that the defenders cannot completely leave their assignments. Whenever I watch Argentina games, he's in an awkward position and trying to dribble around three defenders who don't have any responsibility other than stripping the ball from him.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right. I think that is one of the major factors, and the other factor is the pressure that he's feeling when he puts on the albiceleste.

I think Maradona in this case is doing the right thing, in terms of giving him support and not taking him out of matches when he's struggled. He has to keep defending him when the press and the fans start pressuring and questioning him, because we need a confident Messi to have our best shot at winning.

But Messi is going to have to deal with the pressure like a man, to prove he's a great one. And his teammates also will need to help him out more on the field. Hopefully that will come as they practice and play more together during the time before the World Cup.

23. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    People has suggested Samuel and Heinze, but i was thinking of Tevez, just look at him in last World Cup's match against Germany.

Apparently one of the considerations to exploit Messi's abilities on the national team would be to bring people that can serve to the national team and Messi would feel more comfortable with, there 3 names as of now, Milito(Messi's teammate, it's said that he was recently praised by Puyol for his value to the team off-the-pitch), Ustari(a former roommate of Messi) and the third name but less likely is Zabaleta(apparently a good friend of Messi). What do you guys think?

24. threervana

threervana Member

Jun 4, 2008
    China
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What abt El Kun? He is close to Messi as far as i've heard, as well as Gago:rolleyes:

25. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I read an article a few years ago, when Zabaleta was still at Espanyol, and it talked about how Messi and Zabaleta were very close and that, at the time, Zabeleta was the only friend messi had in the city. I don't think players should be chosen bc they are friends with Messi by any means, but when I look at these 3 players, I have no doubt they deserve to be there on merit.

Ustari is a proven GK who played with Independiente, won the U20 wc, and the olympics (although injured before the final). Meanwhile the other choices diego has in mind for the 3rd GK spot, Pozo and Campestrini, play for small clubs and have no expirience with the NT at any level. Ustari, having been in there in 2006, could be useful to the group, not just messi. I also cannot stress enough how pathetic pozo was against catalunya.

Zabaleta is a good player who won everything, like ustari and messi and aguero, at the youth level. He is a much better option at RB or LB than Otamendi or Heinze.

Milito is good. People say he has been hurt, but if Diego is going to "wait for Angeleri until the last possible moment" why not wait for Milito? Milito is actually proven at the NT level, while Angeleri has played a handful of minutes.