Argentina vs. Germany (World Cup 2006) [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 24, 2006.

1. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006

That's exactly what the English say about us, so why the bad feelings? It's over- we lost.

2. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Time for me to chime in. Firstly congratulations to the German team. Spirit, heart and team work can take you a long way. You guys played your game and took advantage of Pekermans odd subs and tactics. Now that being said I'll start to rant with my tidings from the first buzz of the day.

Peker por que? Why would you make subs that would play right into the Germans needs? We've never overloaded the pitch with defensive minded players so why now? Cambiasso for Lucho would be fine but not for Riquelme. Regardless of what some believe, we lose leads when Roman comes off the pitch. I thought Roman played well considering the pressure they kept sending his way. His service I thought was good at worst and it did get us our goal. Cruz? Never understood why he made this team. Palacio I was okay with for some reason but Cruz aside from his season at Inter has never impressed me. He actually looked awkward on the ball for an Argentine and as a target guy with no one in midfield to provide service what was the point. Messi/Aimar would've ran all over the pitch.

Roberto Ayala was hands down our best player at this tournament. Bold statement but so true. He dominated players much bigger than him and yesterday was no exception. Too bad he won't get another shot in 2010.

Lost in all of the hoolabaloo from yesterday was what a rock solid match Fabricio Coloccini had. I've never seen him play that good since his youth days. Maybe he becomes a stud for 2010.

We've Argentines waited four long years for redemption and to be honest I feel really cheated. To me this was big tease leading up to 2010 and the next four years are going to seem even longer. Sure we have the Copa America and it's nice to see the younsters get some time but at the end of the day it's the World Cup that matters. Do I think Pekerman should have quit? Honestly no. We've played as good as a team as I can remember in my 37 young handsome years. He learned a valuable lesson in coaching yesterday and I think he could grow from it.

This cup is over as far as I'm concerned. I'll check the sports tickers but that will be about it. Again congrats to Germany and good luck going forward. Para mis Albicelestes; la futura es tuyos y gracias de mi corazon.

p.s. InDaSoup, please don't be so bitter. At least we didn't lose to the English

3. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    That was quite eloquent and very much spot on how I feel (although I just can't bring myself to congratulate the German team. Just can't). I agree with you about 2010, and I think with all the young talent we have now, we have nowhere to go but up. I think Brazil's reign is over and it is time for us to step up.

Your opinion of Ayala is spot on. That man is pure class and I really wish he could stay on. I think Riquelme is being judged too harshly. We got quite a few goal assists from him and he handled the ball quite well. The German's pressured us but it was in no way a repeat of the Mexico game. The game itself , like the illusion of the cup, was good while it lasted.

4. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    I hope yesterday served as a lesson to this team...a lesson that hopefully will remain FOREVER!!! Playing out of character is a dangerous thing to do. This team has shown time and time again that it doesn't work for us. It is ironic how coming into this WC, the big questions were about Pato and the uncertainty on defense. Had you told me that Pato & those boys would put in the performances that they did, I would have bet any amount of money that we would be walking away victors from Germany. From top to bottom, the boys in the back performed with true grit and courage (though their were some lapses). Seriously, how many people were putting down guys like Burdisso & Scaloni. You know what, they came in and played their hearts out. I, for one, am so proud that I could never fully express it.
    So they held up their ends of the bargain and somehow with our overload of talent in the midfield and upfront, we manage to lose. I love Peckerman but I think he got this one wrong.
    I've said it before and I'll always say it again, I thought that overall this team played the best football of the tournament. I'll never go along with idiots who berrate the Germans cuz I think they played with courage, but clearly this Argentine team was superior to them even though we did not display our best. This loss will hurt for so long. I was trully depressed yesterday. I will not listen to people who say there's no shame to losing to the Germans. That may be true but it will never be good enough for me. I'm tired of something always going wrong for this team. As a lifelong fan, I've suffered too much and I really thought that this would be the year that some of the frustrations would be replaced by pure joy. I know I will get over it at some point and start getting excited about 2010 but man, that won't be for a while.
    It's a good thing that my 2 most mortal ennemies went packing also...Had either Brazil or England won this cup, I would have gone even more crazy. At the same time, it hurts even more seeing as how those big obstacles were taken care of for us, and we're still not gonna win. Oh well, I'm definitely have no interest in this WC anymore other than hoping that neither Germany or Italy wins...so I'll be cheering a little for Zizou, Thierry et les bleues.

5. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well said. None of those concerns cost us. I was pleased with the way Burdisso and Scaloni played but Coloccini yesterday was very impressive. Hands down the best he's played for club or country in a long time. Too bad his performance will be completely ignored in the end.

6. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    lame way to decide a match if you ask me.

All you guys TRAIN for is the possibility of a PK shootout. That isnt soccer, nor is it representative of the game. Merely a cointoss.

A BETTER way to decide it would be to let the game keep going until the first team scores. Then we could see if Germany would've played any better.

You've nothing to be proud of. Hopefully, you'll either improve from your lame header, cross, header, cross, header, cross style or lose to Italy.

7. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany

your team scored from a standart situation and the goal was scored from a defender..our goal was scored from a fieldplay....penaltshootout is part of the rules to end games after 120 minutes.....if your players are not mental strong enough to score good penaltys its not our problem....

in addition :
    more excuses ...1990 your team won how many penaltyshoot outs??? and your team played in the final for a penaltyshootout from the start too..how pathetic is that??..never seen before in worldcup history...1 shot in the whole game ,a freekick from maradona 1-2 meters over the bar...the most dangerous situation for german keeper illgner was a brehme backpass.....germany had 25 shots...and all this lame excuses we was robbed 1990 ....robbed of what??? maybe the crowd was robbed of addidtional 30 minutes extratime argentinian antifootball ???klinsmann (monzon ellbowed him in the air) and augentaler (goicochea) was fouled in the penaltyzone without penalty call..and there was a no penaltycall for a foul from matthäus..so you got lucky twice before.. völler and my team was awarded a undeserved penalty, yes....but anyway.... the victory was more than deserved not only for this game, for the tournament too...

i think its worth to mention too....

8. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    no..1974 gerd müller was recalled a perfect goal in minute 59 of the game , he was 2 meters onside and not offside ......and hölzenbein was fouled clearly in minute 89 of the game in the penaltyzone without penaltycall ..i have olso on dvd a interview of dutchplayer ari haan he did 1979 and his opinion of the final.. he said in very good german language that he was surprised that the crowd and the german players havent complained after gerd müller was recalled a legal goal and that he think germany could have won this game 3:1..

germany maybe was robbed of a 3:1 win ??.gerd müllers wrongfully recalled goal 1974 has cost him his alltime worldcup goalrecord..müller 14 goals ronaldo 15 goals now...lol....

van basten did a greg luganis 1990 against germany and he did a half lagunis in the the 1988 europeanchampionship semifinal against my team ..both actions have ended with a gift penalty for netherland..german players are not worster than anybody else in the world..ronaldo yesterday dived too and this has cost france nearly the deserved 1:0 lead ..the action was in minute 88 i think........and was maradonas handball on the goaline against sovietunion 1990 fair play??i have his action on dvd..no penaltycall...

9. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    So please tell me, which team needed a corner to score? And which team had no other scoring chance, except of their goal, for which they needed a corner?

P.s.: I really don't understand all the hate...:(

10. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    i'm not being bitter :rolleyes:

i'm giving my honestly held opinion, forgive me if that's a crime, please don't be so condescending.

germany are nothing special me thinks, we are far superior, and but for peker's defensive approach to the game, we would have proved it.

11. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    Germany were well prepared to take the penalties. While i was watching the tv yesterday they showed what Lehman was doing before Cambiasso took his PK: you will all get shock to know this because i was shocked,too. While Cambiasso came to take the PK, Lehman took one small notebook from his socks and read that note, put that again inside his socks and next thing we saw was a penalty save. no doubt that he guessed every penalty right. I am just wondering how they did it?:confused:

12. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Moishe, Marielaus, albi-siempre, Asalieri: All great posts, i'm morbidly glad i'm not the only one who is apoplectic over this whole elimination.

i admit i cynically waited to watch the screwups of Colo, and really cannot remember anything but great plays after a very early turnover. His play exceeded what everyone thought he would do, and he should be lauded for his efforts.

Ayala showed why his presence back there is absolutely necessary, and further illustrates how is absence from the '02 squad was probably the biggest reason for that horrible exit in '02.

So many players played so well on Friday that i really am at al oss to explain how this game was lost. once the subs were made and Germany scored, it was very obvious to me that Germany were going to win. Ironic, that the guy most of us complained about prior to the Copa as a weakness - Pato -turned out to be IMO the primary factor as to why the team slothed into the pks knowing they were going to lose. if Pato is there, i think the kick takers feel better about everytyhnig, and they kick with more confidence. I just couldn't help thinking over and over "I can't believe how badly i want that Bostero in goal now"!

That Brazil is out is consolation albeit scant, becasue as marielaus points out, that was the only team aside from Germany that could really beat Argentina, and they were caught in the funk of their worst WC play since '90. Yesterday's results onlt concretized what we all know, that Argentina despite the pre-tournamnet question marks for the long tooths on the back and Pato, were the class of the field and the path, Germany aside, could only have been easier if Argentina were in Italia's bracket.

I agree that Pekerman should stay, he would benefit great;y from this experience. He would learn what each of you have said and what i've said before - the only time i've seen the "catenaccio" style work was in '90, against Brasil and Italia. that's it. Pekerman should have at least considered Aimar and Messi for his subs, given Pato's injury. But, we've been through that already.

i will say i hope kids in Argentina who are tall and quick realize how important a goalkeeper is to a team and consider trying to be the next Fillol, Pumpido or Goyco, who we all can see are as vital to Cup play as arguably any other position. while not trying to slight Franco, who was placed in a tough situation, the goalkeeping depth is piss poor. Ustari is a very good young keeper, but he needs to progress and stay healthy, because i don't see as many star defenseman as forwards for 2010. But, again that is a long way away.

Finally, after seeing the German goal a million times it seems, i think Heinze could've stayed home and gotten that ball. For an instant he forgot about Klose and instinctively went towards the initial ball into the area. Amazing what one slip up will do, eh?

Thanks for allowing me to rant, honestly it is sadly theraputic.

Que gana Italia or Portugal.

Chau y que disfruten el Cuatro de Julio

13. Futballer

Futballer New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Canada
    Exactly.....it makes you think...
    Lehman knew exactly where it was going. if you watch the replay in slow motion hes almost on the ground before Cambiasso shoots the ball.

14. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    They are psychics just like the Italians.
    [​IMG]
    Will be a great game. :cool:

15. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Oh yea, Germans definitely train to play a full 120 minutes and then get to penalties. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Maybe just maybe, Germany finally found a good opponent to play who held them to a close game, Argentina scoring from a corner and then Germany showing heart and unity to get the equalizer from open play (their first heading goal of the tournament).

The bitterness is still overwhelming I can tell you that much.

16. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't get cocky and think Argentina didn't have chances. If Crespo hadn't been tired, that horrible backbass by your defense (Which Tevez still picked up but Maxi squandered it into the side netting), that could easily have been a goal, and it wasn't the only time that Crespo's tired legs caused him to miss an interception.

17. aniston

aniston New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Stockholm, Sweden
    germans are not ppl so dont listen to these insects, we all know argentina dominated the match they just didnt have the luck to finish them off.

18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Damn.. I forgot to post the Argentina-Germany pics.. :eek: Well, here they are..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]