Argentina vs. Germany (Quarter Finals) - July 3, 2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    It's on, beeatch...

:D

2. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So in short, regardles of how it finished competent and incompetent coaches all of them had more or less the same result. And that's being on the quarter finals on the 3 of the last 4 world cups.

3. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've never seen so many players come out and publically announce their support for an Argentine DT in all my time watching futbol.

Rightfully so, Diego has taken this team farther than anyone before him since 1990. That's a fact jack and there is nothing that can change that. Also he did this in a month's time. He certainly didn't have the time that any other coach previous to him had. Pekerman was the only one that can come close considering that he took over after Bielsa resigned. But then again, he was the leading coach of over 90% of the NT players since their Sub-20 days. Between Pekerman and Tocalli, they both knew those players INSIDE AND OUTSIDE, how they didn't get farther is beyond me.

So Diego's month with the NT has outclassed and outshone all those previous to him by a mile, considering how he had to end up managing this team.

4. Brandon10

Brandon10 Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How Pekerman did not get farther is beyond you? You watched 2006 right? Deigo has been with them for about 2 years actually, not to mention his opponents were far weaker than Pekermans. He has taken this team the same distance as the last coaches, with more humiliating results, what are you talking about? Please did you even watch this Germany game? Let me have whatever you are on please.

5. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pekerman has been with:

Riquelme since 97
    Samuel since 97
    Sorin since 95
    Scaloni since 97
    Aimar since 2000
    Saviola since 2001
    Cambiasso since 97
    Franco since 97
    Tevez since 2003
    Cufre since 95
    Coloccini since 2001
    Maxi Rodriguez since 2001
    Lucho Gonzalez since 2001

Pekerman was the coach of these players since their teenage years when he went to the World Cup in 2006. He knew these players INSIDE AND OUT, more so than any other coach before him and SINCE HIM. He took Cambiasso to TWO U20 WORLD CUPS for Christ's Sake!!!

How he didn't win the World Cup with those players is BEYOND ME!!!

6. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    LOL, what an utterly useless statistic. One that has been thrown around for days now by all the Diego defenders after we were eliminated on various foro and in some media. "But guys he came in 5th on points!!!!" What does it matter if you come in 5th or 8th. You still got eliminated in the quarters in the most HUMILIATING way possible.

We've NEVER had an easier group stage, we've NEVER had a more talented bunch of attackers. And with all due respect all the teams we've faced upto Germany were equipitos que se gana con la camiseta.

And Ruggeri? Another failed mediocrity who has proved nothing as a coach. Batista? Brown? Shouldn't those tools talk less and actually get their teams qualified for the youth world cups??

I'm telling you know, the 86 generation has destroyed our football from the way down. It will be a long time when (if??) we ever recover from this.

I'm glad you're back Cosmos but if you just woke up from your nightmare I can assure you mine has just begon for another 4 more years. Because this is not something I wanted to wake upto :mad:

7. Brandon10

Brandon10 Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes all of that cannot account for playing against a strong host country, with a biased referee. We were by far the best team of that tournament and miles ahead of the Spain that just won this World Cup. Also at least he gave us a fighting chance against that Germany, while Diego gave us zero chance against them on neutral ground.

I do not know how it is possible for you to defend him, you have to make up things like that Diego got us farther when in reality they lost at the same stage. Or you make up that he only had them for a month, when actually he had the chance to make a cohesive team for 2 years, but instead he threw it all together in the last month because he had no idea what he was doing.

I am very surprised that you haven't mentioned anything about not bleeding for the shirt, or trying hard enough.

We had horrible horrible tactics, and I give full credit to the German coach for completely exploiting everything that was wrong with our team. It is truly insanity to defend him as a coach with the results simply staring you in the face. He gave us some of our worst games in history, we had no teamwork, no midfield, a weak defense, no gameplan, our star player in the wrong position, we lacked a great amount of our best possible players.

What is worst of all, and is something I have been saying for a long time is that he never ever learned from his mistakes. He never fixed things with a light touch. If we won, everyone played great and nothing needed to be changed or fixed. If we lost then everyone played bad and we had to start over again. This is how he coached. He didn't see the smaller mistakes when we won, or see the real reasons why we lost.

We played horrible against Mexico and got away with 3 goals, so he learned nothing and kept the lineup the same. He didn't notice the weak midfield, or the fact that Messi dropped really deep to pick the ball up or that Demichelis makes too many mistakes. We played bad against Germany the first time and he fixed nothing from that game. Germany learned a lot from that loss obviously, we learned again, NOTHING. He just doesn't learn and if you expect him to suddenly learn how to learn from his mistakes after 2 years then you are truly blind and there is nothing to discuss.

8. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's upsetting , very upsetting to learn the same fool will remain in charge.

To all those who defend him .Do you enjoy seeing the seleccion treated like a personal plaything and vehicle for his ego ?

It's not his to ruin and destroy. The rest of the footballing world will be breathing a collective sigh of relief and laughing at the same time that we appoint the same clueless numpty again.

If he cannot see the weaknesses after the Mexico game that led to the humiliation of the quarter final how can he be called a coach.

What's the new plan ? Leo run wherever you like do what you want ? Pipita stay near the 18 yardbox and shoot to the goal ? :rolleyes:

No doubt all the old useless rubbish will remain like Heinze outpaced by Lamb. Lamb !! :rolleyes:

No doubt they want to see him remain. He ignores Banega ,Ansaldi and no doubt will ignore the best youngsters.

When does the nightmare end ? After another struggle to qualify ,another thrashing in the next WC ?

This AFA is a disgrace of an association and Grondona needs to be eliminated somehow.

The highest paid most ineffectual coach gets to ruin the seleccion for another 4 years. A slap in the face of coaches like Martino and co.

Who does he see lifting the WC this time ? Garce aged 34..........

I give up. Football fans the world over rely on hope. This news kills that hope.

9. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well said. The Argentine public should be protesting to the AFA aside from the small minority for whom Diego can do no wrong. The seleccion belongs to them not him as it represents them and the name of Argentina across the globe.

10. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    What happens if Diego gets a dream that we have won the 2014 World Cup, and Diego Simeone and Garbiel Batistuta are the only faces he remembers in the shirt?

11. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hope they are getting ready to make an Almedyaesque comeback. You know amigo if it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

It's like putting a novice driver in charge of a Ferrari F40.Usually ends up in a horrific crash.

12. braine

braine Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Belgium
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The answer was already given by BS member Rattlehead ;

' Pekerman side could have done much better if he didnt sub Riquelme & Crespo or at least put Messi, Saviola or Aimar as replacement'

That was IMO a HUGE tactical error at WC2006 by Pekerman.
    The static ,big German defenders hate small quick,movable players and by bringing up Julio Cruz you give them just what they like,and what is more the Argentinian's attack lost their sharpness en dept ...

13. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, right. That's why our small, quick and movable players (Messi, Tevez, Higuain, Aguero) couldn't score even one goal against Germany in QF.

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Higuain is 6 foot 1 inch or 1.85 m. He's not small.

15. braine

braine Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Belgium
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You're forgetting one big detail!
    AT WC2006 Argentina was leading the score with 1-0 to Germany what means a HUGE difference in modern football !!
    The Germans has to come out what lead to counterpossibilities for Argentina...
    You need fast ,quick players for the counterattack,not the kinds of players like Julio Cruz...

16. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Un aleman, un argentino, una senora mayor y una mina con unas tet@s infernales en un tren con camarotes.

Estando los cuatro sentados en el camarote, el tren pasa por un tunel, se apagan las luces; en el medio del tunel se escucha un PLAF! y a la salida, cuando vuelve la luz, aparece el aleman con cinco dedos marcados en la cara.

El aleman piensa: "El argentino le quiso tocar una tet@ a la
    senorita, esta se confundio y me pego el cachetazo a mi".

La mujer mayor piensa: "El aleman le quiso tocar una tet@ a la senorita, esta se ofendio y le pego un cachetazo."

La teton@ piensa: "El aleman me quiso tocar una tet@, se
    confundio y se la toco a la vieja, esta se ofendio y le pego un cachetazo"

Y el argentino piensa: "No veo la hora de pasar por otro tunel asi le doy otro cachetazo a este aleman hijo de put@ que nos dejo afuera del mundial."

17. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    awesome, man!..

18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    More than two weeks have passed since this match was played and it is now part of history. Time to close the thread.